Ummm - how are Burpees not in the database?

Options
I just added them in but I think I put in the wrong caloric burn for them - a minute should probably burn more than 10 calories, I am assuming - so if someone could add them in with a more accurate burn, that would be awesome!!! Thanks!

Replies

• thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What's a burpee?
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I wear my HRM and log them as circuit training with a manual calorie input. I burn around 8 calories a minute according to my HRM, I'm 5'7 147 lbs and pretty fit. The more fit you are, the less calories you burn when you exercise.. Depending on your stats you may have burned more than 10 calories a minute. I would definitely recommend a HRM if you don't have one. They're not completely accurate, but much more so than MFP estimates, usually.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Because burpees are not exercise...they are TORTURE!!!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    What even is that??
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    What's a burpee?

It's the best and worst exercise ever.

The burn would differ from person to person. 10 would be fairly accurate for me because when I'm working at 110% intensity, I'm burning about 100 calories every 10 minutes.
  • chipvb
    chipvb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahh Burpee's....
    Love to hate them :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Because there's no real way to tell how hard you worked your body by saying you did a strength exercise (which is what burpees essentially are - complex motion core strength training) when you base your calories burned simply on duration.

For all else being equal - gender, height, weight, etc. - two people could do one minute of burpees. One person does 5 in that time, the other person does 10. The person that did 10 does much more work than the person that did 5. But....if a generic estimator is used, both put in "1 minute of burpess" and both show the same calories burned.

This is why you see eleventy different categories for running based on pace is the exercise database. If two people, again, identical in every way, both run for an hour, one runs at 12 minutes per mile and you the other at 10 minutes per mile, the second person did more work.

I agree with kateroot and do the same thing. I wear my HRM when I do my strength circuit and when I go to boot camp. It's really the only way to know how hard you worked your body on a given workout.
  • Joana_R
    Joana_R Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfNA_lmkHM
    These are burpees. It's torture indeed, I have a hate/ love relationship with them.
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I agree!! Burpees are the devil's exercise along with Jacob's Ladder!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yup yup... Instrument of Satan.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Burpees make me want to punch a kitten in the throat.

I mean, I'd never actually do that, but I'm so angry when I do them that I feel like I could.

Real talk, they're the best work out of all time. OF ALL TIME (sorry, had a Kanye moment).
  • lavlei
    lavlei Posts: 26
    Options
    burpees...ick
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and log them as circuit training with a manual calorie input. I burn around 8 calories a minute according to my HRM, I'm 5'7 147 lbs and pretty fit. The more fit you are, the less calories you burn when you exercise.. Depending on your stats you may have burned more than 10 calories a minute. I would definitely recommend a HRM if you don't have one. They're not completely accurate, but much more so than MFP estimates, usually.

I have a HRM.... I am training for a marathon, lift several times a week, teach Zumba, hike, etc - I am always moving..... and it takes a lot to get my HR up - so I am going to assume then I am around that much after all! Thanks!

I will be honest - ever since I have focused on my Garmin, my HRM has fallen by the wayside!!! LOL
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ( <
    Fitness geek. I love Burpees!!!! LOL)

I never thought of wearing my HRM when I strength train! I compartmentalize my goals, I guess. But that is a good idea!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    10 calories a minute is actually a pretty good estimate. The problem is for someone who is 200 pounds they will burn substantially more based on the same number of burpees as a person who is 150 simply because they are lifting 50 more pounds every repetition. As I said, 10/minute is probably pretty close. I would say logging them, if you don't have a HRM, would be "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort" if you are doing them as fast as you can with good form.
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Oh YES!!!!
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this!

I HATE BURPEES
  • blowsfire
    blowsfire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    burpees. sniff sniff
  • mdkc1986
    Options
    I like burpees, so I would really like to know about the caloric burn. I am 120 pounds and I have just started doing them so I can only do 3 or 4 at once. I am 5'4. How do you calculate this?
  • sotermarler
    sotermarler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Burpees stink! Worst exercise ever! We just did the 7 minute WOD at Crossfit today...complete torture. I agree however I'd like to see these in the database.
    :smile:
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see all CrossFit wods in the database.