Running success stories!!!

Options
I want to hear all your running success stories. Anything you want to share, how heavy you were when you started, and now. How far or length of time you could run in the beginning and now. Anything motivating!

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2009. I could barely run a mile and initially thought I'd never run longer than 5, ever. Flash forward to now and I recently finished 2nd in my age group in a half marathon and I'm training to run my first 100km trail race in May. You never know where you'll end up when you find something you love to do.
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in April 2011, couldn't run more than the 30 second intervals to start with and even then I struggled to do all of them. Nearly a year later and I ran 5 miles on Sunday, can do 5k in under 30 minutes consistently, am registered for a 5 mile road race in May which I'm confident of finishing in under an hour and am on the verge of entering for my first half marathon in November. Running is my release and my 'me' time which I love.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I first got on a treadmill to try to run in Sept of 2010 and couldn't even make it a minute at 4mph before I gave up.

After months of elliptical, I decided I wanted to run instead. I did ever so slightly better, but it was still really crappy. I then spent months basically doing what could be considered my own version of couch to 5K (I didn't know about C25K at the time, I found about it later) and would run until I couldn't run anymore, walk to catch my breath and repeat. Increasing my running periods of time more and more over time.

Soon I was able to run 30 minutes solid, then 45, then 60 minutes without stopping. I ran a 5K in September of 2011 with a time of just over 31 minutes. Though, I'm convinced I could have done better except that it was at Disneyland and I got totally distracted by the backstage areas and definitely slowed my pace to look around. lol

I then started an actual training schedule (Hal Higdon) and ran a 7-K in October at an approximate 10 minutes per mile pace and then ran a 10-K in November at a 9:30 minutes per mile pace.

I'm now training for my first half marathon in April and just ran 10.5 miles without stopping, at a 10:18 minutes per mile pace last Sunday. (I'm still working on getting my pace back after being sick and/or had a leg infection for almost all of January and was forced sedentary)

I've truly gone from nothing to double digit steady runs. And I have four more races planned this year. The Bay to Breakers, which is a 12-K but I just have to do that race at least once in my life, the Disneyland 5-K with friends, The Disneyland Half and then I'll be coaching a coworker through Couch to 5K to get her ready to run her very first 5-K this November, at her request.

It hasn't been a success on my weight, in terms of loss, I'm pretty much the same weight as I was when I started. But when I ran the 10-K in November I was leaner and more muscular that I'd previously been. And that's what I'm currently working back towards with my training plan again.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Great thread :smile: I'm just getting started back after doing nothing for years. I want to come back and read more success stories later!
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow these are great!!! Did everyone who started run on flat or hills? I do much better if it's fairly flat. I feel like I'm whimping out though.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I used to run alot (when I got out of the US Army) but I quit for various reasons not even sure why it has been so long or so it seems. I started excersising after my dad died and some marital issues primarly elipical. After a month or two I was on it and there was this guy on the treadmill in front of me probably 300 lbs or so and he was on the treadmill when I started on the eliptical and still on it when I got off 45 minutes later. I figured if he cand do it so can I. I was probably close to 260 at the time really dont know to be honest. So I started out at maybe 12 minute mile for 2 miles then 3 miles then 10 minute miles for 2 then 3 miles got up to 10 miles at a 10 minute mile and now I am at about 7.5 minute mile on the treadmill for 8 miles. I regulary run 8 miles at between 8 and 8.5 minute mile. Whats even better when I started I did not set out to loose weight but used the running as a form of stress relief, doctors wanted to put me on medication. But along with running came eating better and I think I lost close to 50 lbs before I even really noticed others noticed first. Overall weight loss is about 80lbs or so. My primarly excersise is running I have started to do some upper body and core stuff but the weight loss is due to diet and the running. And now weather providing I take a run regulary at my lunch time at work. I enjoy running outside much better than a treadmill and again I was on my way home and saw a woman running pushing one of those three wheel baby carriages up a hill and I said If she can do that I can just get out there and run.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,011 Member
    Options
    Six months ago I could hardly walk 10 mins without stopping! I lost some weight now I can run a mile in 13 mins! I have only been running for about 3 weeks now! I LOVE IT NOW! My time will grown for sure! My first 5k is Mothers Day! You can do it!
  • Lizbu
    Lizbu Posts: 1
    Options
    I joined a Couch to 5K program in Jnauary 2009 with the goal of a 5K at the end of the course. We ran on gentle hills and flat. Wherever the 2 min run/1 min walk took us. After the 5K, several of us bumped up to the 10K course. Much harder journey since it involved training runs in the summer heat. I continued running, alone and with the group through the winter months, and ran a 5K leg in a marathon relay in spring of 2010. That's when the running really took off. I did a half marathon in the fall of 2010. Then 4 more halfs in 2011, with 4 more scheduled for 2012. Best half time in 2:23, 5K 31:14. Who knew I would like running?? I never did. I just turned 55, so I moved up an age group!! Hope there are fewer runners and more walkers in my range now!! Ha
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    You guys are so inspirational!!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow these are great!!! Did everyone who started run on flat or hills? I do much better if it's fairly flat. I feel like I'm whimping out though.

