Protein Question and Water Question

Options
it seems like i am always under on calories, but i almost always have too much protein. is this "bad"? i like to have egg whites for breakfast. this could be a stupid question, sorry!!

also, what is the "right" ammount of water a person should drink?

thanks in advance!:smile:

Replies

• Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat. 8 cups of water is just a starting suggestion, if you work out then you should drink more because you lose sweat. i don't know about the protein though - i've been seeing that but i'm not too concerned because i've always been told protein is "good for you".
  • brainey100
    brainey100 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't think it is bad to go over on protein so long as your are not ridiculously over. I try to eat at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. There are some who disagree with that, but that is was suggested to me by people who are more knowledgable than myself. It seems to work for me. Also, some people say that extra protein is stored as fat. I am not a nutritionist or physician so I cannot argue this point, but I have always been told that your body will expel the protein that it does not absorb.

On water, I would say to drink the suggested 64 oz. as a mimimum. If you workout regularly, you should drink more. I work out pretty hard, so I usually drink close to a gallon (128 oz.), especially in the summer. Hope this helps.
  • mirandagem
    mirandagem Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

This article is exactly what you need! Annnnd, don't egg whites only have 20 calories and nothing else?
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I've never read anything to suggest that too much protein is a bad thing. I tend to go low on carbs & fat & over on protein & don't see it as a problem. I've also read that protein is really good for you if you're working out :)
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    8 - 10 8 OZ GLASSES OF WATER A DAY
    BUT I DRINK BETWEEN 25-30 GLASSES A DAY DEPENDING
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm always over on my protein and I consider it a very good thing. Infact, if i'm not over, i'm upset! And the exact amount of water you should be having is half your body weight in ounces. If you drink that though and still feel thirsty becuase of the heat, excersise, or anything else you need to listen to your body and drink more!!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is the general recommendation for everyone.
    to get a more accurate amount, take your weight, divide it in half, and drink that in ounces. for an example, if i 140 pounds, then i should drink 70 ounces of water a day, more when i exercise.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    To find out how msny protein grams your body needs you take your weight, divide it by 2.2 and then multiply it by .8.