Advise for a beginning runner

Options
Hi everyone,

I have never been a runner but decided to focus on a fitness goal rather than just a weight loss goal. After all, losing weight may be a step toward healthy but its not the only thing. Anyway, I want to be able to run in the local Turkey Trot 5k this November. Toward this goal, I have begun the Couch to 5K program. I am half way through my second week of Week 1. I am really enjoying it! So here are my questions:

1. Can anyone recommend running sneakers that won't break the bank? The ones I have are okay, but I find if I don't tie them just right my feet cramp up halfway through my session.

2. My shins are sore. Actually, the feel bruised and sensitive to the touch. Is this a normal side effect of beginning a running regime or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Cathi

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You need to either (1) go to a shoe store and be properly fitted for the right shoe for your gait and stride, or (2) look up this information on the internet and find a shoe that will work best for your type of running. I'm a saucony gal, I've only ever ran in saucony progrids and I love them. Saucony, Runner's World and other places have shoe finders in their websites.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Cathi,

I think you have one solution for both of your problems. Go get fitted for shoes! If you find your local running store (not foot locker) and go in they should watch you run, look at your feet, adn make a recommendation on what shoes will work well for you. Shoes are a great investment. It might cost you a little more initially, but running shoes will last you 300-400 miles.

You might want to put some ice on your shins in the evenings for maybe 15 mins to take a little swelling out and speed your recovery.
  • addies_mom
    Options
    Your shins being sore= most likely shin splints. Ice them often (15 mins at a time) and avoid running until it settles down. Lots of times shin splints are either due to your shoes, poor gait (striking your heel hard to the ground as you run) or both. Saucony are great, as are New Balance. I know running shoes seem expensive, but the investment is well worth it. You may also want to check and see if arch supports (orthotics) are something you need? Good luck :)
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics (about $90), but I'm hoping in the coming weeks to be able to go to a runners store (there's not one in our little po-dunk town) and get fitted for shoes. I've got my fingers crossed that I can get a pair for under $130.

I too am pretty new at running. Last spring I started walking a path, then slowly started running the downhills and straightaways. When the heat of Texas summer hit, I was only able to walk the path (had to be able to return to work without still dripping with sweat after lunch). Once it cooled down in the fall, I decided to see if I could run it and realized not only could I run it, but I loved it! I wasn't sure about continuing to run as it heats up this spring and the winds are pretty rough at 30-40mph, so I just recently joined the gym to be able to run on the treadmill and lift some weights.

As far as your shins go, I saw someone say on here not too long ago that if they tie their shoes too tight, their shins hurt. So, you might try that. I'm no expert, I can only give you my opinion.
  • bnaile
    bnaile Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Go to the running store. It will make a big difference. But I love my Nike Pegasus 28.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm another Asics fan but agree completely with the suggestion for going to a running specialty store and getting fitted properly.

The most common reason for shin splints is a sudden increase in distance or intensity. Ice packs, cut back your distance or intensity a bit (but go ahead and x-train).

There has been some interesting research into running shoes - despite all the high tech designs the most important thing is that they fit you properly. http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/january27-2011/shoefits
  • JennyWLS
    JennyWLS Posts: 7
    Options
    I am thankful that I am able to wear a neutral fit shoe, so I can pretty much buy whatever I want. That being said, I did invest the time (and money) into going and getting a very nice pair of Mizuno running shoes from the local store. Not only do I get top notch service, but they have an amazing no questions asked return policy. They told me if I decided after a few runs that the shoes didn't work for me for whatever reason to just bring them back in and exchange them for something else.

When I started running last year I wore pretty much t-shirts, shorts, and a random pair of New Balance shoes. As I've grown as a runner, I've accumulated a few nicer things and it makes the runs so much more enjoyable. Just yesterday I gave a new pair of socks a whirl, and it really made for a more comfortable run.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like Adidas and Brooks running shoes. I will tell you the best thing I ever did was get properly fitted.

I had the same feeling as you in my shins when I first started running in 2006. My shin muscle was sore to the touch in the beginning. For me it was trying to run faster and more than I should.

You may need to do more walking to get your shin muscles use to the movement. If its really painful right at the start, that is most likly shin splints.

I used C25K also. Its a great program. I've since participated in numerous 5k's, a few 10k's and 3 half marathons. I love running. Its very meditative. I hope your pain goes soon.
  • Maxingtonbear
    Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY get fitted properly!
    As for shins, I had MAJOR shin splints when I first started running last year. It was insanely bad. Things I did to fix it: icing my shins (I took 2 20oz. Pop bottles, filled with water & froze them), looked up a ton of stretches online, wore calf compression sleeves & started going to my chiropractor again.
    Tons of good luck to you!
  • CathiWiltsey
    CathiWiltsey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! It looks like I need to bite the bullet and get some good running shoes that have been properly fitted. I just have to think of it as an investment in my health.

