c25k

Options
2»

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Just so no one really takes what you said to heart, muscle and fat weigh the same. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. What the difference is the amount of space they take up. The same pound of fat takes up more overall mass than a pound of muscle does. Please do not start believing muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't.

If you took a 30lb weight and a 30lb bag full of feathers, the weight would be the same, just the mass would be dramatically bigger on the bag of feathers.
    If you're gonna make that correction, don't mess up the difference between mass and volume! Fat takes up more space -- more volume (less dense) than muscle. The masses would be the same as well.

Thanks for clearing that up... I've been sick and not thinking the straightest this week. I know that lb=lb but I was referring to volume of fat verses muscle.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements!!! The scale is not the only factor, you'd be surprised at the inches you may be losing.

Yep, I lost inches long before the weight dropped. Your body is getting used to the changes and muscle weighs more than fat. Track those measurements because that is where you'll see the results the quickest - at least in my case. I've since dropped nearly 50lbs from running :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was about 50 pounds heavier when I started C25K and I did it hoping to kick start my weight loss after a plateau, but more so to say I ran a 5K. With that being said, it was at least 2-3 weeks before I started noticing anything significant on the scales or even with my body.
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm doing C25k too, on week 2, but while I'm trying to lose weight I'm not really doing C25K for weight loss, more to get me into running and fitness, so I'm still doing other exercises too.. For example yesterday I did C25k on the treadmill for 25 minutes then jumped on the cross trainer for 20... and I either go for brisk walks or other cardio exercises (or both) on days I'm not doing c25k.

Stick at it, just maybe don't use c25k to lose weight but for other, equally good, reasons :)
  • Ballybabe1
    Options
    I started c25k last november at 19stone weight ! I finished the 9 weeks of the program and I am still jogging three times a week, twice I do 3k and once i do 6k, it takes be longer than the 30 mins to get to 5k (alot longer) but I have lost 23lbs in that time and it doesnt matter what speed you do it at, the main thing is to do it and over time as the weight comes off I think it will be easier to lift the legs and make them go faster ! Good on ya, stick with it and monitor the cals here on MFP and you will succeed. Its a fantastic program to get even someone like me moving again. I hate missing my jog now, finally it comes before everything else (well almost everything). Best of luck.
  • ashcan92
    ashcan92 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've also started c25k, but I remember the directions to well and ran the times for the 3rd week instead of the first. I wasn't using it to lose weight just to gain endurance and shed some inches off my waist.

But before I hit the treadmill, I do 1 hour of group excercise (Zumba, strength training, cycling) and 30 min of some other type of cardio.

KEEP GOING GIRL!!!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has posted on here, I've just finished week one, and I did find it hard, am still a good 90lb or so over my goal weight, but I really do feel encouraged by these posts, and will be starting week 2 tomorrow :smile: