overeating at night.

Options
Morning and afternoon are the ones that I'm fine with, as I bring my lunch outside. Usually under 800 calories. But everytime I return home I will stuff myself with food even though I don't require it, just because I feel bored.
How to stop this incessant eating?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep and hydrating? Are you eating enough food throughout the day?

Make sure you are eating enough calories in general and from good sources, and enough Protein and Fat. The Carbs are what cause the cravings.
  • lizzybeth5983
    lizzybeth5983 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep my hands busy at night when I am home. I found that if I just sit and watch TV I will eat even though I am not hungry. SO i started finding things to do :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I keep my hands busy at night when I am home.

Odd, I do this as well.
  • fuzzypam
    fuzzypam Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the same problem, I think its because I am bored or stressed out. Trying to chew gum and drink water to help me with this bad habit. If I really really need something to eat I got some sugar free popsicles. Also I am new to my fitness pal and could use all the help I can get. Thanks
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    same here.. i need to break this bad habit so badly!!!!
  • trcox21
    trcox21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do the same thing. My down fall is I crave sweets at night.
  • kadda
    kadda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Now, straight after dinner, I brush my teeth. It signals to my brain that I am done for the day. Seems to be working so far!
  • bvicky111
    Options
    I suffer with severe sugar cravings. I have lost 5 stone now and the craving had got unbearable. I have discussed this with a dietitian. They state when you restrict your intake of carbohydrates which is the main source of your bodies quick energy food you seek sugary foods as they give an instant energy hit.

When you eat the sugary food you become more relaxed and the craving obviously dissipate. HOWEVER...

Due to sugary foods being 'empty' nutritionally wise, your energy levels quickly drop again which sets off the cravings. This becomes a vicious cycle.

The more sugary foods we consume the more we crave them.

I suggest adding wholemeal bread, brown rice, whole porridge oats etc to your diet. These slow release energy foods will satisfy your cravings and keep hunger at bay.

DONT restrict yourself of all carbs...everything is fine in moderation...this is coming from someone who had limited herself to 500 calories a day! Im now back eating properly again and the sugar cravings have eased immensely!

hope this helps!