C25K - How far are you going (I am a turtle)

Options
I started the C25K thing. This is supposed to get you to 5k distance, but I am in week 3 and only getting about 2.5k. I know I am slow, but is this normal??

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I got further on week two the one. But still only a little over a mile and a half, i believe i just do it on the back roads by my house so dont measure distance! Im slow too!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K thing. This is supposed to get you to 5k distance, but I am in week 3 and only getting about 2.5k. I know I am slow, but is this normal??

I only just managed to cover 5k after week 5, including 5 mins warm up walk, and cool down walk!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have looked at 5K but don't know more about it than a casual glance.

But I do know that with most running programs the advice is to run as slow as you can initially. Speed (and therefore distance) will come with time, just concentrate on running for as long as it tells you to, and as your fitness and stamina improve you'll find yourself running faster automatically.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You run for longer as c25k progresses. Exept in week 3, in wich your training is only 25 mins instead of the normal 30. That might account for the less km. The rest of the program lets you run for longer each week. So you will come further as you get further in the program. Dont worry about it. Also C25K trains you to either run 5k (if you run 6 mins per km) or 30 mins in a row. Either is fine! Speed will come with time.

When i started i ran about 3km. But in week 3 i did about 2.5km but now i do just over 5k and im in week 8.
  • TheNewDoug
    Options
    When your walks turn into all runs think how much further you will go in the same amount of time. I am in week 4, and I don't go very fast at all. I am just worried about building my conditioning up to be able to jog the whole time.
  • frogman4591
    frogman4591 Posts: 135
    Options
    Keep going. I am on Week 8 and am running 5k. This is byfar the farthest I have ever run and it feels so good. When I was at week three I thought too that it was impossible. But it is possible.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 3 today. Last run was 4.8km. But i count from when I leave the house to when I get home. For warmup I walk to the trail (about 1k) then I run the intervals, turn back about halfway and walk home from wherever I am done. So my actual distance doing the intervals is more like 3.5k. Plus, I've changed the intervals a little though. 2min run, 1.5walk, 3min run, 2 walk, doing 3 sets.
    I figure I'll work on speed once I've built up the endurance...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I run at 5 mph, so it takes me almost 40 minutes to run 5K (I've just completed the C25K). What I did during the training was to set the timer on the treadmill for 45 minutes and just repeat the walk/run for that week for 45 minutes instead of the 25-30 that the program calls for. I just wasn't getting as good of a workout when it was shorter. I'll be working on my speed next.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think it took me 37 mins to run 5K.
    I followed the program at the beginning, but around week 7 i started running for longer than the app said to make up the distance.
    Unfortunately, due to old lady hip pain, I havent run for a few weeks. Hoping that fish oil and a rest from running will help!!!
  • campbellcjdm
    Options
    Wow - Thanks all - I thought I was doing something wrong - glad to hear this is the norm .... I will keep going. :drinker: