Any tips on getting food intake under control??

Options
I am looking for any tips or suggestions on getting my eating under control. I joined a gym at the end of November, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I actually enjoying going and enjoy working out. However, I feel like I still eat whatever I want during the day. I know I should be making better food choices, and it doesn't stop me from picking unhealthy foods. I wish I could get myself into the same mindset with eating/food choices as I have with exercising. I wish I wanted to pick up a piece of fruit instead of chips or cookies.

Any tips??

Replies

• three36love
    three36love Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My tip is to FORCE yourself to eat right for a week or two. Yes, you'll suffer and yes it'll suck, but I swear after I made myself eat healthy, it's like it triggered a change in my brain and now I can easily eat healthy.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What worked for me:
    Stop buying the chips and cookies, and only buy healthy items. My pantry used to be filled with crap, and now I only eat produce and "real" foods, not as much crap as I used to eat. And with that change came the loss in weight.

I know that I won't have great willpower if i get cravings, so I just don't present myself the opportunity to eat them. I have to go out of my way if i want to eat unhealthy.
  • Hatedabears
    Hatedabears Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am starting to find out that if i restrict myself from foods that I like eventually I will lose the battle and yo-yo back up in weight. Eat the foods you like just eat less of them. If I eat half a burger and toss the rest right in the garbage i was able to enjoy it but not gain from it. the garbage was ket as i will not take it out of the trash Like George Constanza would. Log everything honestly and see how much you are really consuming. It can be eye opening.
  • niklynne
    niklynne Posts: 12
    Options
    have easy access to the good food choices, and pre- portion control them! So prewash and fruits and vegetables when you buy them. Put them in bowls or towards the front of the fridge or pantry! And I swear, putting them in pretty bowls in the fridge or the pantry helps. I don't know why... but it does (psychologically more appealing I suppose). And foods that I can pre-portion I will put in snack bags and have them out.

AND if you do have unhealthy choices that are tempting you... put them out of reach and out of site!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bring bags of cut up veggies and fruit. If you don't eat them, then it's just wasting money.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Buy your snacks in those 100 calorie portions...that way, at least when you indulge, you won't be kiiling your calories for the whole day!
  • sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My tip is to FORCE yourself to eat right for a week or two. Yes, you'll suffer and yes it'll suck, but I swear after I made myself eat healthy, it's like it triggered a change in my brain and now I can easily eat healthy.

This!

I feel the same - though it's only been one week for me, but I lost albs in that first week and I feel good about things! It's motivated me and I like experimenting with different vegetable/meat recipes etc. and finding creative ways to include good food and healthy fats!

In saying that - last night I had half an easter egg and this lunch I had the other half - but I was still under my calorie goal last night and I will be under my calorie goal today!

I do feel bad about eating the easter egg but I ate it cos my gran bought me it and I always eat the easter eggs she buys me - I've told everyone else to not buy me any!

TBH, I didn't even enjoy it as much as I used to - so things are definitely changing!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Hit your macro targets, fat, carbs, protein, create that calories deficit, lift heavy, and then eat what you want! Far more enjoyable, and far more likely to stick with it.

You dont have to eat 100% healthy to get healthier. Depends on what your goal is.
  • my2gr8boys
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate the tips & help!!!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Meal planning! I input breakfast, lunch and dinner at the beginning of the day so I know what I have left for snacks!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you are eating real, natural, homemade, non-processed foods - an abundance of vegetables and meat, less dairy, very limited amounts of grains/sugars - You will find that you are more full during/after meals, you don't crave junk food, and you have a lot more energy.

When I am able to eat like this, and am regularly active, I don't need to count calories at all.