One of my fav breakfasts! 111 calories

Options
Meganalva
Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
http://everydaymama22.blogspot.com/2012/03/delicious-healthy-low-cal-breakfast.html

You'll need...

3 egg whites
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms, broken up into smaller pieces
Small handful of fresh spinach leaves
2-3 Tbsp of diced onion (I use the Birds Eye frozen chopped onion, so much easier! lol)
Small slice of muenster cheese (I used Sara Lee custom slices) or whatever you like(optional)
Olive oil cooking spray

I should have taken pictures while I cooked this but it's difficult when there's usually an 8 month old sitting on my hip at all times :P

First off, I spray some cooking spray in a small pan and warm it up for about 5 minutes, then throw in the onion and mushrooms and let it simmer for 5-7 mins or until the onions are soft. Then I put in the spinach and cook until they start to wilt.
Remove the veggies from the pan and set on a plate.
Spray a tiny bit more cooking spray if necessary and add the egg whites. Dont flip or mess with them, just leave them until they are pretty well cooked on the bottom, then lift up one side and tilt the pan so the runny part on top goes underneath. Continue this and cook until the top is thoroughly cooked.
This is when I add the cheese. Could probably cut down the cals & fat even more if I left it off but I have a major love for cheese so it's necessary. I used muenster cheese and it's delicious!
Put veggie mixture on top of cheese and fold egg in half still in pan. Let sit on low a couple minutes until cheese melts.

Delicious goodness.

And all of this for the specific ingredients I used is 111 calories! Keeps me full all morning!

Hope you enjoy! Give me some feedback if you try it out!

(I have no idea how to add pics, you'll have to go to the link at the top to see it, lol)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    YUM! Omelets are my go to food when I'm hungry and have little calories, any time of day. :drinker:
  • joyspear
    joyspear Posts: 20
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sounds wonderful I can't wait to try. I am getting tired of oatmeal.:flowerforyou:
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I'm having an Omelette, I tend to use one egg yolk for flavor and to keep my calories on the low side. I don't think I could eat a breakfast that is too low, especially at 111kcal lol. I would still be hungry. I usually have peppers, onions, mushrooms and quorn sausage. I use Skimmed Milk in the eggs to make them nice and fluffy. I also use spray oil. 1/4 tin of Sugar and Salt Reduced Heinz Baked Beans.

This usually comes to about 270 to 280kcal.

Lately though I've just been making Scrambled Egg with chopped peppers in the microwave, fry a bit of quorn sausage in the pan and either 1/4 baked beans or a slice of wholemeal bread.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    thank so much for posting! sounds yummy I will have to try it out!:)
  • Meganalva
    Options
    If I'm having an Omelette, I tend to use one egg yolk for flavor and to keep my calories on the low side. I don't think I could eat a breakfast that is too low, especially at 111kcal lol. I would still be hungry. I usually have peppers, onions, mushrooms and quorn sausage. I use Skimmed Milk in the eggs to make them nice and fluffy. I also use spray oil. 1/4 tin of Sugar and Salt Reduced Heinz Baked Beans.

This usually comes to about 270 to 280kcal.

Lately though I've just been making Scrambled Egg with chopped peppers in the microwave, fry a bit of quorn sausage in the pan and either 1/4 baked beans or a slice of wholemeal bread.

Oh really? This one keeps me full very well. Sometimes I'll have a small snack before lunch but I'm usually not very hungry. Your omelette creation sounds delicious too :)
  • Meganalva
    Options
    bump
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    sounds better than my normal 1/2 eggwhites with 1/4cup reduced fat mozzerella. I will try to add some mushrooms.
  • Deletrius
    Deletrius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds super good, can't wait to make it!
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had a similar breakfast this morning! I usually do 1 egg 2 egg whites with sauteed spinach,mushroom, garlic and sliced turkey. Mine was more cals... but I was pushing for high protein and a great breakfast for after my workout. Usually if I add cheese I do parmesan or mozz.

Your recipe sounds great, I will definitely have to try it your way!
  • malindaja
    malindaja Posts: 29
    Options
    wish i liked mushrooms
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    I love making omelets too I use 1/4 all natural egg whites green peppers,onions,brocolli and a dash of hot sause with 2 Tbls of cheese then I top it with a tbls of salsa...it has a little kick...it is amazing and right at 100 cal. . I make these for the entire family and they love them. Funny thing I am making the same meals for them as I am making for myself and they have yet to dislike anything. YEAH I got my whole family on a healthy diet :)
    :happy: :laugh:
  • Meganalva
    Options
    bump so others can see :)