Oatmeal recipes, anyone?

Options
gooiyw
gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
So I've noticed many, many members and MFP friends start off their day with some sort of oatmeal porridge. I know its merits, but my limited experience with oatmeal (One time only. My mom cooked it in water and added a pinch of sugar and served the blob of gooey ewwness... for the record, that is NOT the way to introduce food to a child), I wasn't particularly fond of it. But like all things edible, I'm pretty sure there're great ways that oatmeal can be made delicious. Otherwise, you won't be eating it everyday. So, some preparation ideas please! (Not the cookies and pancakes, the porridge if possible) Then I'm off to the grocery shop to get my first bag of horse-chow. :bigsmile: No offense.

Replies

• HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Every night during the week I make a pot of oatmeal.

1/2 Cup Steel Cut Oats
    Slightly less then 2 cups of Water
    pinch of salt
    1/4 cup of raisins
    a shake of cinnamon
    Cook for an hour on the lowest setting my range allows covered.
    Then add 1/2 cup of low sugar vanilla soy milk.
    Put in fridge, eat as a cold porridge in the morning. Or heat up in the microwave.

About 500 calories, which is 1/4 of my personal intake of the day.
  • gooiyw
    Options
    Sounds better than mom's. Thanks!
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mix 1/4 cup dry oats with 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup light milk, leave for 15 minutes then cook very slowly say simmering, whilst stiring to avoid the milk burning on the bottom of the pan or in the microwave for 3 minutes in a very large glass bowl as it does bubble up quite a bit and serve, I have mine with maple syrup, cranberreis and raisins, yum yum yum
  • gooiyw
    Options
    That does sound yum. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I make steel cuts oats but only cook for 15 minutes so they are not mushy. When I eat them I add 1 tb of peanut butter and a little Splenda. Or peanut butter and a few drop of dark chocolate syrup. Or fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries. Or strawberries with a little chocolate syrup. You get my point, the possibilities are endless. Even a little vanilla syrup like the kind for coffee is good.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Proatmeal- prepare oatmeal using less water than normal. When done, add chocolate whey (1 or 2 scoops- I do 2) and almond butter. It keeps you full for a LOOONNGG time!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I also champion the cause for steel cut oats. Rolled oats (the cardboard can of flakes) are the oat kernel steamed and rolled flat. It's not a great deal of processing, but why cook the oats twice? Steel cut oats are just the oat kernel cut in half, which is why they take a lot longer to cook than the rolled flakes.

Steel cut oats, cooked in water 13-14 minutes so they still have plenty of chewy texture (not a blob of glue)
    1 1/2 tsp light brown sugar or 2 tsp agave syrup.
    ~1/8 cup dried cranberries (15-20 grams weighed)
    dusting of good cinnamon
  • gooiyw
    Options
    I can't wait to try. Thanks, everyone!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    50g Steel cut oat
    250-300ml skim milk/water mixed (I do about half half, but the less milk you use then the fewer calories)
    Cinnamon
    Honey/Maple syrup

I usually start making this in the morning, ready for the next day. Soak the oats in the milk/water in the morning. Cover and place in a cool dry place. In the evening put on the hob and slowly bring to the boil, stirring gently. Once it starts boiling a bit, turn the heat right down and simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring gently. Take off the heat, cover and leave till the next morning. When you look at it next morning, if it's too thick, add a bit of milk and heat slowly for 5-10 minutes remembering to stir.

At this point it's ready to eat. You can add just about anything to it that takes your fancy. Remember to start the next days bowl off at this point as well :smile:

Brown Sugar
    Maple Syrup
    Honey
    Sweetener
    Cinnamon
    Banana
    Strawberry
    Blueberries
    Dried Cranberries
    Chocolate chips (I like the 70% cocoa ones)
    Nuts - Almonds, Hazelnuts etc etc
    Peanut Butter
    Flavoured Syrup - Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry etc etc
    Jam or Marmalade - any kind

To name but a few. Or anything else you can think of.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I make a double batch (6 servings) cooked for only 15minutes cause I like them chewy and pour into a square bread pan. When they are cool I cut them into six squares and store them in my fridge. Every morning just heat one square in the microwave for 2 minutes and you have a quick easy healthy breakfast.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    like Chris suggested, chocolatecoveredkatie has some amazing oat recipes.

I personally make an oat pancake- 40-50grams of oats, 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, quarter a chopped apple and some protein powder (optional), mixed up and left in the fridge overnight, then cooked as a big pancake in a teaspoon of coconut oil. It's my favourite thing to eat. Really.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i steep a cinnamon plum herbal tea and use that in place of water (the tea adds flavor, reserves the calories for butter and makes the kitchen smell amazing!). i use steel cut oats. i boil 2 cups of the prepared tea, add 1/2 cup oats, turn heat down to med-low (#4 on my stove) and heat for 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes. i top it off with 1/2 Tbsp clarified butter and a little pure maple syrup or stir in some cocoa powder and honey. lately we've been eating it as dinner to keep it small but filling.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    TiltingAtWindmills Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested in oatmeal breakfasts but a bit short on time to make it every day: We make crock pot oatmeal to save time in the mornings. It's so good! Recipe from this site: http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

I took the advice to use the bowl inside the crock pot, and it works well. (My "inner bowl" is a 1.5 quart Corning Ware dish because I have the lid that fits it- easy for refrigerator storage. ) I also found that 6 hours on low is perfect (our crock pot then switches to "keep warm"). We do add-ins separately so I and my husband can mix in different fruits. Store the extras in the refrigerator and carve out a portion to reheat in the microwave each morning. A touch of skim milk and maybe a few raisins or fresh fruit is yummy! (I recently read that you could portion this into silicon cupcake cups and freeze individual portions like that. I haven't tried it yet.)
  • melreesor
    Options
    Made these last night and they were great. No butter, oil, or flour and they still taste wonderful.

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup milk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 large mashed banana
    1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.

Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.

Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Cut into squares and enjoy!
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    So I've noticed many, many members and MFP friends start off their day with some sort of oatmeal porridge. I know its merits, but my limited experience with oatmeal (One time only. My mom cooked it in water and added a pinch of sugar and served the blob of gooey ewwness... for the record, that is NOT the way to introduce food to a child), I wasn't particularly fond of it. But like all things edible, I'm pretty sure there're great ways that oatmeal can be made delicious. Otherwise, you won't be eating it everyday. So, some preparation ideas please! (Not the cookies and pancakes, the porridge if possible) Then I'm off to the grocery shop to get my first bag of horse-chow. :bigsmile: No offense.
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    I am not going to lie. I had oatmeal this morning and I had to choke it down. I did make it one day and it was not so bad. I cooked it with an apple some cinn and all natural honey that I bought from a local bee keeper....it was not bad but I would not eat it more than once a week.....My husband on the other had eats it every day with Craisins in fused with blueberry juice (made by ocean spray) he loves it :/.....it is very good for you if that helps....good luck :)
  • Destinie589
    Destinie589 Posts: 211
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of sugar free powdered instant pudding mix to your bowl of oatmeal. Banana and butterscotch are my faves!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I love eating pan-seared oatmeal. Here's a recipe I use. It's pretty easy to modify to suit your needs and it's super yummy.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-seared-oatmeal-with-warm-fruit-compote-cider-syrup-10000000642369/
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    I like my oatmeal rather old school. I always undercook them slightly, I hate anything mushy. I only use old fashioned steel cut oats, never quick or instant. My favourite way to eat them is with a little bit of half and half and brown sugar.