Changing From Weight Watchers to MFP

Options
Hi I am changing from Weight watchers to MFP so I can get inspired again and also get healthier and fitter. I need all the support I can get:smile:

Replies

• blinkfast18
    blinkfast18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I changed from WW to this program. I'm hoping it works for me. Where I live, WW isn't as strong a program and I'm hoping this app will be helpful for me. Good luck with everything!!
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As am I. I tried WW for 5 weeks and it's just not working so great for me. I still have a little over a month on my online but I'm doing MFP and I love it!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i did ww a couple times before when they had the core program and you didnt have to track. it worked for me but the points plus system seems too complicated. this is working and i dont have to pay plus my support system is huge on here now in just a little over four months! i have lost quicker than i ever did with ww because its not all about the number on the scale. one thing i would encourage you to do is measure yourself when you start and find a pair of jeans, dress or whateve rthat you want to fit back into. try it on every week so that when the scale doesnt move, like mine didnt for ove r amont, but you fit back into the jeans, you will realize that pounds dont always matter. muscle does!
  • Patch62383
    Options
    Hello I was on weight watchers and lost 30 lbs it was great for me, so far this site is decent my issues are everything is a calorie and I dont believe all foods are going to make you fat and not all calories are equal. I think weight watchers is better on the point system over just counting calories because honestly if you just count everything you eat you will be hungry all day. I love the fact on weight watchers almost all fruits and veggies are a 0 point value so you can really use those foods to get you through the day. This site does have a great Data base a heck of a lot better then weight watchers, but all in all weight watchers is a better program but for free this site is great and wonder so welcome I am new myself hope you have a lot of success
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Add friends and hit the forums up for motivation, I haven't tried weight watchers but I imagine that's the point of difference :-)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i did ww a couple times before when they had the core program and you didnt have to track. it worked for me but the points plus system seems too complicated. this is working and i dont have to pay plus my support system is huge on here now in just a little over four months! i have lost quicker than i ever did with ww because its not all about the number on the scale. one thing i would encourage you to do is measure yourself when you start and find a pair of jeans, dress or whateve rthat you want to fit back into. try it on every week so that when the scale doesnt move, like mine didnt for ove r amont, but you fit back into the jeans, you will realize that pounds dont always matter. muscle does!
    btw, i weight the same now that i did at my ww goal weight, but i fit into a smaller size now because of weight lifting! so happy to see abs!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    all fruits and veggies are zero-point value?

all fruits and veggies are not equal...

I love them all and could really puttem away myself..I'm glad I'm on MFP for lots of reasons.

Mainly though...It teaches me to investigate every food and consider it and see how it acts with me.

It has really been a learning experience. I was so ignorant of food, the science of it, everything.

Also MFP encourages me to exercise..I am not sure how they do that..it's just evolved since I've been on here...lol
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    TO ALL WEIGHT WATCHERS, INC. DROP-OUTS:
    I am a lifetime Weight Watcher member who continued to do the yo-yo syndrome, i.e. putting weight back on, added even more, take it off again. Went from the original WW program from 1969 to the new one, another new one, ya-ta-ta, yah-ta-ta, etc. All they want is your hard-earned $$$.

This program WORKS but you have to work with it. It's FREE and you can get all the support you would like if you make that first step to connect with other MFP members.

I have copied and pasted here, for your convenience, what I always send to new MFP "friends"; these tips might help you understand your personal responsibility to your health and help you develop ways that you might choose to find out what works best for YOU! We cannot do it for you ~~~ Good luck!

Welcome to my Heart Healthy World
    The Making of the New You

Welcome to the beginning of your new, healthier lifestyle. You have embarked on a great program where you are the only one “in charge” of your own personally developed nutrition and exercise program on My Fitness Pal (MFP).

From my age of 18 until the present, more than a 55 year adult life span, I have lost and re-gained from between 30 to 75 pounds in my life so many times (the yo-yo dieting syndrome), if I had not done that I would weigh over 800 pounds (IF I was still alive).

On 15 November 2010, a good friend and I were visiting ladies in our church and I was telling her how depressed I was over my frustration in trying to stop being overweight. She told me how one of her adult sons (she & her husband raised 10 children) had lost a whole lot of weight using this free online food and exercise diary program. I went home that afternoon and checked the web site carefully and said, “YES”! I started the program the next morning.

