cheap recipe ideas?

Options
hi, i'm a broke college student trying to lose weight. any recipes are helpful, especially ones including chicken, which is basically the only meat i can afford! lol. any ideas?

Replies

• kimmieMcF
    kimmieMcF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you could experiment with lentils, they are high in protein and fiber and super cheap. (use a recipe because they are bland!) If you eat them with brown rice that will add to the nutrition, and then it's just a matter of counting calories. Beans and rice at the quinesential cheap food. Also simple sandwhiches can be filling and easy if you make them well, and don't have to be too expensive. Add an apple to complete the meal so you don't feel like it's not enough. Oatmeal is good for breakfast and cheap (not the sugary kind ). www.skinnytaste.com has some red lentil recipies that look good. When I was in college, I ate alot of baked potatoes, because they were cheap. But I think you need to have some protein. canned tuna on lettuce with oil and balsamic vinegar and garlic salt , and a peice of bread and an orange can be a pretty good and not too pricey. We also ate a lot of what I call hippe stew, kindof wierd rice and vegetable type dishes that we shared. the little clementines or cuties are good snacks and low in calories. Good for you for trying to lose weight! That's awesome. I found avoiding sugar and dairy helped me with the calorie count. And I avoided artificial sweetners, because sweet makes me want more sweet. good luck!
  • ajcrider
    ajcrider Posts: 11
    Options
    Try stir-fry. Saute diced chicken, add a bag of frozen vegis, and your preference of sauce. Cooks quick and you can change it up by adding different veggies and sauces. Serve over rice or noodles or just eat plain :)
  • christasnyder
    Options
    you can also buy some fish fillets. i bought lots of fish fillets from safeway. and you can make lots of things with fish fillets

I only eat chicken and white fish.

What I have done with chicken is pan-frying it with garlic salt and pepper. Also i have cooked it in terryaki sauce. You should also have veggies as well.

I usually get bell peppers because they are delicious cooked or raw. Or kale. I also eat whole wheat pasta as well
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies stir fry with chicken, soy sauce, ground ginger, and natures seasoning!