Is weekly or daily more important?

Options
Because some days I am under, and some days I am over by a little. My weekly balance more important or daily?

Replies

• SummerFun2011
    Options
    bump
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i do weekly more, simply because i eat more on weekends. . . .not sure if its best though
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have a setting to more easily see your weekly calorie intake?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Because some days I am under, and some days I am over by a little. My weekly balance more important or daily?

Either one is perfectly fine. Your body doesn't run on a set schedule, you're just looking to eat "approximately the right amount over the course of time". If you balance that out weekly you should be just fine.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have heard it is good to jump around a little, iv heard people call it spike days, say they eat 1200 all week except 2 days they will do maybe 1500 (I just made those numbers up but its something similar Iv seen) I sometime skip recording my calories at least once a week, I looked at my weekly totals and they are all kinds of different numbers.
    Like in weight watchers I was able to have 30 points daily but also had 49 points weekly to use in that one week only, each week the 49 points would start again. So maybe you could do something like that w/calories instead?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say daily and I do this for only one reason.

People like to think they can add up all the calories they saved during the week and add all of those to the end of the week to have a binge day. TOTALLY not how this works. Even if it all evens out, that kind of thinking will not get you anywhere.

I personally take it day by day. If I mess up one day and eat too much/too little, I just let it go. I don't try to gorge myself late at night to hit my goal, or starve the next day to make up for the previous day. You're just logging and checking the numbers to know how you're doing, it's a guide. I also typically plan my meals for the following day and log them to check all the numbers, Mostly have to do this because I work 10 hour shifts with class beforehand, so after breakfast I'm not home again until I'm crawling into bed.

But like today for example, busy day off for me, I didn't come close to my calorie goal, and arguably didn't eat healthy either, but I let it go and onto tomorrow. Already have all my meals cooked and ready to go. :D
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    That makes sense then! I just have some very busy days on campus such as today. Ate about 2,200 calories and didn't get to work out. But monday I ate pretty low since I forgot my lunch I packed at home. Day to day is so different that makes sense!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

People like to think they can add up all the calories they saved during the week and add all of those to the end of the week to have a binge day. TOTALLY not how this works. Even if it all evens out, that kind of thinking will not get you anywhere.

I personally take it day by day. If I mess up one day and eat too much/too little, I just let it go. I don't try to gorge myself late at night to hit my goal, or starve the next day to make up for the previous day. You're just logging and checking the numbers to know how you're doing, it's a guide. I also typically plan my meals for the following day and log them to check all the numbers, Mostly have to do this because I work 10 hour shifts with class beforehand, so after breakfast I'm not home again until I'm crawling into bed.

But like today for example, busy day off for me, I didn't come close to my calorie goal, and arguably didn't eat healthy either, but I let it go and onto tomorrow. Already have all my meals cooked and ready to go. :D

I figure weekly, why will it get me nowhere?
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I have found that in most areas of life, the big picture is the one to keep an eye on. ;)
    So I pay more attention to my weekly deficit.
    However, I do monitor my protein every day very carefully because I'm training hard.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

I would personally use a weekly approach. IMO the human body weight is always changing daily...hell hourly really. Weekly IMO is a better gauge.
  • 2012party
    Options

Very well put!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weekly argument, but that relies on you not having a total binge day. The body is amazingly adaptive and reactive, but it's constantly in flux. If you're at or under your calories for 5 days out of 7 but over by 50 or 100 calories those other 2 days, most people's body won't even notice. If you totally binge and are over by 2000 calories? Yeah, you blew it.