I hate potlucks & family gatherings!!

Options
It would be so much easier to lose weight if it wasn't for potlucks and social gatherings. Sometimes I feel like I should just stop socializing all together for the next 3 months so I can really lose this weight. L-:(

Does anyone have any tips for coping with food-related social events?

I was having an okay week -- not a great week, but not gaining either. Then today I had saved up a lot of calories for this potluck I knew we'd be going to, and made a dish I knew the calories for, and figured I could find healthy stuff from the offerings. And, I did -- chicken breast, fresh veggies, a bit of salad. But then in spite of my resolve, I couldn't resist two of the desserts. Small portions, but still, it put me over my total by 100 calories (and I still feel like I could eat more now that I'm home!). It seems like once I blow it and have sweets or something high calorie, I end up craving even more.

This week we have another family event, possibly two, which will involve birthday cakes, and i'm already dreading them. How do people work around these things???

Frustrated in Cali,

Rita

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I bring my own food to potlucks or eat before I go

I say no to birthday cake

Losing weight is more important than trying to fit in with social events
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RLJAXON
    RLJAXON Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree, the socializing is tough, everything is always focused around FOOD!! I guess what we need to do is fill up on fruits and veggies, I have tried the eat before you go thing, and well, I end up eating anyway to "socialize" so I don't do myself any favors...
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Well what I try and remember is there will ALWAYS be something... so you have to try not to slip every time because it really adds up and before you know it you have another event... like you said you have 2 this week. Thats 3 in one week which can make a difference. You only went over by 100 so thats good but be careful what your going over with like the desserts and stuff. Its really good that you are aware, don't worry you will be back on the wagon tomorrow! Good luck... :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I have a large family and we've been getting together A LOT lately. I make sure i'm the last to fill my plate in hopes that some of the things are gone, and then I keep in mind to stay healthy about my options and aim more toward the things I know the calorie content of. We don't usually do it potluck style, but if that's what you're doing you can make sure your dish is something you can have and know ahead of time how much you can have. I also make sure to only stick to water, and skip out on any dessert of any kind!!!
  • kaliena22
    kaliena22 Posts: 45
    Options
    ME TOOO!!!!! Do you have the stalkers? Ones who watch everything you pot on your plate, if it is to healthy they make you feel guilty for not trying just a "bite" of everything. Or if you have something like a roll you get the "should you really be having that?" judgement! :devil: You just can't win.:sad:

My solution is the large plate of salad ( mainly lettuce) and then a picture perfect plate piled 1/2 with veggies 1/4 with a starch and 1/4 a protien. I avoid sauces and dressings (I bring my our spray butter and salad dressingeverywhere I go).

PS Try to avoid the deserts, bring a great fruit like cherries instead - keep them for yourself.... or eat a cheese stick instead. The problem with sugar is that it raises your Glycemic Index and that is why you are probabaly still craving even though you only took a little. :explode:

Family gatherings an necessary obligation that always leaves a fun after taste - like diet cola :noway: Not your first choice but no great alternatives,,, and you get used to it :laugh:
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I usually bring a sugar-free jello pudding cup and tell everyone it's my slice of birthday cake if they ask.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    These are some good suggestions. Thanks everyone.
    I think the one that wouldn't work for me is to eat before I go -- usually that strategy would backfire. I try to find a balance between making sure I'm not starving when I go, and saving up a few extra calories in case I go over my day's calories. Tough one to balance though. I am preparing myself to 'Just Say No' to birthday cake this week! Wish me luck.

Bottom line is that these events WILL definitely always be there, and I need to learn how to stay within my healthy limits at them.