is it okay to take a day or two off working out ? ladies onl

Options
ive only been at it two weeks now and i started dancing to zumba, dance central and just dance just doing 30-45 minutes a day but now im up to 60-90 minutes a day. ive been working at it and dancing my fanny off and yesterday i did two dances that really put my knees thru pure hell and ive been paying for it all day yesterday and now today. is it okay to take two days off and rest my knees and come back at it (staying away from the dance that hurt my knee )? how many days a week are you you other gals working out and what are you doing and for how long?

Replies

• Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    umm heck yeah! I suggest taking AT LEAST a day off... your body needs the rest, and will thank you... you'll be able to hit it twice as hard when you come back... then when you get back on your regular regimen, I'd say take at least 2 days off every week... you're body needs recovery time...

but zumba is addicting, right?! lol....
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, then take a day off and see how you feel. Or try doing a different activity, if you don't want to take a day off. I always take one rest day, but now I'm sidelined by an injury (one week until I can see the dr), so I'm trying to find activities that don't hurt as much. It's much better to take a day or two off now than to take a week or more off later. I'm so bummed :(
  • jbcharles
    jbcharles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i'm not dancing but I'm pretty sure its best just to mix it up.. don't do the same thing so much. I weight train, walk, run, play squash once in a while. just keep moving it around.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi

Definitely take a day off if you are in pain.

I usually have one day a week I don't train. This is only because I have an exhausting job physically as well.

Be careful with your knees. Make sure you have proper alignment even when you are dancing.

BC :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest your body. Hope you feel better tomorrow. I'm doing an hour on the treadmill at 3.5 mph five days a week (Monday to Friday) and three days (alternating) of strength training for 30 minutes. I'm also checking out tai chi, yoga, and pilates dvds to see which ones I like the most and that I will stick with. Then I'll add that in at least four days a week. Someday I'd like to get on the zumba train but I'm not ready for that yet.
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I rotate what I do with Supreme 90, regular work outs, dancing to stuff like you listed and walking. I for sure do my walking each day (at least 1 mile) but if you look at most workout programs they have you breaking 1 or 2 days a week from the work out. Your body does need the break some.
  • mykahlio1
    mykahlio1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i actually do more of dance central 1 and 2 and some just dance than i do of zumba. my step daughters come up every other weekend and we have those games at our house for them when they were here last weekend they were like why do all of these songs have 4 and 5 stars already i didnt think i did that good the last time i did each of them. i told them i keep at the song until i get 4 or 5 stars im determined to have 5 stars across the board . its fun to compete with them on the dances. i may be 38 and they are only 11 and 15 but i danced all thru high school and its my favorite thing so most of the moves come back to my memory fairly easily not that the dances are easy im just a bit competitive . i love kicking there butts and showing them there step mom still has all the right moves.:wink:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you are truly hurting, take time off! Try something different or just don't exercise at all until you feel a little better. It's easy to injure knees with dancing too. Make sure you're not locking your knees when dancing! It's hard to get your groove on with stiff knees! And the soft knees also help prevent hurting yourself too. Just something I've learned in years of dancing!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could go for a long walk instead just to keep moving and stay motivated?
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Last year I did an intensive training program at my gym. Part of the program was to have our body fat tested in a dunk tank. The first time I was dunked I had 17% body fat. I thought "great! It can only get better from here." But, when the program was over, after working out seven days a week for eight weeks, my body fat increased to 22%!!!! The crazy thing is that my weight stayed the same. Turns out that because I was already in good shape and because I didn't ammend my eating habits to reflect the increase in workouts I was burning my own muscle. How scary is that? Now, I limit myself to five hours a week and guess what...I'm back to 17%. If you hurt, take time off. You'll hurt less and less as time goes on but keep taking time off. EveryBODY needs a rest.