One Cheat Day

Options
How do you feel about having one cheat day? Once a week? Once every two weeks? When you can eat what you are craving and go over your calorie limit. Any thoughts?

Replies

• myroadto130
    Options
    I think once every 2 weeks is fine, you don't want to go overboard though. I personally feel guilty eating everything I crave even if I'm on my cheat day lol.
  • Brightstar4031
    Brightstar4031 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this but I sure do want a cheat day! I'm waiting though, until I've made more progress
  • impresidio
    Options
    I like it! Just for a day or a meal. It teaches self control, too, to go right back on track. And it gives you something to look forward to!
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was doing some reading online that says if you could actually keep your metabolism guessing by encorporating a cheat day or meal into your diet. It tells your body to keep guessing.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Since I am in a competition, I do not have cheat days but have had a cheat meal. I have had 2 higher calorie meals in one week before and been ok at weigh in day. I have done weight watchers too and before they started the newer programs, I had figured out if I had ONE meal I did not account for I would still do good. Everyone may not be the same too though. This is what has worked for me in the past anyway. It's kinda like what people call spike days (where you eat more calories a few times a week) I really think and have had others say the same, that it just kicks in your metabolism to get it going faster again.
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    every sunday is a cheat day for me! i dont go crazy with it but love it <3
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have a cheat meal or day....do you record your food?
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    for the most part, yes I do record my food, I just noticed though last tuesday was the first week I recorded a tuesday, I think it is because I have my cheat meal that night, but I eat good throughout the day. But I do have other days Iv kinda cheated went over that I have recorded
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options

yes, i always write them down, just so i know.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Cheat days rock. No recording on cheat day.
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I decided to start having a cheat day, once a week. I am only 5 lbs away from my original goal (think I'll go for 10 more though) and decided to switch it up a bit. I started last Saturday. I was able to go back to eating fine the next day. I recorded everything still and it helped bc it was a big eye opener to how much calories I would be consuming if I wasn't dieting. It motivated me to do great the next days following. I am going to try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes and decide whether I will continue doing cheat days. I didn't/won't stuff my face with every bad thing I see but I will allow myself to order that dessert I have been drooling over or eat a couple rolls before dinner :)
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    for me personally, i feel like one a week is too much. one every two weeks is fine. those days are usually when i go out with friends and want to drink. im currently preparing for my st pattys day cheat day lol! gotta be extra good until then:laugh:
  • Andresbohorquez
    Options
    My advice is if u knw u really did good the whole week y not if u knw u didn't do not do it I do it because I follow a low carb diet and once a week I carb up causing an insulin spike which tricks my body into thinking something is wrong and sends out certain hormones which aid in weight loss for example today I'm at applebees drinking and eating my *kitten* off and tomorrow I won't weigh myself but I'm back in track the next day and wen I do weigh myself again I'm always under feel free to look at my food diary low carb high protein moderet fat diet also work. Out every other day ......... if u deserve it do it if u don't ul know don't
  • veto1024
    veto1024 Posts: 20
    Options

I cheat almost weekly. However, I do record all the food because 1) it's a reminder of how over-eating every so often can stop you from reaching your goal and 2) it's a reminder that over-eating every so often doesn't stop you from reaching your goal :D No, seriously! By seeing it in my diary and seeing how it forces me to work harder to continue losing weight, it reminds me of how that kind of eating (except doing it constantly) put me in this situation over the years. On the other hand, when I eat 1000 calories more than I should have and still come in under my weekly limit and still lose weight, it makes me realize that food isn't a horrible enemy and a single indulgence will end me :)
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think i can have anything =- as long as I log it and it's in my calories - if i know Im going to go over one day i'll exercise more.

Im making a lifestyle change - changing everything about eating and exercising - and if I say no to something.. i want it more and then go crazy..so, if i can add the item to my day I never feel deprived - meaning less "cheating" -

log everything to keep myself accountable. i have a lot to lose and a few people have said this to me - !!

good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Up to you, sometimes you go to a function where it is so hard to log... nibblies at a wedding or birthday...

I try to line my free days up with social events or if I feel liek I need one!
  • bjreeg
    bjreeg Posts: 1
    Options
    Depends on what you call cheating......Indulging every now and then on a meal or a dessert, doesn't seem to affect me. However, if you are just letting go one day and eating all in sight, you might just ruin your whole weeks progress.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat meal a week. I log everything.