40 pound weight loss with pcos!

Options
2»

Replies

• creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It's very motivating to hear your story - Thank you!

Did you cut carbs?
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    The thing I love about MFP is that it calculates perfect carbs for your body. I think I have about 220 of daily carbs but sometimes I'm under my carbs. One important thing is to drink your 8 glasses of water and fit in a lot of walking. Cut a lot of unnatural sugars and stray away from the white breads :) I probably never started seeing results until I did this :)
  • creative1981
    Options
    The thing I love about MFP is that it calculates perfect carbs for your body. I think I have about 220 of daily carbs but sometimes I'm under my carbs. One important thing is to drink your 8 glasses of water and fit in a lot of walking. Cut a lot of unnatural sugars and stray away from the white breads :) I probably never started seeing results until I did this :)

Thanks :) The thing about MFP is I've read so many competing arguments regarding pcos and insulin resistance that I'm so confused! I don't know whether to cut carbs low (e.g.100) or leave them as they are. Now I've just read fruit is also bad for insulin resistance Argh!
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and it can be such a hinderance to weight loss so HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you on your weight loss! There is also proof out there that the more weight we lose (pcos sufferers) the less symptoms appear so that is also great news! WELL DONE TO YOU : ))) Thank you for posting it's a real inspiration and great to know that there are other ladies out there with a similar issue. You are a real inspiration : )

ps I've lost 34lb (6 on mfp and the rest on my own before I joined) going from 250lb to 216lb. The best way I found was to reduce simple carbohydrates eg white bread and pasta etc and stick with the complex ones like fruits (not bananas though for me) and green veg. I have found that I lose weight more easily this way and it is quite a good thing to check out if there is anyone confused about the whole carb thing. MFP can't differentiate between complex and simple carbs so it is important to keep this in mind when looking at the diary.
  • audreyscat
    audreyscat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! a really good book is PCOS for dummies which recommends a low GI diet - it has some great low GI recipes in there.

Re bread ...according to this book the following are low GI bread

mixed grain
    fruit loaf
    rye
    sourdough
    stoneground wholemeal

I am sure there are others as well so we have plenty of choice!

I love bread so much I cannot give it up so I have switched to the above, eaten in moderation, and stopped eating white bread and bagels (although I love bagels so much I am not never going to eat them again)
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fantastic weightloss, i was goign to search today to see some PCOS success stories and here you are. I also have PCOS so it is really great seeing that it can be done. Great to hear your symptoms are gettting less as well.
  • ExxEgueritaExxE
    Options
    So relieved to come across this post! I have PCOS as well !:ohwell: I also was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Despite these annoyances , I am on the road to good health! Glad to see I am not alone :bigsmile:
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wow 40lbs in 6 months is awesome and with you having PCOS, its amazing! Great job!
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, and it's been a long struggle but I am also there!
    You can do it :D ♥ ☺
  • sghcab051411
    sghcab051411 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I have finally found someone on here with pcos!! I am new to this site but am looking to connect with Women who have PCOS and have had success losing weight..
  • creative1981
    Options

255lbs?!! Wow that is amazing! Soooo motivating!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thanks dear and you're doing phenominal as well! Keep up the amazing work! You're right with the carbs, you need to eat the right ones and stray away from the bad :)
    I have PCOS too and it can be such a hinderance to weight loss so HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you on your weight loss! There is also proof out there that the more weight we lose (pcos sufferers) the less symptoms appear so that is also great news! WELL DONE TO YOU : ))) Thank you for posting it's a real inspiration and great to know that there are other ladies out there with a similar issue. You are a real inspiration : )

ps I've lost 34lb (6 on mfp and the rest on my own before I joined) going from 250lb to 216lb. The best way I found was to reduce simple carbohydrates eg white bread and pasta etc and stick with the complex ones like fruits (not bananas though for me) and green veg. I have found that I lose weight more easily this way and it is quite a good thing to check out if there is anyone confused about the whole carb thing. MFP can't differentiate between complex and simple carbs so it is important to keep this in mind when looking at the diary.
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Ohh thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check that out! :)
    I have PCOS too! a really good book is PCOS for dummies which recommends a low GI diet - it has some great low GI recipes in there.

Re bread ...according to this book the following are low GI bread

mixed grain
    fruit loaf
    rye
    sourdough
    stoneground wholemeal

I am sure there are others as well so we have plenty of choice!

I love bread so much I cannot give it up so I have switched to the above, eaten in moderation, and stopped eating white bread and bagels (although I love bagels so much I am not never going to eat them again)
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thank you! You're doing fantastic yourself and your drive motivates me as well!
    Congratulations on your fantastic weightloss, i was goign to search today to see some PCOS success stories and here you are. I also have PCOS so it is really great seeing that it can be done. Great to hear your symptoms are gettting less as well.
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    You're doing very well so far! Keep up the amazing work and keep in touch! :)
    So relieved to come across this post! I have PCOS as well !:ohwell: I also was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Despite these annoyances , I am on the road to good health! Glad to see I am not alone :bigsmile:
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thank you so much!
    Wow 40lbs in 6 months is awesome and with you having PCOS, its amazing! Great job!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration! Thank you for the great encouragement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!