I'm entering race for life !! 5K!

Options
Okay so i've never ran in my life other than running for a bus i was too let to hop on! My friend has decided to enter race for life and asked me if i'd like to join, i've always wanted to do something like this and it gives me a fitness goal to work towards! So, i said yes! Now, i'm terrified that it's going to come along in june and i'm not going to be able to finish the 5k. I know you can walk it or jog it but i really want to run it , it's just a goal that I've set myself now and if i don't do it I'll be disappointed!

since I'm a newbie runner , is there anything i need to know or anything i can do to train myself for this 5k?! Any tips?

Replies

• Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k - most definitely. Download it on your phone and follow the programme. In 9 weeks you'll be doing this no worries!
  • lally100
    lally100 Posts: 17
    Options
    My phone doesn't support such apps! It's a really old phone!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My friend (and boss) told me we're running a 5k at the end of April...I gotta get myself on the treadmill lol.
  • Cholbrook008
    Cholbrook008 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can Google C5K, and there are alot of different programs you can use. I just started this the other day and I am going to try my first 5K at the end of April. First make sure you purchase a good pair of running shoes.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Get a new phone! :laugh:

No only joking. Just google for the couch to 5k schedule, I'm sure it must be online somewhere. It's basically a slowbuild-up which will get you running longer and longer in a matter of 9 weeks, walking-running-walking-running en every week you increase the running.
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    You can find the c25k program online :). I'm working towards the race for life this year too, I'm really excited to have something to work towards that isn't focussing on my weight. I've had to order specially made running shoes because of my flat feet, but it'll be so worth it not to be in agony after 10 seconds. Good luck!
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Head on over to the C25k group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    Loads of information and support there.
    Do you have an mp3 player?
    I downloaded the NHS C25k plan from here--> http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Hope that's of some help.
    So far I've completed 6 RFL dating back to 2001, I really recommend then as they are a brilliant event.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well for you.
  • mcastgirlnc
    mcastgirlnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started with something similar to this http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Best advice I was ever given?

* Get fitted for your sneakers. I ran in the wrong sneakers for two months and the shin splints were awful! a good pair will run about $100 or you can find an older model for about $85.

* Start slow and don't feel bad about repeating weeks, I think I repeated week 7 three times.

* Look for running clubs in your area, this has been my biggest find! I run three times a week with a running club and the friendships I have developed and the advice I have been given has been priceless. It also helps to run with others who are a little bit faster than you are, you don't realize it when you're running at their pace :)

* It's ok if you become addicted to running, it's the best addiction in the world lol
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Follow a good schedule and just have fun! Bring some good tunes to listen to!
  • frogman4591
    frogman4591 Posts: 135
    Options
    Check out www.c25k.com.
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    I am 48 years old and never ran. I signed up for three 5k's to keep me motivated. It was and is the same course in January, February and the last one is in March. Each month you got to see how you progressed. I went on line and got the work out for couch to 5K. It really does help, even if you do not get in all of the weeks in before your run, you will be glad you did a 5K. So what if if walk some, you can do it!!!
  • lally100
    lally100 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Really looking into the C25K , i've attempted it once of twice a while ago but totally forgot that the programme exists! I'll try harder this time!