From that first day, 16 November 2010, I started accurately weighing or measuring (depending upon the food/fluid item), leveling off all excess quantities & recording it all on MFP. You may look at my photos and statistics and scoff while thinking that I didn’t have very much weight to lose. Please consider this, 35 extra pounds on my short, very small body frame is not much different than 75 or even 100 extra pounds on a taller person with a larger body frame. It has taken me more than nine very long, very slow months to shed all but the last 1.1 pounds.

To begin, you should have the proper tools for accuracy and ease of staying with your program. Those are:

A digital food scale
    An individual set of 4 measuring cups: ¼ c, 1/3 c, ½ c, 1 c
    An individual set of measuring spoons: ¼ tsp., ½ tsp., 1 tsp., 1 tblsp.
    A small, straight blade spatula or knife for leveling off all excess quantities

START THINKING DIFFERENTLY but do NOT think “diet”. Use the lighter, lower calorie mayonnaise (that has olive oil). Look at the various brands of lower calorie margarine spreads that also have olive oil. SHOP DIFFERENTLY in the SUPERMARKET. Allow a lot more time when you shop. Do NOT pick up items and put them in the shopping cart until you have carefully READ every single label. REMEMBER THIS: All ingredients are listed in order of highest quantity to lowest. If the first 4 items on the ingredients say: salt, sodium, corn syrup or any form of sugar, dextrose, maltose, or other sugar forms, buy something else. High sodium contents will prevent you from losing weight well & can cause water retention as well as cardiac overload. When we’re packing around all those extra pounds, our hearts are already over-worked. All our body systems work as a team so when one organ system is out of whack, so is everything else. Prepared or frozen foods are nearly always overloaded with sodium and fats. Low calorie is not always low sugar nor low fat. “Healthy” is not always labeled correctly. Once you become an avid “label reading shopper”, you will learn which items work best for you and which ones to avoid.

Beware of well-meaning family members, friends or even co-workers who think they know what is best for you. You are the only person who knows how you feel and what will help you become successful in achieving your personal healthy goal. I believe in your unique ability to be successful. You can and will succeed if you keep following your program faithfully by taking things one meal at a time/one day at a time on a continuous basis. I have had some former MFP users complain about “too much counting”. It does not take me any more extra time to take the proper measuring spoon to level off my single PORTION of mayonnaise or mustard that it used to by just dipping the spoon in the jar and dumping a lump of stuff on the plate, the food or the bread. Then we have, what I call, the “enablers”. Those are the people who consciously or even sub-consciously, are out to keep you from being successful. They’re the “Oh, just one little piece of this dessert I made just for you won’t hurt you”. Or, I made all your favorite recipes for your birthday, Christmas dinner, etc. Just tell them that you’ve developed some difficult ALLERGIES and are under medical supervision (do not tell them anything more than that). You don’t have to tell them that the “allergies” make you “break out in FAT”. Then we have the proverbial, “You’re getting so thin, you’re going to get sick and end up in the hospital” types. They may even try to carry on by telling medical horror stories how someone they knew who ended up dying because of blah, blah, etc. Change the subject quickly and keep the conversation light and comfortable.

MFP tells us how much of each items chosen is ONE PORTION. It is up to us to tell the computer how much of the portion we plan to have or did have. I call this program a “no brainer” because the computer does all the work for me. All I have to do is look up the item in the database and select the correct product. Watch out for all the idiots who’ve monkeyed around with the database by putting in their own screwball versions of many items. As you first begin, keep that product label handy as you do your food diary recording so you can check before you add that item to your diary. As time goes on, you’ll understand how this works better.

You will soon get into the mode of thinking of “eat this…not that” of the items that you enjoy having that are working to help you reach your successful heart healthy ultimate goal.

GOAL SETTING: Please be extra kind to yourself and not set impossible goals. Think in terms of short-term, reachable goals for now. I started by using Dr. Mehmet Oz’s “Just 10” program, i.e. thinking in terms of just reaching the next set of 10 pounds off short-term goal.

