Looking for Mexican side dishes

Options
Hi,

I'm making chicken quesadilla's tonight. I already have a guacamole side dish. I'm looking for some other healthy side dishes to go along with it.

Thanks,

Tracy:bigsmile:

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like to make a mango salsa. Very easy.

1 mango cubed
    bunch of cilantro cut up
    1/2 red onion. (to decrease the strength of the onion, slice it up ahead of time, put it in a seperate bowl and put a lot of kosher salt over. let it sit and then when you are ready to add with the other ingredients rinse well with water and add)
    juice of 1/2 lime
    salt and pepper to taste.
    **You could also add black beans if you wanted

Just put everything in a bowl and mix then put it in the fridge for a bit so all of the flavors mesh together.
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options
    Light sour cream
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had calabacitas? It's a really common dish here in New Mexico. Sauteed green and yellow squash with onions and green chili. The traditional version has quite a bit of salt but you could modify it to be healthier. Squash is an awesome veggie and green chili has tons of vitamin C!
  • mrosem87
    mrosem87 Posts: 31
    Options
    You can try curtido. It's kind of like a coleslaw but without mayo. =). I don't really have a recipe but I'm sure if you google it, you'd find one easily.

It's more of Salvadorian side dish. But I figured, they use it to top their pupusas (which is like flat bread stuffed with cheeses, beans, meats, etc) so I think it'll be a pretty good side dish for a quesadilla.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had calabacitas? It's a really common dish here in New Mexico. Sauteed green and yellow squash with onions and green chili. The traditional version has quite a bit of salt but you could modify it to be healthier. Squash is an awesome veggie and green chili has tons of vitamin C!

so yummy.....i love calabacita.......
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Black beans?

Sautee with red and yellow peppers, onion, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Get some great fiber, protein, , vitamins A and C!
  • legalmanda
    legalmanda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to make a mexican cauliflower "rice" and beans, whenever I make mexican food.

4 cups cauliflower florets
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cans stewed tomatoes (regular or mexican style)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    Cumin, Chili Powder, and Paprika to taste

Steam cauliflower
    Saute onion until translucent
    Add tomatoes and spices to the onions, and adjust spices to taste
    Add cauliflower and mash everything until cauliflower resembles rice
    Add black beans and simmer until beans are heated through

This usually yields about 8, 1 cup, servings for me. 98 calories, 18 carbs, 1 gram of fat, 5 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber.
  • Cortez123
    Cortez123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

so yummy.....i love calabacita.......

LOVE calabacitas...Excellent side dish and thanks for helping me decide what I'm making for dinner ;).
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Pinto beans!!! Or u can use refried beans. Yummy!!!
  • keystoneman
    Options
    Someone mentioned sour cream - while not a side dish I wanted to note that you can substitute greek yogurt in it's place and I PROMISE you, you won't be able to tell the difference.

As for a side dish roasted corn, black bean, and mango salads can be great, and easy to customize.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Mexican coleslaw
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    spanish rice...vegetarian style to cut down on calories