How bad is diet pop for you?

Options
I use to drink alot of regular pop. I have managed to switch over to diet but I still drink alot. I have been drinking water also but I'm just wondering is diet pop really that bad for you. It has 0 calories

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ignore calories, check the ingredients. Yeah, no sugar...but lots of chemicals and yuckies.

Yes, pop is bad for you, in regular or diet.

However, it's FANTASTIC that you've switched from regular. Try to get the diet pop out of your diet, but doing it gradually may be easier than cold turkey. And yeah, it has addictive substances in it, so it'll suck at first...but persevere and you'll feel amazing once it's out of your life.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Oh lord....you just opened up a *kitten* storm.

Anyway.....there's chemicals in it that aren't all that great for your body.

Some people say that it causes you to have more sugar cravings because it's sweet.

I know how it feels. I was a STAUNCH Diet Coke addict for a while. I started making giant jugs of Green tea in my lovely Tea Maker at home and now that's all I drink. I never in a million years thought I would be able to kick the habit but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I have a diet coke every now and then but it's like 1-2 a week now. :drinker:
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Try watering the diet pop down with lots of ice. Then you will be drinking less of the bad stuff and getting more water in your system:smile:
    angl
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    honestly, a lot of the stuff going around via emails or internet is overkill...I just read a really good and informative book about how there is not enough aspartame in a can or two of diet pop to do any harm to the human body...the studies that have been conducted were sketchy. well, I suppose I shoudlnt' get into it too much.
    I am an off and on diet dr. P fan...when I drink it it doesn't make me have more cravings. in fact, I treat it as a treat if I am craving a sweet and don't want the calories...

Cindy
    :heart:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    my main gripes with pop, ,diet or not are as follows:

there have been multiple studies published that indicate that artificial sweeteners not only fail to curb sugar cravings, they intensify them.

the caffeine acts as a diuretic. This means that it stimulates the release of hormones that cause you to pee more, and therefore you become dehydrated.

the carbonation in pop is highly acidic. in order to neutralize this acidity, calcium is needed. Where does this calcium come from? Your bones. There have been direct links between osteoporosis and the amount of acidity (such as carbonation) in a persons diet.

i'm not about to tell you not to drink soda. just make sure you limit the amounts, balance it out with plenty of water, and have adequate amounts of calcium in your diet.
  • AdamA
    AdamA Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been off diet pop for about 6 months now and what helped me kick the habit was sparkling water of one kind or another. I think I was after the carbonation thing and this helped.