Confessions of a gymaphobe

Options
jbwegner
jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
So, I have a membership to a really nice gym. I've had it for a year. I've been four times--3 times last summer and once this past week. I really want to get in there, use the weights, take the classes, swim in the pool. But I am so scared and intimidated. 10 years ago, I was in the gym all the time taking all the classes and loving it. But now, I just feel so scared...like are people staring at me in disgust or pittying me? Or, I am such a klutz, what if I get hurt? Or what if I do something wrong, especially with the wrights/machines? :sad:

Has anyone else felt this way? How did you get over it? Maybe I should just drop the membership, and try to do it all at home....but that's just not as luxurious or well-equipped.

If I had never let myslef get this fat to begin with, I wouldn't have this problem. AHHHH!

Replies

• RunLillian
    RunLillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all I say who cares what other peole think? When you're old and grey are you going to look back and give a crap about what people thought of you? the answer is no!

No one should look at you in disgust...they should be giving you the credit you deserve to go out there and work towards a healthier life! You used to do it and there is no reason to stop now. Once you've gone a few times you'll start to feel better. If you're worried about not using the machine correctly just watch someone else do it. That's what I do. No one expects you to walk into the gym knowing everything.

Don't cancel the membership! Getting out of the house and being around others is motivation in itself. stick with it and you'll see a change in no time!

:happy:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Everyone at the gym is so obsessed with what they're doing that I promise you they aren't going to pay any attention to you at all.

Don't let that get in the way of you reaching your goal. You deserve more than that!

Take FULL advantage of that beautiful gym that you are PAYING your hard earned money for.
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    The more you go, the more comfortable you feel with it : D
    Going with my sister to work out also gave me more confidence to stick to the gym, maybe you should find a gym partner?

There are the times when somebody might look your way, but as long as you're working hard, good god just take it as a compliment. They're probably cheering you on in their minds as well.

People tend to look down on those that aren't putting effort into their gym workouts, not the ones that are there for good reason.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Try to find a workout buddy, and it will be far less intimidating. I know how you feel about the gym, believe me. Been there! I've actually had some buff guys at the gym making fun of me while I did my cardio. I wouldn't have cared if I had a friend with me, but I was alone and just couldn't handle it.

Most people at the gym seem to already be thin and fit. If I were going to venture back to the gym, I would definitely find a women's gym.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I bought a membership years ago and hardly used it much until maybe two years ago. I was kind of nervous about starting up again and felt that surely everyone is staring at klutzy me! NOT! I think everyone is actually too self-absorbed and not paying much attention to anyone else.

It helps to walk around with some attitude, even if you don't feel it... yet! :glasses: But the more you go, the easier it gets. I walk around like I know what I'm doing, HA! :laugh:

If you can, pay for sessions with a trainer. Really helps to get proper instruction and a program designed for your specific needs.

Some of the guys are stinky about moving heavy weights off the machines when I ask. I just smile & ignore them! Don't take it personally! :flowerforyou:
  • jbwegner
    Options
    Try to find a workout buddy, and it will be far less intimidating. I know how you feel about the gym, believe me. Been there! I've actually had some buff guys at the gym making fun of me while I did my cardio. I wouldn't have cared if I had a friend with me, but I was alone and just couldn't handle it.

Most people at the gym seem to already be thin and fit. If I were going to venture back to the gym, I would definitely find a women's gym.

I can't believe someone made fun of you! See, that's what I am scared of. I hate to seem hyper-seneitive, but it's how I feel. I'm glad you kept going!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some good music to listen to if you're doing weights or machines and jam away, and it will wipe out everyone else around you.

As far as the classes go, stand in the back at first if you feel more comfortable, but definitely go. As someone who has been going to classes regularly now for a year, I admire all the different people who come in for the first time and am always encouraging them afterwards to keep going because I remember oh so well how uncoordinated and out of shape I was when I started. It's neat to me to see my own improvement and I even notice the improvement of others. It's encouraging to see people from all walks of life getting together to do something fun.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is full of body builders. Right now there are a lot of people getting ready for competitions and looking absolutely amazing. I still have 90 + pounds to lose. I work my *kitten* off at the gym and leave each time soaking wet with sweat. There is nobody that questions why I am there. I get a "good morning" from people when I arrive and "have a great day" when I leave. I do a small amount of social chitchat but I am there to work.

If you feel intimidated by the machines, work with a trainer for a few sessions. They will show you how to use them properly and also help you get a good routine. I know that the people at my gym are aware of my body because they have commented on the weight loss. They do not judge me or bash me in any way, but I am there working as hard as they are 5 days a week, once a week with a trainer.

You sound like you have an amazing gym. I wish I had a pool at mine. I pay extra to swim in the city pool and then it is a pain fitting in their lane swimming times with my life. Don't let your gym membership go. Use the people who are fit to inspire you to work harder. You have the tools there to be able to make amazing transformations!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I read an ariticle about how to feel comfortable at a party. Some of the rules applied to this.

