svazquez820
svazquez820 Posts: 91 Member
any good couscous recipes?

Replies

• gabwas
    gabwas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump

I bought some, but it is just sitting in my cabinet. I have made it plain in the past but would love some ideas too.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like to add some chicken broth and chopped garlic to my water. Then once it's done, I add in some feta. Delicious!
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Roast loads of veg and mix it in with stock, herbs and spices.
    Another good one is lemon and chilli. Also has raisans soaked overnight.
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Breakfast Couscous!! Instead of making it savory with broth, you make it sweet - with JUICE! Any kind of juice. Toss in some raisins and nuts. Or slice a banana on top and drizzle with agave. Yum Yum
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just experiment with herbs/seasonings.

Like Italian food? Put in some garlic powder and italian herb mix!
    Like Indian food? Put in some curry powder.
    Like Mexican food? Put in some garlic, cumin, turmeric, cayenne.
    Like Mediterranean food? Put in some lemon and feta cheese.

Sometimes I use couscous to make a 'one-pot wonder.'
    Dice some chicken and sautee in EVOO. Saute some peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc. Add it all together with your favorite seasonings, some feta, some chickpeas or beans and call it dinner! Or, add in some fried egg, beans, salsa, turkey bacon and shredded cheese to make a hearty breakfast bowl.

Couscous is so easy - treat it almost like rice!
  • HikeRunLift
    Options
    Couscous.. love it

green onion, cucumber, roma tomatoes, garbonzo beans, parsley, lemon juice, pepper and feta cheese is optional.
    love that stuff
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My absolute favourite salad is couscous, arugula and other baby leaf greens, cherry tomatoes, feta and bits of sundried tomato, with balsamico as a dressing. I sometimes put tuna or chicken in it as well for added protein.

I always make a big batch of it and keep it in the fridge but then I usually end up eating the couscous salad for every single meal!
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    red onion and chilli in low salt vegetable stock pour over couscous and let soak in is lovely esp if its a really spicy chilli
    my friend does her with Thai spices and that's also gorgeous. then I serve it with a tuna steak or chicken breast that's been grilled and plenty of green leaves rocket if i can get it
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    orange juice... I pour in juice (half and half when I'm on diet!) and leave it for half an hour or so. (No heating required). Then chop up whatever veg I have in the fridge, chuck it in and eat it!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try to cook a little bit of onion then add the couscous with broth, any spices you plan to add. That is always good. Couscous is really adaptable, so you can make it take on any matching flavors.

If you want something lighter, then mix the couscous with olive oil, herbs, and lemon juice and use it for a side salad.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    one of my favourite couscous salad and a major hit with guests of any cultural background that came to our place:

http://www.soscuisine.com/en/recipes/view/couscous-and-lentil-salad?sos_l=en

if you browse that website, they also have quinoa salads (subs for couscous if you want) and other variations of the couscous salad

p.s. the serving sizes for this salad are very big and filling, you could cut them in half and probably still be fine.

enjoy!
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. love couscous, loving these ideas. Thanks.

Love the bfast couscous idea - what a great idea, with banana.. mmmm....

x
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump for later