Now to find a specialty store in my area...
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Going to a local running store and getting fitted as others have mentioned is key. However, some give discounts to YMCA members or have sales around certain holidays, so if you're looking for a cheaper option, don't skimp on shoe quality, but instead buy when they are 20% off full price!!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You need to either (1) go to a shoe store and be properly fitted for the right shoe for your gait and stride, or (2) look up this information on the internet and find a shoe that will work best for your type of running. I'm a saucony gal, I've only ever ran in saucony progrids and I love them. Saucony, Runner's World and other places have shoe finders in their websites.

^This. Exactly. Don't go to the mall shoe store, go to a real runners store. Your legs, knees & joints will thank you. You'll be a happier runner & you'll want to run more often. My knees became achy in my department store Asics. When I saved up & went to a real runners store & bought Mizuno's...It now feels like I'm running on a cloud.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try to get fitted for shoes. I am too cheap to pay $100 for shoes no matter how amazing they are so I went for the local Skechers outlet and tried on every pair of shoes until I found a pair that fit well and thankfully only cost $40. I have had similar success at a NIke outlet and a Reebok outlet in the past so I would suggest trying to find an outlet if money is an issue and just try on everything.

On a side note, I used to get shin splints from running/walking too. I researched it and the general consensus seemed to be that it was caused by my gait and that I needed a shoe that would allow my foot to hit mid sole. I have found that it has made a difference in muscle fatigue for me and my shin splints are pretty much history.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics (about $90), but I'm hoping in the coming weeks to be able to go to a runners store (there's not one in our little po-dunk town) and get fitted for shoes. I've got my fingers crossed that I can get a pair for under $130.

They had a big table of last seasons running shoes at 30% off when I bought my new ones at our running specialty store. I love a bargain!
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    I went to the running store to be fitted them came home and found the same pair on amazon for $60 less. I just bought an older model of the same shoe. Good luck!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Get fitted! I looked up our local specialty running stores. We have 2 that do fittings. I also did some research and learned that the fitting helps you to learn what brands are best for you as well. So, if your foot is geared towards a Nike, you will be able to go buy Nikes on sale at other stores, rather than spend full price at the running store if you don't want. Typically, a manufacturer stays pretty consistent on the type of foot they fit, whether its high arch or low arch, etc. And ALWAYS try both of the shoes on in the store. I have tried shoes on that one had a weird seam, or something, inside that rubbed. Tried on same make and model, just a different pair, and got a perfect fit.

When it comes to trying on shoes, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! Good, comfortable shoes will not only help you run better, but they really do prevent injury and pain.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just to weigh in quickly - I agree with everyone else - bite the bullet and go to a running store that will fit you properly - watch you walk/run, or some will put you on a treadmill that has a camera at foot level and really analyze your stride. They'll look to see if you pronate and recommend shoes for you that will work best.
    With the shin problems - I had that last year when I was training for a marathon. I'd come home from long runs with my shins screaming at me. I bought a big tub (like the kind you might use to ice down a case of your favorite beverage at a summer party) and filled it with ice water. I'd stick my legs in up to my knees in that for about 10-15 minutes. I've also taken full ice baths. Highly recommend them for post-workout recovery.
  • bsbbaby3
    bsbbaby3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started running last year in March and last month just did my first 1/2 marathon :)
    When I started I talked to a 'shoe expert' which they have out at a sporting store here in my town, it really depends on the arches of your feet. Also you shouldn't have pain running, more than likely it is from your shoes.
    I personally use vibram five fingers running shoes, but i know some people don't like them - you also need to have at least a month to break them in otherwise you will get blisters/muscle pain because it is like running bare foot.

Either way good luck to you!! I also recomend C25K aka couch to 5k, its a 9wk program that helps you go from never running to a 5k. That is what I used before my first 5k.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. Try to get fitted as people say and go for last year's styles. No-one that's anyone will give a stuff about what your shoes look like.

2. Sore shins and other things are normal at this stage. They will ease in time - just dont overdo it as early discomfort is the one thing that will put you off further exercise.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Generally all higher models of brand name running shoes are very good. Manufacturers introduce new shoe models frequently. Very often changes are insignificant, like color, logo area etc. If you can get the last year models it will cost you less money.

Last year when I started to run I thought I was too “smart” to pay $100 for running shoes. Settled for New Balance and was very happy. February 2012 I bought Asisc 2170 and am very happy.

Maybe I am biased now, but I would say that there is a difference between basic running shoes and top models. Last year Asisc running shoes model 2160 were voted the World Best Shoes.

Whatever you decide do not run in sneakers.