1. Act like you belong there.
    2. When you walk in, look towards the back and center of the gym, you will feel like you have a purpose and your eyes wont wander to ppl watching you enter.
    3. Smile as you enter
    ( I actually did all of these when I first started!)

I have friends who are/were gym rats. My male friend said a few profound things to me.
    He said when he was younger his buds would make fun of girls NOT in the gym, but in the gym they would say....Man she is hot, cant wait to see HER in 2 months. OR That is cool-do you KNOW how hard it was for her to get in here??

The ppl working out ( OH hey, I am one of them!!!) if we look at you, it is because we are bored walking/running/biking to nowhere on our machines!!:laugh:

If we look at you while using the weight machines, check our faces....likely we are seeing right past you at our focal point so we can do the last rep!!

Set up an appt (1st one is usually free) to be given a tour or actual PT with a trainer. Know ahead of time what your goals are, and advise them 1st thing. Like me-I wanted to know about the machines, weights, proper form, reps.......so when they were chatting about cardio I just told her I knew about that, wanted to spend our hour on the machines (ended up hiring her, best 700 I ever spent)

Ok so I went on and on.......because I was the fat girl in the back of the class, crying because I couldnt keep up and ready to quit. One of the girls came up to me and showed me a pic of herself at about 200 pounds and told me to keep comeing back! (she was HOT:love: ) LOL

Good luck and PM me when you get into the gym! I can share tips and we can commiserate about our heavy workouts!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I should start with the disclaimer that I don't actually go to the gym- I'm too broke for all that.

But I can sympathize with the people are watching me thing. I run in my neighborhood and I used to think that everyone was watching me struggle and jiggle and thinking about what a loser I was. I used to not do any exercise any where because I thought I would do something stupid. My cubicle mate used to ask me to do crunches and push-ups occasionally at work but I refused, because of what I would look like. Then I read an article in Runner's World that really helped. It reminded me that the people I run past who run will be proud of me, they know what it takes, and they likely jiggled at one point in their life. I am one of them now, and they are happy to see me out there getting it done. Now, as for the stick thin teens who are walking their dogs and look at the red-faced sweaty lady, well, hey I'm running and they aren't so there. :tongue: Some piece of them wishes they were out there training for a run. I just know it.

So, I know that everyone at your gym is likely there working. It's unlikely you will run into those folks like the teens in my neighborhood, but just remember, you belong there, you are working, you are one of them. And golly gee whiz I'm sure that membership isn't cheap! You pay for it, if they get a 'tude just ignore them, one day you'll be more beautiful on the outside and more importantly the inside!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, hire a trainer for a few sessions. I was leery of the weight machines forever, and after just a few sessions I knew what I was doing. Ask for a basic set of machine and free weight exercises, and ask to have them written down. If you're paying for the gym, it's a good investment to make. After several months, when you're bored of the exercises, research new ones or have another session.

Also, know two things:

some of those "fit people" in the gym were once just like you (me for example)

and most people are two busy sweating to care what you're doing.:flowerforyou:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Think of the hardest thing you've ever done.

Not something that was uncomfortable- but really really hard. Emotional things count here too.

Remember how you felt once you did it? That rush? The power you knew you now had?

Going to the gym might be even harder than that. Now just imagine how powerful you'll feel once you rise above this fear.

You walk in that gym with your head held high because You Belong There. They want to get in shape- you want to get in shape. They want to sweat- you want to sweat. The only difference is they may have a head start.

And if anyone gives you the stink eye (like an immature person), you blow a big fat raspberry at them and walk on with a smile on your face. Because That is YOUR gym!
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey, my husband canceld our family membership because he wasn't going, and I've dragged my feet to get my own membership for the past month and a half. I NEED IT! Some days I will work out at home and some days I need to be around other people who have the same interest for my own personal motivation. It's like church, I need to see others aspiring to get their lives right! I'm signing up today and I'll be in church tomorrow!
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second what many of the people here have already said. Try not to worry about what you THINK everyone else there is thinking. Chances are, you're probably wrong. They're likely focused on their own workouts and their minds are wandering to whatever their own insecurities are.

I agree with everyone that said to work out with a trainer a few times if you can afford to. Or talk to your gym administrators and see if there is a chance they can set up a small group personal training class. My gym just started something like this. They call it "Attack the Fat" and it's a 10 week program that meets twice a week for an hour with one of their personal trainers. It costs a little less than personal training because there are up to 8 people in the group. (I paid around $240 for what is essentially 20 sessions - awesome deal!) The nice thing is that it's the same group every week (unlike some of the free classes the gym offers) and you really get to know the other people. When I took it, I got to know 2 or 3 other people in the group (besides the friend I joined with) and now, even months later, I still see them around the gym and we encourage each other when we're there. It's nice to see familiar faces. Also, you get to know the trainer and they can give you helpful advice even after the class is done. You'll see results and gain confidence from knowing that you can do it, and that you know what you're doing thanks to the guidance of the trainer.

