Protien powder/ shakes???

Options
OK so I've been reading a bit about the use of protien drinks before and after work outs, but the more I read the more confused I become about per centage of protien, carbs, calories etc.

My goal is weight loss and I think I'm doing pretty alright my self so far just sticking to diet and exercise but now thinking about introducing a protien drink before or after a work out...or both?

I'm confused so if anyone has any advice on what I should be looking for, best products, how you use it, has it actuallly helped you with weight loss??? then I would be most gratefully for your help! =)

Kirsty!,

Replies

• DC0hen
    DC0hen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Currently I am using GNC AMP Whey Protein after workouts.

It works great and is a good supplement.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I stick with carbs before a workout but I have a protien shake within 20-30 minutes after work out to help "repair' your muscles. I workout after work... and drink one of the following if I feel hungry...

I use Tera's Whey - I love the acai berry one.... 2 scoops in 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk.

Keeps me from "snacking" while making dinner - so yes it has helped with weight loss becuase i am not "grazing"
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I will have a Dynamitze whey protein shake in the mornings. It is tasty, and a good source of protein. The protein shake aisle can get pretty confusing. There are meal replacement shakes, shakes for pre- or post-workout, etc. I suggest going to a supplement store where you can get some help in choosing the shake that is best for your purpose.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. I was there not too long ago. Thanks to the help of my MFP friends I am beginning to understand it all. I am in to lose weight as well but to also gain muscle tone. I use the Whey Protein after my workout(s). I usually blend yogurt (flavor of choice), almond milk (unsweetened), whey protein, and sometimes fresh berries. It is absolutely wonderful. Not only does the protein help keep you full, but it really helps repair your muscles. When losing weight we tend to lose muscle along with fat, so one has to caution themselves and protect your muscles. The smoothies I make are around 200 calories with 26g of protein. It has been drilled in my head the muscle burns fat at a faster rate. It has worked for me. Good luck on your journey. Try the search option for smoothies recipes. There are a bunch out there.
    Sherre
  • gymmouse83
    Options
    Thanks guys, you have all given me something to go and check out now...I was just getting so confused! lol
  • mjacqu8
    mjacqu8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Herbalife Shakes and what do you think?
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started working out 1month and 13days ago. In my first month of working out I lost 5lbs. so from 140 down to 135.
    THEN I read about ppl taking whey protein powder so I bought some and used it in smoothies for a whole wk after workouts.
    After a wk of using it, no joke I gained back those 5lbs. and back to 140 again. BUT I know its that my fat turned to muscle cuz I was weight training too. But for now I stopped taking it till I loose more fat then I will use it again :) still kinda confused on it as well.
  • gymmouse83
    Options
    To be honest it scares me a little cause I've never been one for supplements or anything so I'm worried that I'd be putting something into my body it might not necessrily need...does that make sense or am I just being a big scaredy cat? haha However the stuff I have read says it can improve the speed of weight loss/ gain (which ever you want it to do) if taken in between meals/ workouts but again their is a lot of conflicting info out there....hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm confused.com!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really need to start using protein shakes for those u never moments when u cant get a meal in,,,,,need to research which ones are good...
  • Kimmerne
    Kimmerne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was reading soy shakes are better for weman than whey, does any one know any thing about this?
  • bbroecker
    Options
    Chocolate Milk is now being described as the perfect recovery drink. What's not to like?

<a href="http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/">Fitness Magazine</a>
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i take all my protein/ suppliment questions to the team at flush fitness.
    my other go to is a person who i refer to as googlechrisD cause he knows heaps and every one asks him instead of googling(:
  • TerriLee321
    Options
    Hi & I'm also doing the shakes. Protein shake after working out (within 30 minutes for best recovery absorption). And if I do one for breakfast I'll have one that includes just a bit more carbs & fiber also, but that is by choice. And yes, lowfat chocolate milk is great in those 30 minutes after your workout. I have mine ready in my fridge for after my drive home from the gym.
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Whey Protein promotes lean muscle. Lean muscle burns a ****-ton of calories. (Can I say that word?) Burning a "beep" ton of calories equals weight-loss.
    I use GNC Amp Whey as well, and I take it after EVERY workout. If I'm low on calories, I may have a protein shake as a snack. I definitely recommend it.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a supplement that aids you in your goal. You use it to fit into your macros/caloric intake if you don't have time for real food. I consider it a 2 minute meal packed with essential protein and aminos at low caloric value.

There are many kinds of protein powders out there for various peoples goals ie. mass gain, lean mass gain, meal replacement etc. Make sure you get the right one for your particular goal.

I use protein shakes for hitting my daily macros since I don't have time during the weekdays to eat my alotted calories and hit my macros. Bottom line its always going to be Calories in vs Calories out.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean 25 Protein Powder. Since I started using them, I have lost 19lbs since Feb 7th. I have 2-3 shakes a day, and they really curb my appetite and give me energy.

I have done light weight training and light/moderate walking as exercise.

They have Banana, Mixed Berry, Rich Chocolate, Vanilla Bean, Cookies and Cream, and Peanut Butter Chocolate.

I mix Vanilla Bean and Swiss Chocolate and it tastes AMAZING! Only flavor I did not care for was banana, too sweet.

Friend me and see my diary for yourself, I stand by these Lean Shakes. I buy them during Gold Card Week and save a ton! Works out to be less than $1.70/shake.

P.S. I only use water to mix with the protein powder. I have been known to use unsweetened almond milk when its available.

Nutritional Facts:

Serving Size 2 Scoops
    Servings Per Container 16

Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 200.00

Calories from Fat 30.00

Total Fat 3.00 g 5%

Saturated Fat 1.50 g 8%

Cholesterol 60.00 mg 20%

Sodium 280.00 mg 12%

Potassium 480.00 mg 14%

Total Carbohydrate 17.00 g 6%

Dietary Fiber 8.00 g 32%

Soluble Fiber 5.00 g

Sugars 4.00 g

Protein 25.00 g 0%
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

I use the same- GNC Amplified AMP 60 X Whey. 3 scoops is 285 calories (really good amount), 60 grams of protein, very low carbs, and 1.5 grams of fat. i use it after workouts and generally drink 2-3 scoops. i use it sometimes as a supplement too if my protein just isn't high enough and in those cases i generally use 2 scoops because i don't like to waste it unless i have worked out hard! with a GNC Gold Membership card, it is around $45-$57 for 3 lbs (A LOT). Without the card it is around $70. Also, i use GNC Wellbeing Be- Buff Whey and Fiber Complex mix. This is 100 calories per scoop, 15 grams of protein, and 1.5 grams fat. i take this one in the morning as a high-protein snack/supplement and it helps me stay full longer.

in regards to putting into your body what it might not need- the key is to do your research. things like whey protein isolate are actually really good for you. it's one of the best types of protein you can get. on the other hand, sometimes too much soy protein is not beneficial for women. i haven't done much research into it but definitely look up effects of a lot of soy in a diet. i recommend QUALITY whey protein any day.

Also, if you're going to invest in shakes, don't go cheap. i tried that! i bought Jillian Michaels whey protein for $11- it SUCKED and doesn't have even CLOSE to what the others do and i paid a total of $65 for a 1-2 month supply of the powders i need. it's a good buy and i highly recommend GNC for shopping. trying going to gnc.com

hope this helped a little! :flowerforyou: