Breast feeding and working out

I currently have a three month old baby and am breast feeding. I want to lose weight and get toned and in shape, but i am concerned that if i cut my calories to what my phone app says, i could risk drying up? Please help!

Replies

• hselby87
    hselby87 Posts: 49 Member
    There is an option under food for breastfeeding that adds 500 calories back into your diet. You could add that to your diary every day, or you can just adjust your calories manually up by 500 calories.

Also, you will want to remember that your bone density is lower while you are breastfeeding. So be sure you are getting enough calcium. If you notice a dip in supply, up your water intake.

I am still breastfeeding my 14 month old :happy:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    You might consider setting your MFP calories to 'maintain' your weight, then take the calories burned through breastfeeding as a bonus to actually facilitate your weightloss. That's probably the simplest way to set things up so that you know your'e getting enough. If you have your activity level set to sedentary and you workout, you might want to eat back some of the calories you burn through exercise. Most of all be sure you stay well hydrated. :-)
  • diaz2012
    diaz2012 Posts: 28 Member
    I am also breastfeeding, i just added the-500 calories of breastfeeding and that changed my calories needed to lose weight ..i just started doing this since i was also worried about my milk supply, but for now its working you can check my diary if that helps... Good luck
  • Thank you guys! I appreciate all the replies. :) I added the 500 cal for breast feeding and it made my calorie intake look much better!