Help with taking measurements

Options
I am new to taking body measurements and would love to know the proper way/places/etc. For example the smallest part of my midsection is up by my ribs. I have been told to suck in your gut and measure around where you belly button moves to. Just lost in this area? I can see the results in the mirror, but would love to know the inches.

Thanks

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    For women, there is a difference between "natural waistline" (which is about an inch above the bellybutton, just under your lower ribs, and it's usually the thinnest part of your midsection) and a pants waistline which is lower.

The best place to measure is one where you can find easily and be consistent. What you described (your natural waistline) sounds like a good place to take measurements from. Don't suck in, just stand naturally.
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but that does not cover the large amount of fat/gut that hangs out below that line. How to I see if that is going away?
  • kelketchum
    kelketchum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I measure it all! I just write it down as waist and belly. That way I can see them both. And don't suck in when you do it. That is just cheating! :)
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Where do you measure the hips at?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Where do you measure the hips at?

the hip measurement is the widest part of your butt... For me it's around the outside of my upper thighs
  • heatherallen1020
    Options
    I believe you put the tape measure right on the middle of your bottom thats usually the biggest part, at least thats what i do