Barbell: Standard Straight Bar or an EZ Curl Bar?

Options
Zichu
Zichu Posts: 542 Member
Hey, I'm going to start strength training soon, I managed to buy a Dumbbell Set yesterday so far the weight is only 18kg, but I even struggled to carry it from the store to the car (it was quite far though lol). I found a site that has some good workout programs and I intend to follow them and hopefully increase my muscle mass and strength. Even though I cycle 3 or 4 times a week my leg muscles are still in pretty bad shape and even though it's getting a little easier each time I go for a ride, it's still so knackering on my legs and need to build up the muscle there for future bike rides.

I just have a couple of questions. As you can see the first question is in the title. Straight Bar or EZ Curl Bar. I plan to be doing Deadlifts, Squats, Bent Over Barbell Row, Upright Row, Military Press, Barbell Bicep Curl and the French Press. (Not sure if these are the correct terms, but it's what this site is calling them lol). The guy in the videos is using a standard straight barbell and I just wanted to know if there are advantages or disadvantages to using either one?

Another question is, are all Barbell and Weight Plate sizes all standard, as in, if I bought a Barbell by York would my Lonsdale Weight Plates fit that Barbell, or any Barbell on the market?

Replies

• LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can help with one question. I was told the EZ Bar was meant more for bicep and tricep exercises, apparently. I'd assume that the plates would probably be sized for that manufacturers bar too, so I don't think they'd be interchangeable. Yep, you're getting the names right, although I don't know some of those exercises.

I do have a question, I can currently only curl the EZ bar at my gym without any extra weight, how much am I curling? And how much do the standard straight bars weigh?
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For most of the exercises you've mentioned the straight bar will be the best.

The EZ Bar is normally used for curling exercises because it positions the hands in a better position reducing the strain on the wrists. You can do dumbell/concentration/hammer curls instead.

best wishes
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For most of the exercises you've mentioned the straight bar will be the best.

The EZ Bar is normally used for curling exercises because it positions the hands in a better position reducing the strain on the wrists. You can do dumbell/concentration/hammer curls instead.

best wishes

Agree. Good advice.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, will get one ordered as soon as possible.