Realizing your weight loss (Do you see it?)

Options
I have lost 25 lbs and several clothing sizes, but I don't really see it when I look in the mirror. Yes, I can see that my face is thinner, but I am having trouble really seeing myself smaller. I almost wouldn't believe it, if not for the scale, tape measure and clothing sizes. Yesterday I had a major realization of the weight I've taken off. I have an OLD car and the buckle broke off the seat belt, so it is looped and knotted on the strap (Yes, it is safe). Well I was sitting in the car warming it up when I realized how super loose it is around my lap now. At the beginning of the year it was uncomfortable because it had gotten so very tight I almost couldn't snap it. When I see the physical things that have changed it makes me realize that the mental has not.
Do you have the same issue and how do you work through it to "really" see yourself?

Replies

• Ashbee1224
    Options
    I didnt really see it in myself until I lost around 50lbs. I was really overweight though, so the more overweight the longer it takes to see a big difference.
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know I can wear my favorite dress again, and I know my scrubs are falling off my butt, and I know I've had to buy a smaller bra but...I don't see it. It's really weird. My brain knows I've lost weight but my eyes don't see a thing! When I put my clothes on I still suck it in because I'm convinced they still don't fit.
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    The only time I see it is when I am trying on new clothes, and when I'm checking out my back muscles in the mirror after a shower(weird ...I know). And I've lost over 100 lbs. It's still funny when I bump into someone I haven't seen in years and they gasp and say "oh my goodness"!! I just stand there oblivious and say "what, do I have something on my shirt?."

I think since we see ourselves everyday we don't notice the changes. After changing your eating habits and overall lifestyle, you get so use to it, that you don't consider it as a "change" just the new reality.
  • HMFooden
    HMFooden Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree... like when i graduated college i was about 45lbs heavier than i am now, and my boyfriend always tells me how skinny i look since we met, but when i look in the mirror all i still see is the jiggle thighs and the protruding stomach. all of my friends told me i have been losing weight and that i look so skinny, and i see it in my face, but not really the rest of my body. :/ I know i have come a long way, but i think i'm still not totally happy where i am and that may be why
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I put on my old clothing. When I realize a second person could be inside that shirt and pants with me now, and there would be room enoughg for us both, it becomes obvious.

It takes awhile, but I promise, you will adjust and start to see yourself as you really are. It took me about a year to really accept it and stop looking in the plus size section first, out of habit.
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't see it until I do some before and after pictures from my journey. Then and only then do I see it. When I look in the mirror I still a 325 lb chick but now I'm 261 or will be once my monthly leaves..
  • cestout
    cestout Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds and have 30 more to go and I don't see a thing. I felt like I could tell initially becasue my face looked thinner but my clothes still fit and I still feel fat.:sad:
  • HMFooden
    HMFooden Posts: 14
    Options
    cestout just keep working at it, don't give up! nobody gets results over night! 10lbs down is amazing! small goals are better than big goals because when you mess up you'll just get frustrated... think 5 or 10lb goals and it will happen for you i promise! we're all doing this together!
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 20 pounds and I don't notice a thing. I am still wearing the same clothes I started out in, so really don't feel I look any different. Not sure when I will. I thought that I would at least drop a size by 20 pounds, but now I am starting to wonder if it will have to be more like 30. I started out at 236 and am now 216.5. I am hoping to be down at least a size before summer (early May) so I can wear some shorts I have in 16's. I have been in 18's for so long (at least 3+ years) that I am looking forward to fitting in stuff I haven't worn in a while. My goal is 130 so I sure hope I notice a change by then! LOL!

I am just hanging in there and hoping it will be soon for me to start seeing results. I may have to start taking pictures every 10 pounds or so...maybe then I will notice it. As I didn't take a picture when I started, I would have nothing to compare to now.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think since we see ourselves everyday we don't notice the changes. After changing your eating habits and overall lifestyle, you get so use to it, that you don't consider it as a "change" just the new reality.