Never feel silly if you need to ask someone how to use a machine. That's what the people who work there are for! Even if you get a "tour" from someone, it's likely that you'll forget what one of them does or how to adjust it properly. The employees are used to that sort of thing.

Once in a while I still feel self conscious working out in the free-weight room. Many times when I go there, it's filled with a bunch of muscle-bound men. Some days I can overcome my intimidation, and some days I can't. On the days I can't, then I try to do more of the machines that I'm familiar with and some extra cardio or ab work in a different room or something. But the more I work out, the fewer and farther between the "intimidation" days become. I've still got a long way to go on my weight loss, but I"m feeling stronger and more confident every time I go.

Just keep making yourself do it as often as you can muster. The only person losing out is you.

Good luck and hang in there! It's SO worth it!

Vanessa
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to do it all, weights, classes, swimming... Anyone would be intimidated and end up doing nothing.

Aim for progress rather than perfection. Set the goal to go once this week and do whatever you are most comfortable with. Then go twice next week doing that same activity, then three times week three, on week four try a new activity. Well, you get it.

Also, it's fairly normal to not want to go to the gym, most people struggle with that to some degree. Concentrate on the great feeling you have after you go and remember it to get you to stop procrastinating and put on your shoes.
  • jbwegner
    Options
    Wow! You guys have all made me feel so much better. I am going to print this out and reread it when I'm feeling nervous. I especially liked the comment about the only one losing is me. Thanks and I am going to get in there TODAY!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things that keep me going back to my gym - 1) I get to watch junk TV I would never watch at home while I'm doing cardio and 2) there's this guy there who is super serious, but loves it - he literally dances between sets - and his positive energy is very inspiring.

I just go right in and get to business. Try to fit it into your routine - on Wednesday do my grocery shopping and I hit the gym. Whatever it is. Eventually it will feel weird to you when you skip it. My gym has different hours on the weekends, and it's so strange not to go at that certain time.

I get some weird looks sometimes, like "is she seriously going to do that?" But the people that work there know me, and they are very welcoming. And, to tell the truth, the only ones who have the time to look at me strange are the ones waiting to tan. A lot of them never touch a machine - they're only there to fake bake. Like I'd ever pay any attention to them anyway!

Finally - my gym has a policy against discrimination. If someone actually had the nerve to say something, or even if they made someone uncomfortable, their membership would be terminated. Check your gym's policy. If you know they've got something like that in place then no one's going to make fun of you, and that might help your confidence.
  • jbwegner
    Options
    Just wanted to update my gymaphobe status....

I've been going regularly for swimming and water aerobics! It is so much fun and I feel so good. I know it seems strange that I would choose being in a swimsuit in public when I expressed anxiety, but what can I say? The peeps in the pool are a lot more like me than those on the machines and in the other classes. I even reconnected with my 2nd grade teacher who goes there, and we've been meeting every morning for water aerobics class. There's also a lady in the class who only has one leg. I'm not sure what happened to her, but she's so inspiring. I figure if she has the courage to get out there and not care what others think, then so can I.

So thanks everyone for all of your encouraging words, advice, and support. It truly helped and I am now enjoying my gym membership! :flowerforyou:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about anyone else. I go to a gym. If there is someone looking at me with contempt or pity, that's not the kind of person I would care what they think. I bring my music and let that take me away during my workouts. I agree with everyone about getting a trainer. I don't have a lot of money. But it was worth it. I talked the trainer to do workouts with her once every three weeks. So she show me the correct posture and way to do something and I'd work on it for three weeks; then we start on new machines. I'd also make sure I worked out well the week before I saw her again.

In the gym, the only people I look at are the one's who are have beautifully sculpted their bodies: men and women. Then I think to myself, "I'm going to get there. If she can do it, so can I" and then I work harder. Usually, I'm thinking about myself, not about anyone else.

And I never think to myself: "how big is she or he?" Actually, I would pity such superficial people, if that is what is running through their minds. How shallow, how pathetic, how juvenial.

When it's really hard at the gym, then I try to put a positive goal into my mind, and meditate on it. Usually it's before I've gotten over that hump, before the zone, of running. It's important to have a positive goal you can put your mind to, in order to push yourself into working harder.

My two cents, at least. Stay positive, don't worry about what others think.
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    Comments here from a gym rat, I actually worry only about my routine in the gym. When someone does catch my eye, I smile and I truly admire their determination and will. You can't ever know what people are thinking, why give any power to it? Be proud...
    and keep moving!!