recipes

Options
if only I had some money to go and buy all this healthy food. some of it really is way expensive. i have not a lot of food in my house and no money to go shopping right now i have been going to food pantries. so what would yall say are some cheap healthy recipes ( that are tasty:tongue: )

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    im broke too, i eat a lot of chicken and broccoli.
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I agree on chicken...Also, veggies (fresh, unpackaged) are cheap and go a long way.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What do you get in your bag/box?

Staples I usually get are:
    Tuna
    Peanut Butter
    Cereal
    Powdered Milk
    Velveeta (if you're lucky)
    Canned veggies
    Canned fruit

Is that what you have?

As for stuff to buy- rice and beans, baby, rice and beans.
  • mrsprazak05
    mrsprazak05 Posts: 109
    Options
    Beans are very very good for you...and I bought a bag of mixed beans (15 different beans)...and have soaked them...but now I'm not sure what to do with them...as I don't care for bean soup....hmmm...any ideas???
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    I don't have any recipes here, but have you ever tried using coupons when shopping? It takes just a bit to get the hang of things, when when you match coupons with sales, you can save a lot of $ -- 30-40% at least.... and sometimes more as you get better. I use couponmom.com and readily recommend it to anyone looking to save money. Start first with reading some of the free ebooks and articles that explain how to get the most out of your shopping...

There are printable coupons there, info on things on sale in different grocery, drug, mass market retailers... and also make sure to visit the forum: a lot of great people there to give tips on both local stores and national ones! (as well as coupon links, etc.)

HIH!
  • yellowhouse
    Options
    A really good cheap and filling salad...4-5 servings

1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of corn (drained)/or 2 ears of cooked corn
    juice of 1 lime
    1 mango (cut into chunks - save the pit)
    cillantro (just a few sprigs-I usually cut with scissors)
    1/2 onion chopped
    1/2 red or orange pepper (or both) chopped
    jalapeno pepper (I remove seeds) finely chopped

toss everything but lime juice into a bowl and add a little salt. I take the lime juice and with my hands squeeze any leftover pulp from the mango and mix the two together to make a dressing for the salad. It gets better the longer it sits in the refrigerator. Sometimes I add chopped avocado to the mix as well.