Protein shakes!?

Options
When do you drink them? Before or after a workout? Should I drink them? We have the powder at my house, I just really know nothing about it. Help!?

Replies

• shrdlicka23
    Options
    I don't use the stuff but I know a lot of people do. When I was in high school and played sports, I would eat a power bar after my practices so I'd assume a shake would be the same.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was always told after a workout! U can make fruit shakes too. Use some fruit the powder, milk or water and ice! Yum
  • TheMarshal
    Options
    I prefer to drink them after a workout, since that is when (I believe) your body is more receptive to protein to help build muscle. I have, on occasion, drank one prior to a race, simply because it was my "breakfast of choice" during training, and I didn't want to risk going with something new on race day.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually drink mine after a workout. If I am going for a really early ride, I'll drink it before. If the ride is a really long one, I'll have one water bottle with water and one with protein powder and water. Just depends. :smile:
  • melissageist
    Options
    after!
  • cupcakestarz
    Options
    I usually drink them after my workout or sometimes for breakfast:)
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    i have mine at the hungriest part of the day... & I use the kind that "fluffs" up so it realllllllly fills me up right when I need it.
  • TMcMillan
    TMcMillan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink mine either for breakfast or after a workout.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I drink them after working out and whenever else I want.
  • OneChanceOneLife
    OneChanceOneLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Before and after a workout usually, and sometimes during the day. Depends on how hungry I am and if I am trying to increase my protein consumption or not.
  • Bortnipx
    Bortnipx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing!
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    max 1 hour after workout. Make a smoothie using the protein powder, berries, banana o whatever fruit you want :D

It helps you a lot to recover and build your muscles :D
  • LorettaMC16
    LorettaMC16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually have one for breakfast, chocolate protein powder, fresh or frozen strawberries and either water or milk. Yummy. I was also told that it is best to have them after a workout not before.
  • sassysarah92
    sassysarah92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My trainer said after workout and if you drink them before it is just a waste but she also said that you can drink them as a snack. She also said that you should eat within an hour of exercising and have the protein shake within the first half an hour after exercise preferably the first 10-15mins after (she did say why but I cant remember that bit)
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'll drink after a work-out, either as soon as I get home or a couple hours later at my usual snack time. I like to mix my (chocolate-flavored) powder with milk.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Basically drink it as soon as you can after working out. I used to set it up in the shaker cup (minus water) work out then on the way out fill it up with water, shake and drink.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Protein helps to make you feel full. You can use protein shakes as a meal replacement and not feel too hungry by your next meal. Protein also helps to repair your muscles after working out. That's why most people drink them after working out, to begin the repair on the muscles you've broken down during your work out.
  • Danardeener
    Danardeener Posts: 255
    Options
    I divide my protein shakes in half. I drink half before my workout and the other half after.
  • sthomse5
    sthomse5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Right after your workout is the best time. Muscles are made of protein and they need to be replenished after a good workout. It will help keep you from getting sore and prolongs your energy. They are also great as a snack! But I prefer mixing them with water for a snack, fewer calories. I save milk for after the gym!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have mine as a late moning snack. Whey protien, Frozen strawberries, banana, milk.