I’m personally in this for the “long haul”. That means, I will be doing this for the rest of my life as long as the program is available and I have the capability of using it. If I stop keeping a daily food diary or stop weighing, measuring, etc., I know that I’ll end up piling the fat pounds right back on and never get them off again. Last November, I was in a full-blown DIABETES state and was sick all the time. I refuse to put my body through that ever again.

You WILL be successful because you’re a WINNER. I strongly believe that and believe in your ability to keep on winning.

Remember, you are in charge~~~no one else can ever take your place!

Fitzie63 :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm also a WW dropout - MFP newbie. I was working full time and going to school at night and homework on the weekends so I couldn't go to meetings anymore and started WW online only. Then I was too busy to even do that! So I was just throwing away money. Now I'm done with school and have some time again and like that MFP is free! And so easy!! I've been here a week and am not finding a reason to go back to paying for WW!
  • Barbwhitmore
    Options
    I have never used anything before MFP so I don't know the comparison, but It's working pretty good for me.
    I don't know much about good/bad calories but I don't worry going over my calories if its with fruits or vegetables that's for sure.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options

bump:bigsmile:
  • Patch62383
    Options
    I agree hope I didnt sound like a jerk I only did WW Online but all I do is count all my foods outside of my veggies and fruits but I eat 2 apples a day and maybe a banana every other day. If you eat good and work out you will succeed in your weight loss goals, but I do think this site has a great community. I just dont think apples and brocolli are going to make anyone fat all they do is make you really really regular is you eat a lot of them. Just remember its not rocket science and your body will lose weight if you treat it right but be patient and just enjoy trying to reach your goals.
  • NZsleever
    NZsleever Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow I can't believe the response from you all:happy: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have struggled with the propoints for some reason unknown and not had the results I would have liked. (age might have something to do with it, should have listened to all the people that said it gets harder as you get older LOL) One of the big things is that ww is so much about the numbers on the scales and that is doing my head in as over the last 3 months I have stayed the same yet my measurements have decreased due to the amount of exercise I have taken up and I am loving the exercise so time for something new for me. Feeling the love peoples:heart:
  • NZsleever
    NZsleever Posts: 20
    Options
    WW used to work fantastic for me and i never had any real issues losing the weight at all but keeping it off was the harder part! I fully support WW still and feel a wee dug on the heart strings leaving as its all I have known for so long now but change and saving money has got to be a good thing.
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did WW online beginning of last year it was a great place for me to start. Then after about 6 months I mentally needed a change. Went to a couple different sites before finding myself here and I love it. Best of luck with your transition, just remember nothing is in stone, try it and if it doesn't work you can always go back.
  • missmelissav
    Options
    I just switched on monday and have gone done 6 lbs so far. I lost 122 lbs on weight watchers and hit a plateau. It discouraged me and I started to gain weight. Weight watchers is great but I am a different person now with different habits and I feel like I need something new. I have a new found motivation with mfp. I hope you do too :)
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I did WW online from April to October of last year and it was awesome for getting me into good habits. MFP is perfect for the next phase of my weight loss.

Feel free to add me!
  • superlefty
    Options
    I am a WW dropout too. WW didn't work for me, mostly because there were so few foods I ate in the database and I found I was having to add things almost every time I ate. It seemed like WW only listed produce, processed food and restaurant food. So far I haven't lost a significant amount of weight since I've been on MFP but I have lost a total of four inches off my waist!
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am still with WW and a life time member but I struggled with the monthly weigh in and was slowly losing motivation, and some weight was slowly creeping back on. I needed new inspiration and found it here, a lady at the gym I go to mentioned it and so here I am and a couple of kilos lighter.
    I am made more accountable for myself here.
    The one thing I still do is not eat too much fruit, it is a natural sugar and if you don't burn it off it turns to fat. So I still only eat 3 portions a day. My biggest problem is carbs, I love bread. I can only get better at the ratios they has set up for me with my calories, keeps me on track.
    I love the support here, people just like me.
    Hi my name is Alison and I have a weight issue.........
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    I love reading all the post. Thank you for sharing with all of us. I do eat a lot of fruit for the day in my smoothie with my protein powder. I started eating well two months ago and I have lost 23 lbs total. I have started MFP just recently. I love it!
    Thanks