Shirataki Noodles

Options
k8es
k8es Posts: 271 Member
I just bought some Shirataki Noodles and am so excited to try them. I have a few ideas of how to cook them, but what are your favorite Shirataki Noodle recipes???

Replies

• FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Lucky you! I always wanted to try them. How do they taste?
  • k8es
    Options
    They are a little plain, but I think that will make them pretty versatile. I played it safe and tossed them with some garlic, chicken broth and soy sauce but I can't wait to try them prepared other ways
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I use them in place of any noodle based dish.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I lfind they work better in Asian type dishes, not as a pasta with sauce. I rinse them very well, and then fry in a bpveryhot pan, then I add my stir fry ingredients, usually soy, garlice, and then everything else.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    The Hungry Girl website (www.hungry-girl.com) has tons of recipes using shiratiki noodles.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    where can I find these? Any good recipes for tofu?
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    What isle do you find them on?
  • billthekill
    Options
    Most store carries them next to tofu.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I thought they were most disgusting. They were just too gooey in my mouth. I had a major texture problem with them.

FYI: they're in the produce section. ;)
  • k8es
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be checking out the Hungry Girl website.

In my grocery store they were located in the refrigerated health food section. They are packaged in liquid and come in several different noodle sizes.
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    I rinse them 2 times then add Ponzu, garlic paste, and some red pepper flakes. I cook it until the liquid is gone and cooked into the noodles. Sooo yummy. If it still lacks flavor you can add some lime and peanuts.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    They're kind of stinky so need rinsing. They aren't bad. Also called miracle noodles.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    I regularly shop the produce section in surprised I've never seen them there. Do all groceries have them or jist ones just have an extensive organic section?
  • k8es
    Options
    I regularly shop the produce section in surprised I've never seen them there. Do all groceries have them or jist ones just have an extensive organic section?

I think they are becoming more common. I actually had to ask about them but they knew what I was talking about right away. They were just in a place that I never would have looked
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I Have a hard time finding them...But use them just as pasta.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    In Japan we would put them in hotpots. They're pretty good in kimchi base soup.
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    bump..wanna try these....
  • daverj1973
    daverj1973 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with them is the texture. Taste is bland so whatever you do to it works but the texture is very rubbery.

Stir Frying them is ok if you can really dry them up a little and get a little texture to them but even then they can still be a little rubbery/gushy.

Cant complain all that much though because the calorie difference between them and real pasta is simply rediculous. Its definatley the best substitue per value that you can get but you certainly wont eat it and simply just forget about the real thing.
  • dianerml
    dianerml Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My regular grocery store doesn't carry them but Wholefoods does.
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There was a topic last week for a "169 calorie" big bowl of noodles that included Shirataki. It looked good