HRM?

Options
looking to get one. Any advice on which is the best?

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4. Love it!
  • DannieW155
    Options
    I <3 my polar ft4
  • mamarupp
    mamarupp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also have a polar FT4. It's great to have a more accurate number of calories burned. I found that I actually burned less than what the site and machines st the gym told me!
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love my new Polar FT4. It does exactly what I need it to do and the price was quite reasonable. It is very easy to set up and use!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Best is moving target. What do you plan on using it for? What's your budget?

If you're looking for something to use indoors on the treadmill etc it's hard to go wrong with one of the Polar FT series.

If you're going to be walking, running and/or biking outdoors have a look at the Garmin Forerunner GPS/HRM units. I like mine-it keeps my distances honest!
  • Joyyj
    Joyyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and love it.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    On all posts/research I've done, it's clear that Polar is a great brand! I went with the Garmin FR70 and I'm pretty pleased with it :) My best advice is that whatever you choose, get one with a chest strap :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Depends on what all you want to do with it.

If you're just going to the gym, just doing cardio, there are plenty of low-cost options out there with Polar's line of heart rate monitors rated as some of the best. There are plenty of posters on these boards that recommend them.

If you're planning on starting a running or biking routine outside, get a HRM that also has GPS capabilities. Polar sells a couple with GPS, but Garmin's GPS's are pretty much bullet proof. I have the Garmin Forerunner 305, which has a heart rate monitor. I got it because I run and wanted to know how far and how fast. Now I use it whenever I exercise (it has a couple different options for exercises), even if all I want is the HRM function. The newer Garmin models have a little bit better form factor than the older FR305 has (which is like wearing a small computer on your wrist). My wife has the Forerunner 210, which, had it been available when I bought mine, i would have opted for that. If you want the GPS models, make sure it has everything you want -- the more expensive models allow you to set up intervals and other types of workouts that the low-cost ones may not support.

Whatever you get, make sure your choice has a chest strap to monitor your heart rate. The wrist-only systems aren't as accurate.