Alternatives to running?

Options
Hi all,

I was just looking for some recommendations of good cardio exercises outside of running? Running simply kills my knees and hips and I find myself clockwatching way too much while I'm doing it, so I'm hoping to find something else as good that will burn good calories?

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Biking and swimming. My knee can't take it either after my accident. I shattered my patella in 2006 and it's never been the same.
  • leslielightfoot
    leslielightfoot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Zumba. Awesome cardio and I find it `Fun`. too.

Leslie :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My knees hurt if I run for more than a few minutes, and also I find running to be spectacularly boring. I wish I could be a marathon runner but it ain't happening :)

I get a phenomenal workout from kickboxing/boxing or muay thai. If you have a place where you can swim, that is an amazing cardio workout!! (shh don't tell anyone: Jogging is actually pretty inefficient as a cardio workout anyway, as a measure of time and energy expended :))
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was just looking for some recommendations of good cardio exercises outside of running? Running simply kills my knees and hips and I find myself clockwatching way too much while I'm doing it, so I'm hoping to find something else as good that will burn good calories?

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Elliptical, arch trainer, swimming, biking, crossfit, HIT aerobics, and more.
  • YvetteRoy
    YvetteRoy Posts: 13
    Options
    You could try an elliptcal machine. It's less impact on your ankles and knees but still a very effective cardio workout.
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The Gauntlet! It's the large stairmaster that is actual stairs. Killer workout!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Skating, rollerblading, power walking, jumping rope, swimming, cycling. Find your athletic muse and enjoy.
  • HappyJamese17
    Options
    A machine call SmartStride. It mimics the stride as you were running without the impact. I love this machine!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to burn more calories on the stairmaster than the treadmill, and it doesn't impact your knee although it is bending and unbending
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just started hitting the heavy bag in the last couple of weeks and was shocked at how much cardio vs. strength training it offers...not to mention stress relief :) Another great cardio option is rowing. It gets your heart rate up and works everything in your body with minimal stress on knees/hips.
    I have issues with knees/back & hips for years and have found doing yoga 1-2 times a week has significantly strengthened me. It's a nice light/relaxing option to consider.
    Good Luck :happy:
  • BKR1977
    BKR1977 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rowing.
    Not the crossfit get on for 2 minutes and get off either. Go at a medium setting and a controlled effort pacing yourself for a 5k meters. youtube some rowing videos so you don't hurt yourself.

Biking, swimming, and ellipticals are fine options too.