Why am I getting charliehorses? What to do?

Options
For the last two weeks, I have been getting horrible charliehorse cramps in my calves and arch of my foot. They are so painful, and often wake me up in the middle of the night. I have been working out for a year now, and I haven't started any new fitness routines recently, so I can't figure out why all of a sudden this is happening. It has been about six or seven times this week, always in the evening or at night and they doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Any suggestions about why they might be happening or what I can do to stop them? Thanks.

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The only time I got them was when I was pregnant !
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Try getting more potassium in your diet.

Another thing that seems to work, though nobody really knows why, is that you can put a bar of soap under your fitted sheet at the end of the bed. I read about this in the People's Pharmacy column in the paper. I have done it and it works.
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It may be a sign of dehydration. Do you drink enough (64 oz) of water during the day?
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eat more bananas and drink coconut milk during/after a workout. Also....don't forget to stretch!!!
  • georgedarling
    georgedarling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got them while pregnant, but I also will get them if I run too low on calcium.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Add more water and potassium. Make sure you are stretching before you exercise and after. Proper technique is important while stretching, so get help at the gym or youtube proper technique. Good luck to you.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas, drink more water, and stretch after every workout. These things will all help minimize the charlie horses. Feel better!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As others have said, replace your electrolytes. When I got cramps like that, I super hydrated the next day and drank coconut water. Totally stopped them from recurring again.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Could be water intake or a vitamin deficiency or an electrolyte issue. Cheap solution is drink more water and take a multivitamin. If that doesn't work an electtolyte supplement like NUUN could help.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Add more water and potassium. Make sure you are stretching before you exercise and after. Proper technique is important while stretching, so get help at the gym or youtube proper technique. Good luck to you.

Stretching when you're cold (i.e. before working out) is a bad idea actually. You want your body to be at least somewhat warm (like right before you break a sweat) before you stretch. Also, stretching before you work out is optional for most workouts (i.e. those that don't involve moving far outside your normal range of motion). Stretching after is far more important.

My first thought though, as other people have mentioned, is either a lack of calcium, or a lack of potassium or other electrolytes. Note that if the problem is an electrolyte imbalance, drinking more straight water is probably going to make things worse, not better.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Static stretching prior to exercise is generally thought to be a no-no
  • dianneries
    Options
    For your feet - when you go to bed, those muscles relax and give you the problem. I wear special inserts that give me lots of support in the day time so those muscles/joints don't break down. I believe there are exercises you can do in the day to help.

For the calves, immediately eat salt when it happens and stretch those muscles.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I get cramps in the arch of my foot if I wear heels after not wearing them for a while... I agree with everyone on the potassium, water and stretching. I like to use a foam roller on my legs and then roll my feet on a golf ball - sort of self massage. It may not help with cramps but feels pretty good.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i got them really bad while i was pregnant and the docs told me to eat a banana a day for the potassium, worked like a charm!!
  • EBell83
    EBell83 Posts: 18
    Options
    I got them as I was growing up nearly every night as my activity levels increased...it was awful. I started getting them again during my pregnancies as more of my vitamins went to the baby. But, if you add some more potassium in your diet (bananas are a good source, but sweet potatoes are awesome too as well as yogurt and potatoes with skin) they will drop off and eventually go away as your deficiency goes away. If you get a cramp, as an immediate solution that's worked for me is to flex your muscles in the opposite direction. Point your toes back towards your body and hold it, gently then slowly release. Hope you get rid of the charlie horses soon!
  • willismack2
    Options
    I used to wake up in the middle of the night with those terrible calf cramps. Yikes! Now I drink more water.
  • MattGetsMad
    Options

Static stretching prior to exercise is generally thought to be a no-no

Really? When you say static stretching, what do you mean? (see if you can answer before I google)
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    man, I just googled and found a lot info. I'm still reading, but thanks for the tip!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It definately isn't that I don't drink enough water. I am well over 100 oz everyday. Water is usually the only thing I drink during the day. I do take a multivitamin, but I may have to look into the calcuim and potassium issues. i just think its odd that they just started happening when I haven't really had any major changes.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Do you vary your workouts? Maybe you have a overuse issue? Just an idea.