What do you do when...

Options
You're going to a restaurant and you can't find the nutritional info online?? We're going to T-Rex Cafe with family and I can't find anything online other than the Bronto Burger is around 910 Calories. I don't know what to order. Maybe a salad with dressing on the side?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    the Bronto Burger is around 910 Calories

om-nom-nom-nom.gif
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Find a restaurant that serves a similar item to the one you want that does have nutrition information online.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Trust your instincts when you look at the menu. They probably have some sort of description for the foods, right? Sometimes salads are worse than a burger! Applebees, for instance. If you take off the dressing, you're still totaling to more calories than their burgers! Avoid fried, go for grilled. Fresh is always better. You probably have pretty good instincts by now!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If there aren't any light meals, I either have what I want or you could have a steak with a salad? I don't understand people who only eat a salad, I would most likely get hungry after just a salad... You could get plenty of protein from the steak.

You also have something from the pasta menu? Just ask them to use a tomato based sauce instead of all those sauces with cream in them. Have a soup and a sandwich or something? Make sure it isn't creamy and the sandwiches are smothered in unhealthy sauces lol.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Anything grilled, broiled, or steamed is generally a better choice than anything fried, sauteed, or breaded. If you have a side of veggies, ask for them with no butter. If you have a salad, watch out for high calorie toppings (cheese, nuts, dried fruits, bacon, etc..) in small quantities these things can make a great salad, but restaurants tend to load up on them. I'd probably avoid ANY salad dressing at a restaurant, they're all pretty bad..

Either that, or just have whatever you want and get back on track tomorrow.

Good luck! :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    On my Chinese takeout, I usually check for a recipe online, calculate that and add about 20%. One day of eating too much won't throw you off that badly, just don't make it a habit.
    And if you stay away from timmies ice cap, I think you'll find it hard to be 3500 calories over and actually not lose a pound that week...
  • JenChis22
    JenChis22 Posts: 25
    Options
    yes, go with steak, chicken or fish. Just watch out for sauces. Most places will cook a steak "clean" (free of seasoning or marinade) if you ask.
  • mrsepiphany
    mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You can also call the resturant in advance and ask them if they have it there, so you can look at it before ordering. I have done that a few times and they were able to provide me with info.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    yes, go with steak, chicken or fish. Just watch out for sauces. Most places will cook a steak "clean" (free of seasoning or marinade) if you ask.

ewww
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

ewww

I would tend to agree with this, but one of the best filets I ever had was seasoned with just salt and pepper. The quality of the cut makes all the difference.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can also call the resturant in advance and ask them if they have it there, so you can look at it before ordering. I have done that a few times and they were able to provide me with info.

I think I might try this.
    Thanks everyone!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Send the company an email. I have done this a couple times to get the nutritional info and both places have gotten back to me
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I try to estimate what's in the items I order and add it as recipe. It's more work but gives you a better idea. Watch portion sizes though usually they are 3 or 4 times what you should be having. or try looking for a similar item from another restaurant.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Send the company an email. I have done this a couple times to get the nutritional info and both places have gotten back to me

This works for me
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I find a restaurant with similar items and then I also just eat half of what is given (or eat slow, and stop when you are fulll! Not overly full, but just satisfied!)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For the Kansas City T-Rex the Jurassic Salad and the Chop Chop both look very reasonable judging by their ingredients. You can ask them to omit the candied pecans from the Chop Chop and I'm sure they have at least 1 light dressing.

The Flat Iron steak could work out OK with omitting the steak butter, mashed potatoes and asking for double veg instead. If the steak is huge you can take half home.

In these situations for counting calories I just use my best estimates on what the ingredients were and find comparable things in the database or at other restaurants with similar items that do have nutritional info.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me. Whatever you order, tell them to cook it like you want it and piece out the calories like we do when we add our own recipes on MFP.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Wow, great idea!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the menu it's hard to say. Do they have a grilled fish or chicken option? Sometimes if I just order 2-3 veggies sides and no entree when all the entree options look high calories and I'm trying to keep it healthy. I love veggies. Or maybe a rice pilaf and a couple of veggies.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at their menu. I would go with the Salmon minus the butter and ask for double order of veggies, no rice. The other option is the tilapia tacos minus the avocado cream sauce, ask for extra pico de gallo.