Egg Substitute

Options
I'm suffering from kidney stones and it says to stay away from dairy, I eat the egg substitute for breakfast, this may sound like a stupid question but is that considered a dairy product.

Replies

• liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about egg beaters, isn't that just egg whites? If milk or casein or dairy is in the ingredients then it is a diary product.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's a more complicated issue than just staying away from dairy. The different types of kidney stones and the suspected causes (purines, oxalates etc.) all have slightly different dietary restrictions. I'm surprised your doc gave you such generalized advice as they did. If you're not seeing a nephrologist you might want to consider it. It may be much more important for you to avoid meat protein than eggs for example, but only someone who really knows their stuff will be able to advise you on this properly.

For your own research, you could do a lot worse than starting here: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/

I'm really not sure how egg subs stack up to real eggs in terms of kidney stone formation, but I do know that real eggs are probably vastly better for you in most other health respects. Any food that comes out of nature beats any food that is made in a lab.
  • CtineMc
    CtineMc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the egg substitute to stay away from dairy? If so, no need my friend. Eggs are not a dairy product. Most egg substitutes are dairy free as well but I'd double check the ingredients to make sure...