I need to "Eat to Live," NOT "Live to Eat!"

Options
I think I have figured out what my big food problem is: I have been living to eat instead of the other way around! When I get to have my next meal has been at the center of my thoughts every hour of every day, and I am thinking there's no way that can be healthy. When all you think about it food, then inevitably bad food is going to make its way into your thoughts, and then you are constantly thinking about how you can't have it, which makes you want it more, and then you eat it and feel awful, and then eat more because you feel awful! So. . . . I need to change my focus and frame of mind. :) I need to make my world revolve around something other than food and just remember that I only eat because I need to keep my body healthy and give it nutrients.

Now here's where you come in. . . I'm looking for ideas of how to make this shift! What works for you so that you're not so food-centered? Is it even possible to be a healthy person and not be somewhat food-centered? Need suggestions and maybe some encouragement. :) Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Instead of obsessing over eating, obsess over eating right.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Start a fitness program, the more challenging the better. When you start thinking about food in relation to your workouts, your whole perspective shifts.
  • samalex01
    samalex01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think I have figured out what my big food problem is: I have been living to eat instead of the other way around!

Growing up food was a major part of our culture and lives, and it's taking me over 35 years to finally realize I have to change this mentality for the sake of me and my family. Problem though is will power, which I unfortunately don't' have much of :) But that's changing when it comes to food...
  • Getfitbefree
    Getfitbefree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a struggler of food taking control of me...I have found that once you are comfortable with who you are it all starts to fall in place ;) I am a firm believer that you need to do some sort of workout regimen also and never reward yourself with food!! Go buy a new shirt or get a pedicure or something instead!! ;) keep up the good work
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I workout regularly, so that's not a problem. . .I do cardio 5 mornings a week and I push myself with the weight training I do. Just need a handle on the food situation!

As far as being comfortable with who I am. . . I get to the point where I'm really happy with myself and for some reason sabotage it all!!! Something is wrong with my brain. ;)
  • my2gr8boys
    Options
    I am in this same boat right now!! I feel like I never make the right food choices. Even though I am working out 5 days a week, I throw it all away when I get home & start eating. I feel your pain! I think I just need to start forcing myself to eat the right things and after a few weeks, it will just click. Here's to hoping, at least!! :wink:
  • Mehagon
    Options
    You know, here's where I make my bad decisions. . . all my meals and snacks are carefully planned out, and I never eat badly at home. But I'm a school teacher. . . people bring CRAP treats to share and they are free and they are just there for the taking. That's my biggest food weakness.
  • Mehagon
    Options
    Case in Point. Here is the e-mail I just received:

"Dear Vikings,

At some point today to celebrate our approaching Spring Break, please stop by the teacher’s lounge to enjoy an ice cream sandwich.

Make it a great day!"

Ugh. Go go gadget will power!!!!
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help but I have started trying to think that 'life is too short'. The news has been really depressing here (UK) in the last couple of days with loads of young deaths and it got me thinking that there is so much going on out there that food can not be my focus.

I suppose some people could take that as 'life is too short to worry about what your eating so have what you want'but what I really mean is that life is too short to make food the centre of your universe. Everytime I starting thinking about food, bad food particularly, I try to think to myself 'life is too short to focus on that', think about the important things!
  • Mehagon
    Options
    Not sure if this will help but I have started trying to think that 'life is too short'. The news has been really depressing here (UK) in the last couple of days with loads of young deaths and it got me thinking that there is so much going on out there that food can not be my focus.

I suppose some people could take that as 'life is too short to worry about what your eating so have what you want'but what I really mean is that life is too short to make food the centre of your universe. Everytime I starting thinking about food, bad food particularly, I try to think to myself 'life is too short to focus on that', think about the important things!

Thank you for that! That is a great idea. . . my husband and I recently went to visit a friend of his going through drug rehab, and that helps put things in perspective too. . . goes along with what you are saying here I think.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I posted somewhere in these forums that I do both!

I love food, it loves me, I eat to live and live to eat, haha!

There is nothing wrong with a passion for food. You just have to not over indulge and move enough to not have your passion consume your body with loads of clinging fat. When I am working out regularly, like I am suppose to, I can eat anything within reason.

That's my outlook anyway....

exercise.png
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've been the same way in my life. My family (especially my mother) was very food-oriented growing up (amazingly we are not Italan LOL) and so I've carried that with me into adulthood, looking forward to what the next meal is going to be.

It helps me to stay busy and keep my mind occupied with other things. Have another subject to think about when your mind starts meandering in "what am I going to eat?" territory. Plan your meals out in advance in the morning so you don't have to think about them during the day.
  • Getfitbefree
    Getfitbefree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women who do that. Hang in there ;)
  • Mehagon
    Options
    I know a lot of women who do that. Hang in there ;)

Thanks. :) Taking this Spring Break opportunity to take back control and get my head straight!! :)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Am I the only one who was reminded of this?

tumblr_l4p42aDVLb1qa0v43o1_500.jpg
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I run, focus on other things, when something makes me want to eat, instead of avoiding what is making what to eat I face it head on. Find things that keep you busy like being crafty.

I once was in your shoes and it's hard, but one you do it, it gets easier every time.
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    Options
    I actually said this exact thing to my mom last nite lol I love all the bad food that my family gets to eat and I don't and I need to get out of that mind set. I need to stop loving food so much:laugh:
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who was reminded of this?

tumblr_l4p42aDVLb1qa0v43o1_500.jpg

This was the first thing I thought of
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    This was the first thing I thought of

...otherwise we get along!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Start a fitness program, the more challenging the better. When you start thinking about food in relation to your workouts, your whole perspective shifts.

I totally agree. Once I did the C25K, it really helped get my food thoughts/cravings under control. Also, it just takes some time.