Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Haha :) I walked my dog for an hour today and only burned 150 calories
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For me MFP was underestimating my calories burned. But I am also very over weight and new to exercise and have noticed that as the days and weeks go on my calories burned are going down. I think its maybe I'm just getting stronger?

Yup - the more fit you are and the less you weigh (keep updating that setting in your HRM people!) the less you burn. It's sort of sad but it's a good thing because you're heart is getting stronger and you're in better shape. I probably burn about 10% less per hour, unless I'm going at super high intensity, than I did about 3 months ago. :grumble:

You need to adjust the fitness level as well as the weight--although I'm not sure that's possible in all HRMs.

It's not true that the "more fit you become, the fewer calories you burn". That's true if your weight decreases, but not if fitness level increases.

It's true that the HRM will DISPLAY fewer calories, but that's because the HRM assumes your fitness level has not changed. But that's an HRM issue, not a calorie issue.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Thanks for letting me whine there for a minute. I guess it was a well-needed reality check. I will continue to use it and post accurate numbers.

@Zookeeper: I meant that when I first put the watch on, it has to measure my current heart rate before I get started. No, that's not my actual "resting" heart rate (today's 99), but I don't know if the machine knows that or not, or if it even matters. That's all I was saying anyway.

ah, ok. There should be somewhere that you can input your actual resting heart rate that you measure first thing in the morning. I don't have the same brand as you so sorry that I can't be more specific. I think this might make a difference for your calories burned, but either way don't be discouraged. Just find something you enjoy & let the calorie count land wherever it does. :)
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For me MFP was underestimating my calories burned. But I am also very over weight and new to exercise and have noticed that as the days and weeks go on my calories burned are going down. I think its maybe I'm just getting stronger?

Yup - the more fit you are and the less you weigh (keep updating that setting in your HRM people!) the less you burn. It's sort of sad but it's a good thing because you're heart is getting stronger and you're in better shape. I probably burn about 10% less per hour, unless I'm going at super high intensity, than I did about 3 months ago. :grumble:

You need to adjust the fitness level as well as the weight--although I'm not sure that's possible in all HRMs.

It's not true that the "more fit you become, the fewer calories you burn". That's true if your weight decreases, but not if fitness level increases.

It's true that the HRM will DISPLAY fewer calories, but that's because the HRM assumes your fitness level has not changed. But that's an HRM issue, not a calorie issue.

And HRM dont factor in the muscle groups being used. I can raise my HR up by flailing my arms, but ill burn more calories doing squats.
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yup I relate, I got a FT 7 polar last week and it was the same thing, then I realized I was eating back calories I thought i burned so now I just increased my exercise time. and know exactly what i am burning. But I too was bummed for a couple days