^^^^ Pretty much this. I've lost over 140 lbs and the only time I notice is when I'm passing the mirror or buying new clothes. I slide into my size 7 jeans (down from a 28), but if I stare in the mirror to check out my outfit, the pants might as well still be 28s ... I can definitely see the difference however, when I pull out old photo albums (when I can pick my old self out). I was flipping through them the other day and thought, "Who is that rather large woman? OMG THAT WAS ME!" So I think it may also go both ways.
  • danmoffett
    danmoffett Posts: 110
    Options
    Looking back at pictures of me during the past 24 months of my weight loss journey I can't believe it.
    I've lost the equivalent of a whole person. I've lost 155 pounds. WOW!
    So you know I've noticed the changes. I FEEL GREAT! FREEDOM!

I am going to post before during and after pictures on the next update of my blog.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds and have 30 more to go and I don't see a thing. I felt like I could tell initially becasue my face looked thinner but my clothes still fit and I still feel fat.:sad:

This!! 9lbs down and i don't feel any different. Still have about 30 lbs myself.
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It seems like I can only see what's left to lose - where my body still has a bit of extra fat on it. Friends tell me they notice huge differences (especially friends I haven't seen in a few months) and my clothes definitely fit different, though I haven't gone shopping so I don't know if I've dropped a size or what.

I mostly feel the difference rather than see it. I feel my hipbones now, and there are more bones visible in my wrists and hands. Small things like that are the only thing I seem to notice, not the big picture.
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to notice it especially in my clothes. Pants are getting loose and shirts are fitting the way they should. I am taking photos to see it as well.

Co workers are starting to comment which is nice too!
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Funny you posted this because I was thinking this same thing the other day. I'm down about 32 lbs and even though I have changed pant sizes a few times, have given away clothing, bought more, see the number on the scale, see/hear everyone's reactions, it's still hard to REALLY see it! I do "kind of" see it like when I sit down, there's less tummy. Here's my realization: I think, for the most of us, our figure is still kind of the same.... just smaller. For example, I have an hour glass figure... big boobs, big but, thighs and butt but a small waist. I had this figure when I was overweight and I still do! So even though my boobs, butt and thighs are smaller, my overall figure has still stayed the same and my eyes still go straight to my "problem" areas when I look in the mirror. HOWEVER, seeing a photo of yourself now (instead of just looking in the mirror) helps me see the weight loss better!!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    I WISH I SAW WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!!! Not bragging but I honestly have been getting a ton of compliments especially over the past 2 weeks. Since January 3rd I am down 20lbs and 17.75 inches!! YAY!!! So I know the scale, tape measure, and many people in my life can't be lying but I just don't REALLY see it! I want to walk in the bathroom see myself in the mirror and be like DAMN you look good! Now I kind of just still see frumpy. NOT giving up!! Hopefully soon!! We have to love ourselves in order for this journey to matter and stick! Keep with it!! WE WILL SEE IT!!
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any difference either, I started before I got on here at 271 ans now I am 237 but not a lot different I wonder when it will happen
  • gaylecw
    gaylecw Posts: 34
    Options
    I've lost almost 20 pounds and can still get in my same clothes and they weren't even tight:(. I can get in a few of my smaller clothes but not all. It really bugs me!
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This morning I hit just over 40lbs lost. Some days I feel just as fat as I did at 275lbs. I can't feel or see the difference but I know it isn't so. When i have those days where i feel like i just haven't made any changes. i whip out the camera and take pictures. about 20lbs ago i pulled out all my skinny jeans and put them on...they were hideous looking...but boy am i glad I did that because tonight i pulled them all out again and it was so exciting to see the changes in how some actually button up now, and others aren't hugging me all over. If you don't, I encourage you to take pictures. I made that mistake and didn't the last time I lost weight and i never saw the changes along the way....I won't make that mistake again.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I can't see it, but as I am getting so many compliments from others, it is obviously there.

I still go into the plus sized section to try something on then I'm like waaait why is it so big?! (from a 20 to a 12 so i'd say its a bit big lol)

Or maybe my problem is just that I avoid mirrors altogether and have pre much my whole life.