I am not depressed, I am [fill in the blank]

Options
If being depressed is a state where you are more "blue" than your circumstances would warrant, what do you call being "blue" when your "blueness" is a pretty logical response to the situation and events in your life?

So if I am not depressed, then what I am?

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    A realist.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    In need of hope! Do you have it?
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would still call it depression... your sad about or with your circumstances...
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There will always be letdowns and bad circumstances, sometimes less and sometimes more. I don't say that to trivialize it or to minimize what you may be going through. The issue is whether we know how to deal with them, I guess.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously depressed, get help. That being said.

I always say that if you are single or married, fat or skinny, tall or short, rich or poor you will have good days and bad days. It seems to be a fact of life. If you have specific concerns that are causing you to feel down, action is the best advice. Indecision magnifies any bad situation.

When I fell down for no apparent reason, I try to get the blood flowing, not necessarily "exercise" but a walk or a physical task. Usually I feel better after. Although, sometimes that down feeling is simply feeling lonely. Get around people, at worst it usually distracts me from the down feelings until I feel a bit better.
  • ckatastrophy
    ckatastrophy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Human.

You've been through quite bit this last year & the beginning of this one. I think you're entitled to feeling a bit off or even blue at the moment. Take care, my friend, & you are in my thoughts & prayers always. :flowerforyou:
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    struggling over a minor road block. You'll get over it. What I do when this happens (and this can be pretty frequent lately) is just take a step back reevaluate my goals and start back off again with a clearer positive picture in my head

If you are seriously depressed though, as said, please go get help.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Cynical and a smug *kitten*.

EDIT: Oh wait!! Totally thought this was filling in the blank for ourselves. ^^That's what I am. ;p
    As far as your situation goes, try and look for the physical responses compared to the emotional responses.
    Energy change/shifts? physical apathy? etc.

As for me, if the thought "i am depressed/sad" pops in my head more than once over a three week span, I know my answer.
    Reaching out to someone you love and trust could help in many ways if your not sure what to do.

All the best to you! :)<3
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Entitled to feel down if the circumstances warrant it. It's normal to feel a wide range of emotions.
    Just be ready to see the bright side when in peeps through.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    introspective
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In the dumps? I felt that way while I was sick, just generally disgruntled. I completely knew it was a result of being worn out and ill, but I still felt "in the dumps". I knew it would end when I kickstarted back, so there was an end in sight to it. Sometimes frustrated also applies when life situations come up. Reach out to your friends and loved ones for support and take good care of yourself.
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have used "in the s**t" and have received general understanding.

In nicer company "These last few months have been rather difficult."
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    A realist.

So true... although I am an escapist... Both could be construed as depression!
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    Depression for me is not feeling down or blue, it is the utter futility of doing anything, whats the point? When you cannot see anyway out of the chasm you are in. There is no one who can help you out of that. You feel utterly unreachable, you feel like you have descended into a huge yawning dark abyss, were you can still see those above in the bright sunshine, smiling, enjoying themselves, but no helping hand reaches down to help you out of it. Isolation. You feel apart, like the only man who can see in a huge party of the blind.

What do you do when you stop wanting "more" What could possibly motivate you to get out bed? When you realise that striving for material wealth is futile, it brings no happiness, how can it bring anything other than a quick rush, but the novelty will and always does wear off.

its different to feeling pissed off with something, just empty.

Just make the best of things

Must stop listening to Ian Curtis (Joy Division) :)