Strength training

Options
I started strength training yesterday. I want to know if I should change anything like my calories? How many days out of the week should I do it? just any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i lift 3 days a week (monday -upper body, thursday -lower body, saturday -fullbody)
    i did up my calories to my BMR, and really watch my protein now. i aim for at least 0.4 grams of protein per lb i weigh.. i have my macros set at 40carb/30protein/30fat and try really really hard to stick to that lol
    are you doing a set program or just the machines at the gym?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal. If you want to build muscle (remember, you won't get buff like bodybuilding women...they use roids), you need to eat an excess in calories. However, if you still want to lose some weight, I'd up your calories to "maintain" and see how that works for you. Those extra calories should be lean protein.
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    I asked about it last night within my friends and I was told to download the jefit on my phone and did some workouts from there. Today I did shoulder and biceps. Saturday Im going to do biceps and probably abs. Am I doing this wrong?

Sorry I meant Saturday Im going to do triceps not biceps again.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Never train the same body part two days in a row, with strength training your muscles need time to restore.

If your goal is to lose weight I would not change your caloric intake however I would incorporate a low calorie, zero carb, zero fat whey protein isolate into your nutrition immediately after or before 30 minutes expire after your strength training workouts.

Attempt to incorporate more lean protein meats into your diet without change to your caloric intake if you are attempting to lose weight. (Be careful with Tuna, no more than 10oz. per week)

Since you are beginning to strength train, assuming you are continuing with other training (cardio and etc.) I'd incorporate vitamin B12 into your diet for increased energy.
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    :wink: Thanks
  • Ric19k
    Ric19k Posts: 35
    Options
    Never train the same body part two days in a row, with strength training your muscles need time to restore.

If your goal is to lose weight I would not change your caloric intake however I would incorporate a low calorie, zero carb, zero fat whey protein isolate into your nutrition immediately after or before 30 minutes expire after your strength training workouts.

Attempt to incorporate more lean protein meats into your diet without change to your caloric intake if you are attempting to lose weight. (Be careful with Tuna, no more than 10oz. per week)

Since you are beginning to strength train, assuming you are continuing with other training (cardio and etc.) I'd incorporate vitamin B12 into your diet for increased energy.

Those are some really good tips man! thanks
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Ditch body part split days completely.

Do compound heavy lifts like squats, deadlifts, and overhead barbell press.

Still rest between lifting days.

You want to start ignoring your scale and start paying attention to body fat % and measurements pretty well immediately if you are already in reasonably good shape (from glancing at your picture, it appears that you are).

Eat at maintenance on days you lift, and at a deficit on days you don't. Keep your protein high and consistent, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1g per lb of bodyweight every day.

Eat low carb on rest days, high carb on workout days.

Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the program Starting Strength (just google it) for the best easily accessible detailed advice on weight lifting form and theory.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    I want to know if I should change anything like my calories?
    No need to change calories. Anaerobics (strength training) is time efficient and you won't consume many calories doing it compared to steady-state aerobics (cardio) which wastes huge amounts of energy.
    How many days out of the week should I do it?
    • Create a list of achievable and realistic goals.
    • Plan your workouts to achieve those goals.
    • Do one set per exercise.
    • Do 2-3 different exercises per muscle group per workout.
    • Do each muscle group no more than once per week.
    • Time each exercise with a stop watch (don't count reps).
    • Keep a diary of each exercise you perform, the resistance, and the time the muscle is under load (set duration in seconds).
    • Keep the set duration between 45-90 seconds by increasing the resistance as you become stronger.
    • Slowly (over a period of months to prevent next day soreness) increase intensity and work toward maximum muscle burn and total muscle failure in each exercise.
    • If you need to conserve time and/or energy, split your system 2-4 ways. For example, upper body/lower body/core or push/pull/legs/core,,,etc doing each split on a different day.
    • Do your aerobics (cardio), sports, cycling, hiking, etc on off days when you're not training anaerobically.
    • Try to keep your rests to about 2 minutes between sets.
    • Never take supplements without a doctor's recommendation
    • Don't engage in socializing or wasting time while training. Keep your focus.
    • Use good form to prevent injury and ensure workout to workout consistency. Watch this video to see good form --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k&feature=related

Good luck and good health!!

Buy this book and study it. --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I started strength training yesterday. I want to know if I should change anything like my calories? How many days out of the week should I do it? just any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
    The simplest approach would be to log it in MFP under your cardio workouts as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) " and eat back those calories - warning, it's not many if you're used to the huge burn of cardio! You might want to change you macro target rations to 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    i lift 3 days a week. and i dont really change my calories, but i do take an amino acid supplement on lifting days.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options

Uh oh... I have been working all my muscle groups 3 times a week (Tues, Thurs & Sat). Is this just completely wrong? Does anyone else do this?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Uh oh... I have been working all my muscle groups 3 times a week (Tues, Thurs & Sat). Is this just completely wrong? Does anyone else do this?

No its not completely wrong if you're seeing results. You're giving yourself a day off in between full body workouts, so you're giving yourself time to recover.

To OP, remember, sometimes less is more. You don't have to go into the gym and do 25 sets a workout, if you do compound exercises (bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows) you can go in and do 10-15 sets and get great results.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm watching this thread with interest... I've just started strength-training too and would be very glad of any tips.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for a few months and I didn't change my calories much, except I usually eat back (the small number of) calories I burn in a weights session. I did change my macros to 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat though. I don't usually hit it, but it's the goal.

I'm not near my goal weight or what I was 10 years ago, but I feel like body composition has really improved. The one bit of advice I got a little late was to start small with just one or two simple full body sessions a week. Apparently when you're new this will give huge benefits and then when you start to hit a plateau it's really easy to shock your body by adding exercises, breaking it up into body parts etc.

Good luck. I bet you love it, it's addictive!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    like others might have said, bench, squat and deadlift. Make sure your form is correct on all 3 exercises, check youtube. And no, you won't get bulky when you start adding more weight.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    All of the above seems ok to me.

Regarding leanring the lifts...forget youtube and the failweb...go and see a real strength coach. It wont cost you must, and they will be MORE than happy to help you out!!!

Seriously.