Battle With Carbohydrates

Options
2»

Replies

• SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    I also find that I lose just fine (actually pretty big loses) by eating very low carb...high fat. Makes me feel so much better too...give me the energy I need to exercise, which of course rids me of unwwanted inches!!! I'm like somebody else here said....eating refined carbs just makes me GAIN big!! Heck...I can just look at refined bad carbs and blow up like a balloon!! I do love 'em though.....:explode: Just a choice I have to make....and I'm chosing HEALTH and ENERGY!! Lots of good info in this thread...thanks to everybody!! :wink:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just be sure that you're getting in LOTS of veggies. Fiber is your friend! Back in the early 00's when Atkins roared back onto the scene, you had dumb people who pretty much exorcised fiber from their diet...then wondered by they were spending 30 minutes in the bathroom.

I personally go with a moderate carb, 40-30-30 diet, and feel that it works well for me. All whole grain and fruit though. I refuse to touch white bread and pasta. But I loooove nuts and nut butters. Yum. Screw the pie, just give me a jar of almond butter.

LEANLIONESS! I've followed your posts. You make me so happy--you follow low carb the way it was meant to be followed. My mom did Atkins back when it was all the rage. Yuck, I still remember the nasty taste of that chemical-laden, trans-fatty bread.

Might I ask some of your favorite breakfasts? Whenever I think of great low carb meals, breakfast is always what stumps me. I mean, omelettes, duh, but I'd imagine you ate more than that!

Do you eat much dairy? What about Greek yogurt?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reading LL! Your help has been invaluable. :flowerforyou:

And Phoenix - You look amazing! Great job! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I find I actually feel lots better when eating low carb. I don't have such emotional mood swings. I have more energy & I've never suffered with the headaches or problems sometimes associated with low carb. It's perfect for me.
    I'm not good at portion control when craving certain foods. I just don't know when to quit - so cutting out potatoes, cereals, pasta & bread except on special occasions is the way to go for me.
    I have them once in a while at a restaurant when I don't have access to the leftovers! :wink:
    Works for me!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your body does need SOME carbs. One thing that helps me restrict my carbs and not crave them is to eat a packet of the Quaker instant oatmeal (the weight control one) in the morning. It has tons of fiber and protein in it, and satisfies that carb craving. I don't know if your carbs are restricted as much as say, someone doing Atkins. If you can have more carbs that that, this might work for you.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I lost on Atkins, but it was not a plan I could follow forever, and I found that for myself, pounds lost doing something that you can't feel comfortable doing, and that is not easily integrated into one's normal routine, are pounds that can come back, and bring some of their friends along as well :laugh: :laugh:

For those who are willing to do Atkins "right" and never go off it, I applaud you. For those of us who are looking for a way that will work over the long haul, because we don't feel deprived, and who still want to eat healthy, I think the Zone Diet is a better fit. I am on my own version of this plan, and I don't feel deprived, but I don't crave carbs either.

Below is a link to information on this plan, available thru a trusted source on the internet, Web MD:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/zone-what-it-is

If you google "the Zone Diet" you will find all kinds of resources. Also, Barry Sears, the doctor/scientist who came up with "the Zone" has a book out about the benefits of pharmeceutical grade fish oil as a supplement. Since your own doctor sounds like they know a thing or two about nutrition, you might want to find out if fish oil might be an addition to your diet that will benefit you in fighting the conditions you mentioned in your profile.

Good luck, whatever path you choose. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Your body does need SOME carbs. One thing that helps me restrict my carbs and not crave them is to eat a packet of the Quaker instant oatmeal (the weight control one) in the morning. It has tons of fiber and protein in it, and satisfies that carb craving. I don't know if your carbs are restricted as much as say, someone doing Atkins. If you can have more carbs that that, this might work for you.

You don't stay restricted forever on Atkins..................If you do Atkins, by the book, you are continuously adding in new foods every week.............

It is called moving up the carb ladder. The reason he has you to add in foods 1 at a time is to see if your body is intolerant to any particular food.................whether it is a veggie, fruit, nut, dairy product, a particular grain, etc.............

Like I just found out while working with my natural pharmacist that I have an allergy to brocolli. I can eat it raw in very small quantities, but if I steam it, I swell up and retain water terribly. So now, brocolli is supposed to be removed from my eating for 9 months and then add it back in.

However, I do put it in my morning smoothie in small quantities. I drink a "green" smoothie every morning that has veggie base and some fruit for flavor................I have recipes if anyone is interested.