Binge Eating At Night.

Options
How do I stop bindge eating at night/middle??

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    drink water instead or just snack on fruit or veggies :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    eat liquorice (100% if you can stomach it, but higher liquor ice extract that in most sweets) theb taste makes you not want anything else and it helps manage blood sugar but you do need higher % (or i do if it is going to stop me wanting to stuff my face!
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with cravings at night which usually turn into a binge..what i found that works best for me is to have some decaf hot tea with unsweetened almond milk and stevia. Because its hot i sip it slowly so it lasts a long time and fills up my stomach..i try and stop eating at 7 before the cravings kick in... once i start eating late at night it seems i cant stop and dont have control so i have found the tea works the best for me :) give it a try! there are so many different flavors! chai is one of my favorites!
  • Queenie63
    Options
    Hi, I've struggled with night time eating for years, did you know they actually consider it a syndrome? I did some research ( look online) and there were some great suggestions. I have to add that part of the reason why I do eat/binge at night is because of my meds.
    Anyway, I eat protein + Fruit. Cheese & Grapes, or apples. Yogurt w/Granola added in (costco's Ancient Grains is delish)
    If I'm having a horrible carb craving, Melba Toast, Pretzels, Flatbreads. Plain or with Hummus

Hope this helps!
  • carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of tea (because it has more taste than water) and I'm currently experimenting with low calorie snacks that fit into my caloric budget. I adjust how much I eat during the day because I know I'm going to crave an evening snack! I found that if I just plan for an evening snack, it won't break the "caloric" bank!
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When you're not hungry but you're bored or sad and want some noms on your tastebuds just chew some really flavorful gum. Keeps your face happy without (hardly) any calories. :)
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Resist!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I suggest saving a certain number of calories for a nighttime snack to help you with this. I often save my treat for the day for nighttime since that is the hardest time of day for me. Keeping busy at home and sipping tea and other no/low calorie drinks also help.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Have a big glass of water and go to bed or sometimes I'll get on the scale to remind myself that the number tonight better be less in the morning, have a glass of water and go to bed. :-D
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Eat a bigger, balanced dinner.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Hi, I've struggled with night time eating for years, did you know they actually consider it a syndrome? I did some research ( look online) and there were some great suggestions. I have to add that part of the reason why I do eat/binge at night is because of my meds.
    Anyway, I eat protein + Fruit. Cheese & Grapes, or apples. Yogurt w/Granola added in (costco's Ancient Grains is delish)
    If I'm having a horrible carb craving, Melba Toast, Pretzels, Flatbreads. Plain or with Hummus

Hope this helps!

^^^This^^^
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It is a constant battle. Keeping busy helps. Watching TV is the worst activity for late night binging. Last night I managed to curb it by having a big glass of water and snacking on radishes. They have a spicy kick to them that I like and they are low in calories, so I was able to eat rather a lot of them without too much damage.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options

Hope this helps!

Great suggestions Queenie63. I'm also a night-time binger. Other things that work for me are a small handful of walnuts or almonds or a cup of soup (again - the hotness makes you drink slower & fills you up).

Also, I find having porridge (or is it 'oatmeal' in the US?) in the afternoon keeps me fuller for the evening.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with cravings at night which usually turn into a binge..what i found that works best for me is to have some decaf hot tea with unsweetened almond milk and stevia. Because its hot i sip it slowly so it lasts a long time and fills up my stomach..i try and stop eating at 7 before the cravings kick in... once i start eating late at night it seems i cant stop and dont have control so i have found the tea works the best for me :) give it a try! there are so many different flavors! chai is one of my favorites!

I am like that... once I start at night it seems I can't stop. I will definitely try the tea/almond milk. I sometimes sip on sugar free hot cocoa. Sometimes that helps. :wink:
  • luvslibby
    luvslibby Posts: 24
    Options
    I've strugged with this a long time. Part of my problem was I was staying up too late, and feeling snacky. I now make myself go to bed earlier. I saw someone mentioned gum and that is great. I have one of those Keurig machines and so I'll save enough calories for one of the dark or milk chocolate cocoa K-cups. My food issues with late night bingeing seemed to be something I couldn't get a handle on until I read Made to Crave by Lisa Terkeurst. It's an awesome book, full of things I had never thought of before. Not a big book, a how to book or diet book, but it's changing me.....
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

1. Go to bed earlier. can't eat when you're sleeping.
    2. Go out for a walk, can't eat when you're walking.
    3. Don't have *any* snack food in the house, can't eat what's not there (I keep all my snacks in the office).
    4. Drink warm/hot water slowly.
    5. Resist!

Any combination of the above works 6 days out of 7, but I still end up eating something 1 day of the week.
  • sg1982
    sg1982 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    drink water instead or just snack on fruit or veggies :)

I agree
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth...
    Drink water or tea...( or Swiss miss has a diet cocoa 25 Cals/packet)..
    Eat very low cal stuff, like plain popcorn or salad of just lettuce..
    Make some broth from bullion cubes or powder (very salty but only like 5-10 Cals)

Or go on MFP and browse around to distract yourself :)
  • tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when my husband is away! I find that if I just go to bed, the problem is solved. I like to have supper done with by 7 at the latest, and i find my "boredom cravings" start to kick in around 9:30 pm. This last week i've been going to bed at 9:30 and not eating anything after supper. I never wake up hungry, and another plus is that I have been waking up about 2.5 hours earlier and getting so much more accomplished! If you need to eat after supper try a protein shake......if you get a good kind there is no fat, sugar, stuff like that, and the protein keeps you feeling full and fed until morning.
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    drink a cup of hot bed time tea and write in a journal. i attribute most insomnia and late night munchies to stress, excitement, or boredom. i write every thought that comes to mind without censorship and then crumple it up into a ball to be tossed in the recycle. brushing my teeth and saying nooo helps too.