Is it bad to have too much Protein in my diet?

Options
I always manage to keep under my calorie counter however, never fails I go over on protein... Is that bad or does it not matter?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    yes, but going over the MFP limit isn't too much
  • reydar76
    reydar76 Posts: 13
    Options
    So what is acceptable? I really don't know I just know I'm usually way under my calorie intake and over on my protein...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a general suggestion. It isn't expert advice and it isn't tailored to your individual needs, so please take MFP's recommendations with a grain of salt.

That said, I really would not worry about overeating protein (unless you're doing nothing but eating buckets of cashews). Do you have a fairly balanced diet, especially when it comes to vegetables?
  • reydar76
    Options
    I try.. you can look if you want.. I just adjusted my calorie counter goal a little according to my current weight and stuff.. it says I should take in 1900 calories a day..I still don't come anywhere near that.. but I dunno really..
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So what is acceptable? I really don't know I just know I'm usually way under my calorie intake and over on my protein...

If your diet has a reasonable amount of balance and you're controlling your calories, you shouldn't worry about it.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I routinely go over on protein even when well under on calories. It's frustrating because as a former vegetarian, I eat very little meat as it is. Yesterday in fact, I had no meat at all and still went over my protein allowance. As long as you're eating healthy foods (not prepackaged or junk foods) or as a previous poster said, buckets of cashews, don't worry about it.

If it does trouble you, change your settings to allow for a little more protein.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I routinely go over on protein even when well under on calories. It's frustrating because as a former vegetarian, I eat very little meat as it is. Yesterday in fact, I had no meat at all and still went over my protein allowance. As long as you're eating healthy foods (not prepackaged or junk foods) or as a previous poster said, buckets of cashews, don't worry about it.

If it does trouble you, change your settings to allow for a little more protein.

I've found that MFP vastly underestimates the amount of protein people need/use... If it's at all possible, I would suggest to anyone to talk to a nutritionist (even once) first to get a ballpark for macronutrient goals, and then adjust their MFP goals accordingly. There is definitely no one-size-fits-all!
  • reydar76
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! :D I'm new to all this but I'm super excited about losing weight and I'm NOT quiting! I am really working hard to eat right and incorporate exercise into everything I do... I appreciate everyones input :D THANKS!!!