When I'm on the treadmill I usually run at a 1.5 incline. My normal trail has a handful of small hills that aren't bad. But I do specific hill training because my first half marathon is on a mildly hilly course in San Francisco. I've actually found, on my long runs, that hills are easier for me later in the run. Can't explain it, but I power up the last hills easier than first ones.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I started C2k5 in October of '09. I could barely breathe after attempting 30 seconds of running. By the end of the program, I ran my first 5K in 41 minutes. I have since completed two half marathons, run the Peachtree Road Race, participated in two Warrior Dashes and am currently trying to qualify for the Half Fanatics. I run road races every chance I get (5Ks). I love the way I feel after a run. There is nothing like it.

Additionally, I am down 33 pounds and recently had myself "dunked". The guy performing the weighing process said, You must be an athlete. You've got a lot of muscle." To which I replied, I'm a runner. :) He said, oh, yeah, that's it. So while I am still aiming to lose some more weight, I found out that I will be at my "optimal weight" after losing only about another 20 pounds, not the 40 or more that I originially thought I needed to lose!!! YAY!!!

If I can do it, anyone can!!! Believe me!!!
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been running since 2001 since I am still in the Army and have been for almost eleven years. I got out of shape in the last few years and when I started losing weight after Thanksgiving I decided after the first of the year would be a good time to start running hard again.

When I started running in Jan I had not run over 4 miles since 2004. It was pretty hard and discouraging at first when I started realy getting at it again. I have been barely passing my 2 mile run for the Army for a long time.

I could barely run 3 miles in 30 minutes but it got better then more I ran and the more weight I lost. I am now down 25 pounds to 220 and am running 5Ks under 24 min and did 4 miles this morning in just over 32 min. Tomorrow I am going to run a nice slow 6 miles for the first time since 2001 when I was 30 pounds lighter and in High School. The next step is to really start doing more distance because i plan on running the Music City Half-Marathon at the end of April.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2009 and finished my first half marathon. I have run many more and finished the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2011. I have lost some weight , but more importantly I gained a lot of self esteem and many friends along the way. I have more weight to lose, but I do not let that stop me from setting high goals. I recently starting cycling and will take on triathlons later this year.

When I first started running I was at a running expo and Bart Yasso autographed a book for me... he wrote, "never limit where running can take you." I firmly believe that. It is more than fitness.
  • anna_love
    anna_love Posts: 177
    Options
    When i first start running i was 186 pounds I couldnt even do 5 min run! Then 180 pounds i woulD do a 10 min run then 178 pounds 12min run!!! Now. Im 170pounds and i can run 30mins none stop speed 5.0 looking forword doing 1hour run when i geT to 165bls !!
    But for Now 30mins its Ok and 65mins hill walk! I Also Like to run using the hill inches 9.5 and flat (=
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2003 and 2004, and the half-marathon in 2007, a dozen or so 5k's and 10k's at that time as well. From experience, please follow training tips from people like Hal Higdon. Take it easy, do what you can. As others have said, your capacity and endurance builds slowly, but it does build. I didn't follow Higdon's advice for the marathons, and my knees have suffered for it ever since. I'd love to get back into running, but at 53, I'm switching to the bike because of the low-impact. Good luck!
  • 33Chief
    33Chief Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Like Dave said take it easyat first and don't overdo it right away. There is a difference between a nice hard run and killing your body. I am great at starting something again and starting too hard. All it does is make you hurt!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    <<
    I started running again last march and completed a 5k on May and my 1st 1/2 in September. I have lost aprox 25lbs. In 2 week I will run Arount The Bay which is a 30k and in May I will run another 1/2. I have picked up running and stopped many times over the past 5 years and this time it finally clicked. I have been running for 1 year straight now. This is the longest that I have EVER maintained any form of physical activity.

I have benefitted in so many ways. I have so much more strenght and confidance. I am finally putting my health 1st and it feels AWESOME!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in December 2010, at the age of 38, and running just one minute at a time was rough. I'd never been a runner and hadn't run at all since a required phys ed class in college almost 20 years ago. By the end of March 2011, I ran my first 5k in 29:42. Kept running, kept improving. In October 2011, I ran a 5k in 24:59! I even won a couple of medals for 1st and 2nd place in age groups in a 5k and 10k respectively.

In late December, I got a stress fracture in my ankle, and had to take about 6 weeks off from running. I eased back into it by starting C25K from scratch again in the beginning of February. I haven't run any races or really pushed myself, but my training runs are at the same pace as they were before my injury. First race of the year in about 2 weeks! :drinker:
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started running August 2011 and it took me a little over 30 minutes to finish two miles. I ran my first 10k in Feb for a time of 01:00:34. Last weekend I did a practice half marathon run in ~2.5 hours. Somewhere along the way I went from "I'll just try this running thing" to planning my running routes before I go on vacation. :wink: Plus between running and eating better, I've lost 30+ lbs.
  • 5ladybugs
    Options
    Your stories are incredible!!!