eating low carbs?

Options
curvykatie
curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
for those of you on a low carb diet, what do you eat instead of carbs?
i'm thinking of maybe lowering my carb intake but because it makes up most of my meals i dont know what i would eat instead, i already eat way over on my protein.

Katie
x

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you answered your own question. There's only 3 choices, so if you take carbs out, and don't want to eat any more protein, you're left with fats my dear, there is no fourth alternative.
  • ktala24
    ktala24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vegtables and dairy, Vegtables which are your fiber very few people get their daily allowance and dairy as well. Yogurt and string cheese things like that (watch the sugar in things like yogurt that have a carb effect).
    Some great snacks hummus and celery or red peppers. Yum!
    Also sugar free Jello with cool whip. Very little sugar in that snack.

Hope that helps a little.

Kristie
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking of maybe lowering my carb intake but because it makes up most of my meals i dont know what i would eat instead, i already eat way over on my protein.

Katie
    x
    When you say low carbs, what do you mean? When I eat a lower carb diet (on that wagon again starting yesterday), I take out anything that is packaged, processed, or white (crackers, cookies, rice, bread, etc.) but I load up and love my fruits. I don't believe carbs are bad, but rather the type of carbs you eat. I looked at my diary for the past week and figured out where I could have made HEALTHIER food choices carb wise and I'm going to try that.

Hope it goes well for you :)
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    i agree
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    When you adjust your stats manually, you'll see that if you raise or lower one of the three (carb/fat/protein), the others adjust to keep all of the percentages at 100%. That's because all of our calories come from those three things.

For about the first month that I was here, I played around with the stats and possible menus to find a healthy balance...for me. Good carbs are ok, but even then, I try to keep them to a minimum. High protein foods, low carb, low fat are what I aim for (sometimes unsuccessfully). Based on my own diet (I can't cook at work, or find some unprocessed items locally, nor do I have the time to cook everything from scratch), I found a plan that seems healthy and is working, for me.

I avoid breads and generally only have a slice of whole wheat for breakfast to help get me going. I only rarely eat pasta and other grain products, and beans are kept to a minimum. No potatoes at all. Other than that, just remember that fruit also contains quite a few carbs (due to their sugar content).
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Katie
    x
    I would consider my meals low in "processed" carbs. I try to stay away from sugar, white flower, and for sure no fried foods. I do not limit my fruits/vegitables. I have tried the Adkins thing...worked for a while but I could not stick to it. When I want bread/tortillas/english muffin...I will really look at my calories for the day and decide is this gonna work today. I have yo-yo'd long enough to know, when you say "NO" to a food group you just want it more. Good luck...cut your sugar.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've decreased my carb goals, which increased my protein & fat allowances. I find that I eat lots of veggies & lean protein meat & cheese. Fruit has a lot of carbs, so I naturally limit them. It isn't so hard to stay within the limits if you do the research & log everything.
  • crl0421
    crl0421 Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You have find that balance/ ratio of all 3 to find what works for you. I lose the fastest when I cut out everything and just eat lean proteins (chicken breast, turkey breast, fish and eggs) I'm a LC shake person. Love those. EAS is my preferred brand. I lost 8.8 pounds week before last doing just that. Keep your carbs under 20, fats low and cals under 1200. I try to go between eating really LC and then on the weekends upping my fats a little. Helps with the cravings as well. that's usually when I will add in beef, but I try to eat the lean kinds.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My carbs come from natural sources only.............

Nuts and seeds
    Dairy (yogurt, cheese, butter)
    Vegetables
    Limited amount of fruit (mostly eat berries, apples, pears, pineapple, melons)
    Baked sweet potato about 1 or 2 times a month

Only grains I eat are steel cut oats and quinoa. I have eaten DreamsField Pasta on occasion, but it makes me retain water badly due to the wheat in it, so it looks like I am going to have to cut it out completely and permanently because I don't like dealing with swollen hands, ankles and bloated stomach.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You have find that balance/ ratio of all 3 to find what works for you. I lose the fastest when I cut out everything and just eat lean proteins (chicken breast, turkey breast, fish and eggs) I'm a LC shake person. Love those. EAS is my preferred brand. I lost 8.8 pounds week before last doing just that. Keep your carbs under 20, fats low and cals under 1200. I try to go between eating really LC and then on the weekends upping my fats a little. Helps with the cravings as well. that's usually when I will add in beef, but I try to eat the lean kinds.

Studies are showing that in the absence of processed foods, saturated fats (animal fat) is not bad for you.................

So, you can go ahead and enjoy that big, fat juicy ribeye steak and eat the strip of fat on the side of it..............just make sure it is Grass-fed beef so you get the CLA benefits from it and also free of antibiotics and hormones!!