Is too much Protein Really bad?

Options
Just curious. On most days I'm over on my protein. I never knew that protein was something that needed to be counted I always thought that protein was good for you especially when losing weight (it helps to keep you full/satisfied longer then carbs). Can you really eat to much protein? And is it bad for you?

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    What excess are we talking about ?

edit : I just looked at your diary - you hit around 185-190 grams of proteins per day.
    Pros : You won't suffer from proteins defficiencies
    Cons : the protein "weights" the same as carbs - meaning extra proteins intakes will be stored as fat.
    Cons : Given that intakes, I'd say you *may* eventually have proteinuria if you either don't eat enough alkaline foods (http://www.energiseforlife.com/list-of-acid-alkaline-foods) and/ or enough water
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein! Unless you have a medical condition that dictates otherwise (like kidney problems). MFP sets the % of protein way too low, in my opinion. Better to aim for at least 30%. My doctor wants me getting 90 grams a day. Some people say to aim for your lean body mass as grams of protein. Depends on your goals!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you have kidney problems, you can get too much protein. Also, if it keeps you from getting all the vitamins and minerals you need for proper nutrition, it's also too much. Whether you eat too much of a specific macro or not is not just a matter of whether that specific macro is bad for you, as there really is no specific upper limit to any of them, as long as you get the appropriate amounts of overall nutrition.
  • StephySands
    Options
    I go over anywhere from 20 grams to 120 grams that's approximate. I just went back in my food diary a couple of weeks to see.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Cons : the protein "weights" the same as carbs - meaning extra proteins intakes will be stored as fat.

I have seen this mentioned a few times recently, is this still an issue when in a caloric deficit?

wow it sounds like a dumb question even as I type it out.

But seriously. if your getting your required protein, fats and some carbs, does it really matter if you choose to go way over on one macro like protein to complete your caloric needs?
  • ANMUR43
    ANMUR43 Posts: 20
    Options
    My protein is always higher than the set point in the system. I drink lots of fluids to keep my system clean too though.
    I also eat less fat and carbs usually, than the system has as a set point. I feel really good, and am losing weight gradually, as is healthy. I went over my food plan with my doctor, and she said it was a very healthy one. She was very impressed with my success, and my knee thanks me daily!
  • MrsTWard
    MrsTWard Posts: 62 Member
    Options

edit : I just looked at your diary - you hit around 185-190 grams of proteins per day.
    Cons : Given that intakes, I'd say you *may* eventually have proteinuria if you either don't eat enough alkaline foods (http://www.energiseforlife.com/list-of-acid-alkaline-foods) and/ or enough water

Great post! I was wondering the same thing. Can you check my diary please & let me know if I fall in the same catergory? I would really appreciate it.
  • StephySands
    Options

WOW!!! This is interesting! And scary too :sad:
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you are overshooting what MPF set for you, you are fine, unless as previously stated you have kidney problems and then you should be under the guidance of a doctor.

I bumped up my protein goals on MPF manually as the program I have used for my weight loss calls for 30 - 40% protein. I have found that those levels work well for me.
  • trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    To much of anything is no good.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist but I'd say if some days you're as low as 20g and other days you are spiking over 100g you should still be fine. If you were constantly in the upper 100s, that's probably a bit excessive. Not really because of the excess of protein but also because the more protein you eat, the less of the other macros you eat - carbs and fat. And while carbs aren't fully necessary for survival, fats certainly are.

It's not only kidney diseases that sometimes indicate the need for lower protein, there are a ton of other medical conditions that benefit from lower protein diets too - certain cancers, certain liver diseases, hepatitis etc.

But if you're healthy and your metabolism is normal, then yeah, protein is probably the macro that you can worry least about going over on. Going over on fats is worse - especially saturated - solid study links to health issues there (and don't ever eat trans fats). going over on refined carbs is probably the worst for you - plenty of evidence linking that to western diseases.
  • StephySands
    Options

Very helpful.........Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    NOTHING WRONG WITH TOO MUCH PROTEIN

funny-mens-pants-4.jpg
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

Great post! I was wondering the same thing. Can you check my diary please & let me know if I fall in the same catergory? I would really appreciate it.

Looks like you have goals set up around 45% carbs, 45% proteins, 10% fat, which is not good at all.
    Not to mention your 1200 calories - give the exercice you are doing (burning around 1000 calories in average per session), your age (I don't know neither your height, nor you weight, but given the shape of your face, not that much), I guess your TDEE more around 1700-1900 than 1200.
  • crp211
    crp211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out this link on protein -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-kidneys/#axzz1odQGvhBk

Good fats and protein amounts should be higher that what MFP recommends.......Go Primal!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

I have seen this mentioned a few times recently, is this still an issue when in a caloric deficit?

But seriously. if your getting your required protein, fats and some carbs, does it really matter if you choose to go way over on one macro like protein to complete your caloric needs?

Protein will be broken down before carbs and sugars for energy use.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Protein will be broken down before carbs and sugars for energy use.

Ummm.... WHAT? Not even close to true at all. The entire biological purpose for carbohydrates and sugar especially is to be burned for energy. Then fat. Protein is only burned for energy as an absolute last resort, when the body has no other possible energy source to draw from. It's incredibly inefficient to burn as energy, and only happens after everything else is gone.

Protein has about a million different uses in the human body before it would even be considered for energy burning.