nuts, and low cal snacks..

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
we are off on a plane ride soon and i was going to get my snacks in order. I need some good healthy snacks but the things that are portable like nuts are so high in calories. i definitely don't want to start my vacation on the wrong note on the 1st day and go over in calories.. what would you suggest? i was going to make a trail mix with raisins/ dried cranberries, almonds, a few choc chips, crispix cereal or cheerios and peanuts... but when i add them up they are really high in cals, just for a snack... i don't want to be unprepared and end up buying a bag of chips b/c i am so hungry....

Replies

• lin7604
    Options
    anyone?

i was at the store today and there was a bag of almonds with raisins and cranberries, for 1/4 of the bag was 210 calories... eekkk... not sure what to do for a good portable snack that i can bring through security?
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Why don't you go with your nuts idea, but instead of using raisins, use blueberries, blackberries or raspberries instead? Raisins tend to be really high in sugar, so that is most likely why the calories in total is adding up, of course the nuts are going to add towards it, but a lot of nuts are really good for you anyway.

To be honest, if you had to choose between eating a bag of almonds with some fruit and a bag of chips and most likely with sauce, a fish or any unhealthy deep fried meats, which would you pick? The healthiest option is the nuts and fruit lol.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have a daily snack of cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and dried prunes, it's only a little one but comes to just over 200 calories. But because it's nice "clean" food, I find it keeps me satisfied for ages without getting the hunger that would happen if I had a bag of crisps instead. So I say try it, you might be surprised!
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I NEVER travel without a protein bar. Also almonds in moderation, or even some pretzels. And drink a ton of water, and hope you're in an aisle seat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nuts are high in calories, no way around it. You're right, low calorie food is not usually very portable. I don't see a reason why you can't bring a bag of baby carrots or a piece of fruit on the plane with you though!
  • lin7604
    Options
    I NEVER travel without a protein bar. Also almonds in moderation, or even some pretzels. And drink a ton of water, and hope you're in an aisle seat.
    why a aisle seat may i ask,lol...

a protein bar is a good idea, i will have to check some out, i never had bought one before so not sure what kind to look at...
  • lin7604
    Options
    Nuts are high in calories, no way around it. You're right, low calorie food is not usually very portable. I don't see a reason why you can't bring a bag of baby carrots or a piece of fruit on the plane with you though!

it states right on the sight before going through security no fruits or veggies...no drinks,etc that's why i am stuck as to what to bring. Once you past security it's very expensive right , so i am trying to avoid that last minute cost besides buying a large bottle of water.. We went away in Dec and we saw so many people get their food taken away, some made sandwiches, etc all gone!
  • TheMarshal
    Options
    The nice thing about nuts is that because they're so high in calories you don't need to eat very much. I've found that a half-cup of almonds makes a decently filling snack. I'd also like to echo the suggestions to include some non-raisin dried fruits.
  • Alecgraham
    Alecgraham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go with Fruit.

I snack on clementines all the time. They're tasty and only 35 calories a pop.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would take a couple of protein bars and an empty water bottle, which you can fill at a water fountain once you pass through security. It's just one day though. Don't stress too much. ;-)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I know it's boring but how about an apple. If you want something not so messy, dried fruit (apples, bananas, cranberries) are tasty. Good bran cereal like fiber one, crackling oat bran is easy to pack and with lots of fiber will help keep away the hungries.
  • lin7604
    Options
    If it were me, I would take a couple of protein bars and an empty water bottle, which you can fill at a water fountain once you pass through security. It's just one day though. Don't stress too much. ;-)

That is a super idea, why didn't i think of that! a empty water bottle, sheesh such a great idea! It is for 1 day only but the fact is i have no will power, i ave in easy! I am going to a all inclusive for 1 week and i know i will be over all week with cals daily,,so I don't want to start my vacation on a wrong note when i can have something to do with making a " right/ better " choice. :)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. I have low willpower too and once I've screwed up, I screw up even more. Have a great time!
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx. yes that is exactly how i am, so i have to think positive :)
  • Sandra82874
    Options
    Have you thought about dry honey nut cheerios, they are only 73 calories for a cup.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Craisins are not too bad in cals and filling. A clementine (cutie) is about 40 cal. Fruits are pretty good for snacking. most are around 100 or less. Thats usually what I have for low cal snacks. Most of my other snack need refrigerating or are a fairly higher in cals than what you're wanting.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I think everyone would go crazy if someone were to eat an apple on a plane. I can just imagine the loud, juicy crunch echoing through the cabin, waking a baby, and the horror that ensues.... :wink:
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We pack sandwiches and granola bars for plane rides. But then we don't snack much during the day... the sandwiches are to avoid buying $10 boxes of crackers and cheese when we're starving on the plane. I say, pack what you would normally eat for the times you would normally eat it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

it states right on the sight before going through security no fruits or veggies...no drinks,etc that's why i am stuck as to what to bring. Once you past security it's very expensive right , so i am trying to avoid that last minute cost besides buying a large bottle of water.. We went away in Dec and we saw so many people get their food taken away, some made sandwiches, etc all gone!

oh yea. i forget about that. i have taken food on a plane, but it was packaged and unopened.
  • snyder806
    Options
    I have found an awsome snack, they are Blue Diamond almonds and they are 100 calorie packs but they have a dust coating of dark chocolate on them, they are absolutly amazing and my daily snack.