Elliptical Questions

Options
Just wondering if you can give me some feedback about using an elliptical. Love it? Hate it? What kind of results did you see or feel, and in what time frame?

My husband and I bought one this week, and although I have absolutely no stamina yet, I'm optimistic that it will help to add another dimension to my workouts and really help me. Any feedback is appreciated :smile:

Daisy

Replies

• cdwinters
    cdwinters Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. Haven't been doing it for very long but what I do on it to build up my stamina is I listen to an interval running podcast and instead of running when it says to run I just go faster on the elliptical. I stated only being able to do it for 2 mins...I am up to 20 mins now:)
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It's my fave. I've had to adjust by going to interval workouts with it over time, whbich increases the challenge, but when I started it was just like you described - no stamina. I find it the best cardio workout of them all - for me at least.
  • nateh1311
    nateh1311 Posts: 1
    Options
    The eliptical is a great training tool. The only thing that you have to watch out for is if that is the only cardio machine you use. If you stick with the same machines, your body gets into a "rhythm" where your body no longer looses weight or gains muscle. So be sure to change it up with other machines, and even change what type of workout you do on it.
  • proctor0828
    proctor0828 Posts: 179
    Options
    I LOVE MY elliptical!!!! I use it everyday. I've worked myself up to an hour. I definitly see result. With-in the first 2 weeks my legs were so much nicer!!! My celulite is near gone... Plus every week when I take measurements I'm alway down from the week before!!! I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!
  • jennipuresierra
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I have to do low-impact becasue of my joints, and the elliptica is the best! Not to mention, I have yet to find anything that burns calories as fast! (Other that olympic swimming) I burn about 450 calories in 30 mins! You will get used to it, and have endurance later, but like "nateh1311" said, make sure you change it up, and do different traing on the machine or change the cardio program once in awhile so your body doesnt get into a rythm. Also, when you get some endurance for it, dont just rock your body wieght from side to side, forcing the levers, but extend and activate your butt muscles too.
    Good luck and stay motivated!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must be one of few that HATES it. I can run on a treadmill very decently (well run/walk intervals), I can bike, I can play tennis, I can walk miles and miles, but 1 minute on the elliptical and I feel like I am going to die.

Even a couple of years ago when I was going to the gym pretty consistently, my stamina never increased to an amount that made me not hate it. I'd do 20 minutes on it, but I hated every second of it.

I hope you enjoy yours though.
  • MrsMoore143
    Options
    I have been doing it off and on for a couple of weeks but when I started to use MFP again I began doing it regularly. Its been 5 days straight at 20 min a day for me now and so far I like it.
    I have a knee problem so it hurts to run traditional style for more than a few minutes even on a tredmill but on the elliptical i dont feel any pain in my knee but a feel the burn in my calves :tongue: .
    My only problem is its getting hot and I dont have air conditioning but even that wouldnt help considering my elliptical is outside due to the fact that there is no room for it in my house:wink: .

Well anyways I hope you like yours and Good Luck on your weight loss goals!!:drinker:

:flowerforyou: Ashley:flowerforyou:
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah, i noticed thinner legs within a month or two and i have barely any cellulite. i don't get bored on it like a stationary bike. but i had to change up my routine use of it to start losing again
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is AMAZING! I do it everyday! I can only stay on it for about 30 minutes though. Its better than a treadmill because it tones your legs and butt as well! Just make sure when you use it that you start low then add more and more intensity.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    the elliptical is great for your butt and things! I use it about once a week. I normally jog. but the elliptical is great because its low impact. just make sure you keep challenging yourself on it, its easy to master a level after a week or two, make sure to bum it up!
  • vdaisyh
    vdaisyh Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas and feedback!
    Daisy
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a love/Hate relationship with the eliptical, lol.
    But heres a tip that my physical therapist gave me. Switch it up and go forwards and backwards. That way you work additional muscles and your body doesn't get "bored" as quickly. I like going backwards better that forward, but I still do both. It has worked wonders for my sciatic injury.
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE the elliptical; it is boring and doesn't give accurate heart rate/speed/calories burned. I got "stiff hips" syndrome after using it. A big NO-NO in my eyes...but that's just my opinion on it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical at the gym sometimes it used to be my favorite- but now I loathe any type of cardio- But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I like the stair climber now that bad boy burns some calories- I also get on the treadmill and kick up the speed

The elliptical doesn't burn as many calories for me as it used to so I usually just use as a warm up before I hit the weights then I do my cardio on treadmill and stair climber.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I must admit I was looking at using the stair climber the other day. I'm worried only that I'll strain a dodgy ankle right now, but may start mixing the elliptical with that in order to achieve more of a burn in the short time I have for cardio.