C25K questions

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on NON-runners becoming runners...I ran a mile, (jogged is more accurate!), 3-4 days a week for about 3 years *back in high school for cheerleading. I was never good at it and I always struggled to catch my breath. However, I began cycling this spring and I am now interested in running. I will begin the C25K tomorrow with the help of a podcast! I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that they were never a runner and now they are and it's great..! So if that's you, I'm looking for inspiration:) Thanks!

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I had to run a 10k in one of my classes back when I was doing my BA and I was NOOOO runner AT ALL. I walked the mile in high school.

BUT.....with training (and this training pretty much took all semester) I was able to do it. I found out that I really did like running. I stopped when I got my boobs done and am looking to get back into it.

I found this training guideline online and I'm gonna give it a go to see how I do.

1. Week one: Walk for 6 minutes, then jog at an easy pace for 1 minute. Repeat 3 times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for week one.

2. Week two: Walk for 5 minutes, then jog for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.

3. Week three: Walk for 3 minutes, then jog for 4 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Aim for four sessions in week three.

4. Week four: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 5 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Shoot for four of those sessions in week four.

5. Week five: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 8 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four of those sessions in week five.

6. Week six: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 9 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Try to do four sessions for week six.

7. Week seven: Walk for 1 minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four sessions this week.

8. Week eight: Congratulations on making it to week eight! For your first run this week, try walking for 5 minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping.

Aim to run for 30 minutes four times a week, and you'll notice that your stamina and fitness will continue to improve. Soon you'll be ready to run your first 5K!
  • coachmj
    coachmj Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe there's hope for me after all!
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    Real good way to increase stamina. What a interesting way to build up & burn more cals- thanks iceprincess - will try it out.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    No problem! I think it sounds pretty manageable so I will for sure start it on Monday.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i'm on week 5 of the couch to 5k.

let me start out by saying, i'm not a runner. AT ALL. i absolutely loathe running and before i started, i could hardly jog 5 minutes without dying.

at this point, while running is not my favorite thing, i'm able to keep up with the program. every week i look that the plan, go "i'll never be able to do that" yet sure enough, i manage to do it. i doubt i'll ever like running but i keep doing it because its a fantastic exercise that burns tons of calories while working out the entire body.
  • cmoore0102
    Options
    Thanks for these suggestions. I just got a treadmill last night (yay!!) because I LOATHE running outside, mainly out of embarrassment. I got on it this morning and could barely do a mile in 12 minutes. I used to run 3 miles almost every day 2 years ago, so it was really upsetting. I'll try out these programs starting tomorrow morning! Thanks for motivation, with 60+ lbs to lose, I need every bit I can get!
  • coachmj
    Options
    Thank you for that! It really helps to hear from others who weren't runners or past-runners when they began the C25K! Running is not fun for me...although I have hopes of it becoming at least somewhat enjoyable! Thanks again for sharing!
  • EllieAmancy
    EllieAmancy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey coachmj, I started the C25K in August last year and stuck with it... Almost a year later, I'm still running, usually about 25-30 minutes, 2-3 times a week. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's harder, but I know I can do it and even if I don't feel like it when I start out, I'M ALWAYS HAPPY I DID IT when I'm done! :happy: The buzz you get from a run is so addictive! lol

And for background, I have always HATED running with a passion and I have always been HORRIBLE at it. But the C25K is so do-able, it's just great! I wholeheartedly recommend it. You will learn new things about yourself and you will have such a sense of accomplishment and pride in yourself, not to mention be healthier! GO YOU!! :flowerforyou:
  • mindi_lou
    mindi_lou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I, too, was never a runner. I did a C25K program in February. I have ran 2 5Ks since May, have one coming up on Saturday, and another one the middle of August. I was a horrible runner and when I first started I hated it. I have to say it grew on me. The weight loss probably has been helpful for sticking with it. For me, having 5k races to train for has also kept me with it. You can do it!
  • kianaj
    kianaj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion, we have a walk-to-run program in the Air Force. Same concept, but that mumbo jumbo I don't understand. Great way to break it down and it does work!!
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I, too, am a c25k graduate. I started last may (a year ago) and have successfully lost 52 pounds with running and keeping track of what I put in my mouth. I hated running but now look forward to it--and like another person said, it helps to see results. I've done a few 5ks in the past year and finished a half marathon this past May. So give it a try! I never thought I'd like it, or finish it for that matter and now I love running!!!

Good luck
  • coachmj
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! The suggestions, stories and inspirational comments are just what I need! I can't wait to start today! 1 more question: do you suggest taking a day off in between training? Thanks in advance!

:) Meg
  • coachmj
    Options
    Also wondering if anyone is starting this program today?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I plan on going to the gym and doing week 1 of the online guidelines. I'm sure that will be no problem.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner before, but I finished C25K on May 16 of this year...and I loved it. Ran my first 5K on June 28, and I am currently training for the Baltimore Half Marathon in October. I'm not very fast, and probably never will be...but that's not why I do it. I just love running for the sake of running.

I definitely recommend it to other people...even if you don't ever just love to run, that feeling of accomplishment when you finish is like a drug. :bigsmile:

Having a race to train for is a great motivation tool, so you may want to look for a 5k to run in the fall.

Good luck!
  • katkat
    katkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love your quote Run like you stole something. :smile: I have been doing a little jogging when I take my dog out for a walk daily. But we have large hills so I run on the flat parts. Still waiting for the weight to drop off!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Also curious about the 5 minute warm up when you start this program. Does the warm up count toward the 20 minutes or should you be doing the intervals for 20 minutes for a total with warm up, of 25 minutes?
  • Jodilean
    Jodilean Posts: 4
    Options
    While reading this thread I googled C25K, and decided I'm going to try it. I'm not in very good shape and have a lot of weight to lose, but even if I have to double the time the program takes, I think it will work for me. Thanks for this thread!

249242.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    so I started week two today and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for calves. I was running and they were KILLING me. They felt stiff and i couldnt even finish all 90 seconds before they were really hurting. Is it because I havent ran since Thursday of last week? Im so confused. I dont like giving up but it was really really difficult! I would love some suggestions :)
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maddie - My legs started hurting pretty bad during week 2 as well....I found that I HAVE to stretch after I am done each day....it helped a lot! One that I do that I read about is sitting down and tracing each letter of the alphabet with each foot to help stretch out your lower leg. Also, the typical calf stretches that one does help also.

I think that it hurts more for me, and is just harder in general, if I take too many days off....helps get me out there when I don't want to go :)