Gamer new to MFP!

Options
Hey everyone. I'm Allie and I'm new to this site. From what I've seen, it looks like a great way to help track your fitness, and I'm hoping that it'll work for me. :)

I'm a crazy video gamer (World of Warcraft owns my life O_O) and me and some of the other people who play have all joined this site in an attempt to get healthy while still being able to support our gaming habits. I'm happy that I have people that are doing this with me, but I'm scared because since most of my friends doing this don't live near me, I'm afraid that I won't have any motivation. It's easier to do this with someone and right now I just feel alone.

Plus, I live in a situation where I am surrounded by enablers, and have poor eating habits. I'm unfortunately jobless at the moment, so I rely on my family for food. They eat out probably 9-10 times a week, and they don't buy decent food at the grocery store, so if I don't eat WITH them, I don't eat at all. :( And obviously money for a gym membership (or anything for that matter) is non existent.

Not to mention, with all the diet and exercise "tips and tricks" out there, I don't know what to believe, who to listen to, or what really to do. So I'm hoping that this site will point me in the right direction, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to meet some great people that I can relate to along the way. :D

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that game owned me for about 5 years - I recently found a way to quit when my computer couldn't handle Cat. (of course, since then I'm playing DC Online on ps3 - just trading one drug for another) I think it's amazing that you got your guildmates and friends to join up here - logging your food and being super conscious of what fuel you're putting in is the best way to get started.

Friend me and check out BodyRock.tv for some really great tips and workouts that you can do with basically no gear and your bodyweight.

Best of luck!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    Hang in there, Allie! I'm new to this site (and weight management in general), but am finding it great!

I'm a gamer, too, btw--both as a hobby and by profession (I work in the industry. :-) )
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The only principle I follow is make sure that you eat enough, and to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. After that, I think it's whatever you find works best for you and your tastes and habits.

I was a gamer for a long time growing up, and then I kind of fell out of it for a while. I'm now relatively new to being a gamer again. What's funny is I got unhealthy when I wasn't gaming, and now that I'm gaming, I've gotten healthier.
  • Yoleegarnet
    Options
    I'm one of her guildies! GOOOOO ZOREIA! YOU CAN DO IT!!! <3<3<3
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had to check out your post due to your S/N. I was a gamer for many years. Don't really have much time nowadays. Anyhow, I LOVED the Lunar series. Don't know if that's the source of your handle, but that's the correlation I drew. :-)

Good for you, grabbing the orc by the horns! I'm sometimes surprised I'm still alive, after allowing my body to get really heavy and all but useless in my youth. It's a shame I didn't get off my *kitten* sooner than I did, but that's all in the past.

I went from looking like a tomato to doing much better, including training (fairly well) in MMA for years. It astounds me what we can accomplish, and how adaptable the body is.

As I'm rambling, I'll leave you with a GOOD LUCK, YOU CAN DO EET!
  • Sparklie23
    Options
    Zoreiaa!!! Guess who :D!
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    that game has consumed many hours of my life LOL....kind of went on the back burner when SWTOR came out. I wasn't a fan but some of the guys at work were really into it so I jumped aboard......but I've limited myself to only playing AFTER I've had my workout for the day.....

feel free to add me :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hi all. MFP Gamer group. feel free to join!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers
  • alliekat893
    Options
    Hi Allie.... I'm Allie and I'm a gamer too! Currently with SWTOR.

Feel free to add me as well, if you like. :-)