Bye bye guilt!

Options
Hello MFP friends ... I was thinking about one of the best things about losing weight today. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there that share the experience I've had.

I used to buy fast food, fatty foods, ice cream, all those junk items because I 'craved' or 'earned' them from having a bad day. I used to come up with a million reasons why it was okay to eat that junk. I was eating to make myself feel better. And then after I ate it I would be overcome with guilt. Why did I eat it? Why do I do this to myself? Why must I eat to make myself feel better? I knew the guilt was going to come but I would spend some much of my free time trying convince myself why it was okay.

Today I realized how amazing it is not to have to go through that anymore. I never realized how much energy I put into thinking about food and how emotional the guilt made me afterward. My days are so much happier and I rarely feel guilty after eating anymore. I still splurge a little here and there but I know I've been doing great and its okay to treat yourself once in awhile.

BYE BYE GUILT!!!! I feel amazing! Hello to my future!

Replies

• dlperry65
    dlperry65 Posts: 83
    Options
    Congratulations! Great post.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there that was like me?
  • jsnv
    jsnv Posts: 24
    Options
    Its energizing to take away the negative crap! Thanks for the reminder.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I was like this for years. Only in the past year or so hAve I begun to feel free from the food-obsession tyranny. Food is fuel, right? No good foods/bad foods...all is good in moderation. I agree with you...it is wonderful to be free from the guilt!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel. Guilt should be associated with actions that involve doing something bad. Like kicking a puppy. Telling small children they're fat. Giving booze to an alcoholic. Giving people the middle finger for no reason.

Guild should NOT be associated with harmless things like a pancake, a cupcake, a box of crackers or cookies. They didn't willfully hurt anyone, start a country-wide genocide or cause an economic crisis to my knowledge, so I don't think they deserve so much credit in destroying your mood :)
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel. Guilt should be associated with actions that involve doing something bad. Like kicking a puppy. Telling small children they're fat. Giving booze to an alcoholic. Giving people the middle finger for no reason.

Guild should NOT be associated with harmless things like a pancake, a cupcake, a box of crackers or cookies. They didn't willfully hurt anyone, start a country-wide genocide or cause an economic crisis to my knowledge, so I don't think they deserve so much credit in destroying your mood :)

I agree that guilt should be associated with actions that involve doing something bad, but I understand why putting bad food into your body would = guilt.. If you are doing something bad to your body, you should feel guilty..
    SO when I used to load my body with junk all day long, I felt like poop all the time. Now, if I decide to have a treat, I have a smaller version of what I would have had and congratulate myself for making a positive concious decision :)

I still have a long way to go on my weight loss, but with a mentality like that, I am confident I will make it! Thanks for all these inspiring comments!
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for all your responses! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who used to think like that and feel amazing now that we have gotten out of that mind set!