Pasta recipes

Options
jacqui1612
jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
Has anyone got any healthy pasta recipes? I have a real weakness for pasta and could do with some healthy recipes. Thanks :)

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    The latest craze is whole wheat pasta, I find the angel hair the most palatable. Pick the low sodium tomatoes and sauces. I use basil, oregano, garlic., onions, peppers if you like them. Try for lowfat meats. I have actually come to like the 99% fat free Turkey. Just saute it all in a little olive oil and pour over the pasta.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Bump Bump Bump

I love this place!

I should look it up since I don't know the calories, nor have I made it in a while.

In a pan with olive oil I slice sausage (any kind- i use chicken with peppers, garlic, and onion in them) and fresh garlic and onion, also a full tomatoe or can of tomatoes and peppers

I pour it over angel hair pasta, or sketti, or anything lol

Add cheese if you like. . etc
  • nurseamysweeney
    Options
    I like useing spaghetti squash instead of pasta pasta, and I make spinach and ricotta raviolli but use wonton wrappers :-)
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I second the 99% lean turkey--I like meat in my spaghetti sauce and the turkey tastes similar to beef when mixed into the sauce. When I want something creamier, I heat/mix a serving of spaghetti sauce with a serving of low fat alfredo.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This pad thai recipe...it tastes more like teriyaki, but is DELICIOUS! I use multigrain angel hair pasta.

http://chefchloe.com/entrees/pad-thai-noodles.html

It works out to 330 calories per cup.

e44a6f32e15cb53ee479b2697e759e2e_XL.jpg

Mine doesn't look this pretty due to not using the same noodles or peanuts and I do add shredded carrots.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Just made this great one tonight! Saw it on Kathie Lee and Hoda so I had to make it!

Avocado Pesto Pasta
    - 1 pound linguine (you could probably substitute for whole grain linguine), boil and set aside
    - 2 ripe avocados (take the seed out and scoop out the insides
    - 1 bunch of fresh basil
    - 1/2 cup pine nuts (these are expensive, you could substitute walnuts if you'd like. will change the taste a little bit)
    - 2 tbsp lemon juice
    - 3 cloves of garlic
    - 1/2 cup olive oil
    - salt and pepper to taste

Boil the noodles, set aside. In food processor, process the remaining ingredients (from the avocado to the olive oil). Salt and pepper the sauce to taste. Mix in with noodles.

This made a lot of extra sauce in my opinion which was good! It has healthy fats in in, protein, and whole grains! And it is vegan!
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just made this great one tonight! Saw it on Kathie Lee and Hoda so I had to make it!

Avocado Pesto Pasta
    - 1 pound linguine (you could probably substitute for whole grain linguine), boil and set aside
    - 2 ripe avocados (take the seed out and scoop out the insides
    - 1 bunch of fresh basil
    - 1/2 cup pine nuts (these are expensive, you could substitute walnuts if you'd like. will change the taste a little bit)
    - 2 tbsp lemon juice
    - 3 cloves of garlic
    - 1/2 cup olive oil
    - salt and pepper to taste

Boil the noodles, set aside. In food processor, process the remaining ingredients (from the avocado to the olive oil). Salt and pepper the sauce to taste. Mix in with noodles.

This made a lot of extra sauce in my opinion which was good! It has healthy fats in in, protein, and whole grains! And it is vegan!

Hmm. That sounds really good. Will definitely have to try. Thanks
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a keeper.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My "Light" Pasta ala G-Bo:

2oz Raw Pasta of your choice. I use elbow. (weighed!) 210c
    1/4 Cup Light Ragu Alfredo Sauce 60c
    4-5 Whole Mushrooms, quartered 0c
    3oz Breast of Chicken, cut into pieces (cooked) 90c
    (Optional) 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese 20c
    ground black pepper, to taste.
    Butter Spray 0c

Take pasta and cook to package directions. While cooking pasta, place mushrooms in pot and cover with water. Bring to boil until done.

When pasta is cooked and drained...and mushrooms are boiled and drained, combine all ingredients in an eating bowl large enough to accommodate the food. Spray with butter flavor spray.

A VERY filling 360 calorie meal. For 20 extra calories, add a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese. For a lighter dish, double the mushrooms, add Parmesan, and ditch the chicken for a mere 290 meal.

This similar dish at Olive Garden will run 800-1000 calories.

Recipe serves 1.

I like this recipe because I LOVE Pasta Alfredo with Chicken but can't eat it at restaurants because it's too high in calories. The mushrooms add filling bulk and flavor. Add more of them if you're really hungry. If you're light on calories, then leaving out the chicken really helps to lower the count.
  • yttiksdrawkcab
    yttiksdrawkcab Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My mother makes this really tasty balsamic chicken with artichoke and red pepper that I like to put over whole wheat spaghetti. It's super easy to make too. Marinade chicken breast in balsamic vinegar for at least a half an hour. cut artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers and cut them into small chunks. Saute the chicken, peppers, and artichokes in a tablespoon of olive oil until the chicken is cooked. Once the chicken is mostly cooked, you can also add spinach if you like. Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar with the olive oil if you want extra flavor. I'll try and ask her for a more precise recipe if anyone wants. This is all off the top of my head.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mrsepiphany
    mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a couple pasta recipes with pics and nutritional info on my new blog! thinmeals.blogspot.com...

Check them out!

Cajun Turkey Pasta
    Stuffed meatballs and rotini pasta
  • DavesKitten
    Options
    I happen to love pasta and there are some awesome ideas here.
    Thanks everyone.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like to use a julienne peeler to make zuchinni or yellow sqaush into noodles. You just use the peeler to make spaghetti like strands and cook them up with a little oil spray or olive oil for about 3 minutes. Taste great topped with about any sauce you can think of. Another great veggie substitute would be spaghetti squash. Once cooked the inside comes out in strands just like spaghetti. Here is a link on cooking it: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm. The nice thing about spaghetti squash is that it has a longer shelf like then most veggies. All of these options are also low carb if you are watching your carbs. If you don't want to eat just veggies try mixing it with about half the pasta you normally use. That is what I do when I want a bigger meal.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    This pad thai recipe...it tastes more like teriyaki, but is DELICIOUS! I use multigrain angel hair pasta.

Mine doesn't look this pretty due to not using the same noodles or peanuts and I do add shredded carrots.

this looks delish! i'm going to try this on friday!
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like useing spaghetti squash instead of pasta pasta, and I make spinach and ricotta raviolli but use wonton wrappers :-)

Just tried spaghetti squash the first time the other night with some baked chicken parm and it was really good! Great alternative!
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    I use Rotini whole wheat pasta, 99% fat free ground turkey, hunts pasta sauce, and a little bit of tomato paste. AND I LOVE IT. It's weird to me that people don't like the taste of whole wheat pasta..I can't taste much of a difference. I guess just eat it until you love it.
    I started adding spinach to it recently and it's pretty good. 251 calories a serving and it lasts you throughout the entire week.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

this looks delish! i'm going to try this on friday!

i made this the other day (sans peanuts and fancy garnish) and it was delicious!

I had no idea it would be so easy and healthy! yummmm
  • starfish1783
    Options

This sounds delicious!!! How do you make the ravioli? I LOVE it but I eat way too many carbs.
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite pasta dish to make: Fresh Tomatoes, Garlic, Onions and Mozzarella. Less than 400 calories per serving.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gingerfitness/view/fresh-tomato-garlic-onion-and-mozzarella-pasta-460342